Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Anomalous display driver crashes

• Please log in to reply

JohnSheen

JohnSheen

• PipPip
  • 62 posts
Not that it works but :) there is a FIX IT tool at the microsoft page, please download and run it, and waiting your update about your temps ;) well, the solution in the windows page is for software related problems, but from the look of it, your problem is about gpu itself, but it doesnt hurt to try ;)

you don't have to do manually about the FIX IT tool, it will fix the registry entries itself. Run that tool, and inform me about the result :)

See you, Take care

Advertisements

averysadman

averysadman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts
I was able to get the card stable at 800Mhz with 1.134V, it dropped 10°C in games and 15°C in Furmark, now it rarely exceeds 50°C in games like Battlefield 3 and Crysis 2, which is awesome. So that was just me being a retard and setting the voltage too high. I tried getting it a little higher, but once I reach 830MHz it crashes Unigine Valley and fails the AMD benchmark test. I'm not too bothered about that though, 800MHz is fine for me and the cooler temps are great, thanks for the advice! :D

I ran FIX IT, and was able to play Sleeping Dogs for a couple of hours with no crashes, however it started crashing again, same error message.

So the card runs cooler now which is great, however neither of those seems to have fixed the original problem. If FIX IT made it run for longer without crashing, does that mean the problem is related to the registry values it changed?

JohnSheen

JohnSheen

• PipPip
  • 62 posts
Sorry about the long time :( I was pretty busy lastly and it's the first ı could get to my pc :)

Hmm, please check from regedit that your TDR value is 8.

here is the steps to follow, Under method one, click on the plus sign writing " I want to fix it myself" . It is the same fix it thing we used, but check manually if the value if 0x00000008 not sure bout the zeros but 8 should be at the very end :)

FIX IT

Apply the steps, Update to the latest drivers. And if this does not helps, please remove your OC on your card, and run your games again. and check if they crash.

Hope, these helps :) I am running out of solutions myself :D but please update your drivers. Remove the old one and download the new beta version it should be Catalyst 13.9 Beta.

Take care,
Good night :)

averysadman

averysadman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts
Hi, I've tried everything you suggested, removed the OC on my card and reset to stock voltage and clocks (even tried running it at 400MHz), verified the registry value, tried the new Beta drivers, no changes.

At this point I'm inclined to think it's just these two games, as I have installed new games since with no issues. I may just put this one down to some strange incompatibility and call it a day.

JohnSheen

JohnSheen

• PipPip
  • 62 posts
Hmmm, I am sorry to hear that, people talks about deleting the game files except the save files from the game folder at the users section. I don't know if it works for good and everyone, look for it and it might help you, I only experienced such thing while overclocking and a little overvolting always helped, but your case is different though. But I read some games are flawed like that for some users.

I don't know man, good luck with that my knowledge upon this problem came to an end :D but please inform me about your GPU temps and stuff because your card was running insane hot if I am correct.

Yeah you wrote the gpu is cooler now :) but please tell me at which fan speed you are running your gpu and at which temps under load.

Sorry for the late post, I wasnt able to check internet for long :(

Take care

averysadman

averysadman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts
My GPU is much cooler now, your voltage advice was really good. Currently ~35°C idle with the fans on about 40%, and it never exceeds 52°C under heavy load with the fans at 100%. Used to reach 70°C before when my voltages were too high.
Yeah the problem is probably just being caused by my specific card and that specific version of the game or something, there are too many variables with this kind of thing. One game isn't really a huge loss, I don't mind too much, and it hasn't happened in any other games so far.

JohnSheen

JohnSheen

• PipPip
  • 62 posts
Hmmm really good :)

what happens when you decrease your fan speed to 40/45 percent while under load?
Forcing the card to run at 100% is too much. I only run mine at 45% while playing Crysis 3 and 50% when it is summer but never over 50%. And mine is Oc'd, eventhough just a modest one for the sake of fan noise and temps.

Have a good day :)