Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Question on PSU/GPU

• Please log in to reply

sadyka

sadyka

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Recently just acquired a friend of mines old desktop.
(Dell Inspiron 580) , Not the slim model.

Everything is stock in it except for
-Graphics Card (Nvidia GTS 250)
-Power Supply (Fatal1ty 550w)
-RAM (6GBS DDR3)

First off, what could cause the Nvidia card to display at bootup "Not enough power to supply Graphics card with optimal power, so it'll be toned down to prevent damage" .
With the research I compiled it was showing you only needed 350/450 watt to power the card.

On another note, I'm not actually keeping this graphics card, just wanted to know if I upgraded to say a better card (I know what I'm looking at in terms of cards already)
Would this issue persist?

Advertisements

JohnSheen

JohnSheen

• PipPip
  • 62 posts
Hello, sadyka, Welcome to the forum,

Let's see if we can bring a solution to your case :)

I am John,

And first, I want you to download these 2 programs linked below,

GPU-Z

Speed Fan

Next step,

Please download the benchmark program UNIGINE Valley, linked below,

Unigine Valley

After you set up Unigine Valley, run the program by double clicking, Then select DX10, it is your GPU's dx version. Set, the rest of the settings to maximum. Then click run. Please uncheck fullscreen.

NOTE: I suggest you to keep an aggresive fan profile during Unigine tests, because we dont want overheating get in our way. Set your fan around 55-60% so that the card can stay cool during our tests.

Your problem may because of a defected PSU, since a 550w PSU should power a gts250 without any problem.

Ok, while you are running Unigine with fullscreen unchecked, please run the two monitoring programs you downloaded.

And send me screenshots from Speedfan, regarding voltages on 12V rail and 5V rail.

Also, from GPU-Z send me readings on the Sensors tab, the very middle one of the three tabs above.
Especially note the min. and max values on the VDDC and VDDC Current readings.

VDDC current box is right below VDDC box, so you cant miss it. scroll down the bar if you need to, because we dont have to see the temps above really :D

That's it take care,

+1 if it helps,

See you,
Peace

sadyka

sadyka

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks John, I'm actually about to arrive back at home.
I'll post the results and stuff, Actually my first PC I'm building before I head out to basic. Thanks again.

sadyka

sadyka

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Basically, I tried what you're saying.
The GPU-Z program works out fine, but in Speedfan I've gone thru every option trying to get the voltages to appear.
Even ran the Unigine and that actually crashed halfway through running everything maxed out.

Sorry for all the trouble. :/

Attached Thumbnails

• Nvidia Warning.jpg
  • SPEEDFAN.jpg

JohnSheen

JohnSheen

• PipPip
  • 62 posts
Can you open your computer case?

and check the 6-pin power connector that goes out of your PSU's 12V rail and goes to your gpu. Make, sure it is all in their places. Unplug and plug the 6-pin connector slowly to the 6-pin slot on your GPU.

If it does not work, there must be problem with the connectors, please if there are any available at free, try them. Your PSU seems to be modular, so the cables should be able to come out and are replaceable.

If this does not solves your problem, please run the Unigine benchmark again and please send me the VDDC Current reading from GPU-Z sensors tab. We must be sure that your PSU supplies enough amount of power. But, what I think is your friend did not attach the correct cables to correct places :D

JohnSheen

JohnSheen

• PipPip
  • 62 posts
If there is no 6-pin power connector cable, please tell me what other options you have attached on the 12V rail. not others but, 12V rail it is the power rail that you GPU uses.

sadyka

sadyka

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
https://docs.google....dit?usp=sharing

Basically this is what I'm dealing with, like I said I'm kind of new to all this.
Sorry for all the trouble :/ I do know there is I believe two slots open.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Gday.
Hope no one takes offence as I but in.

First step.
Turn off the computer and disconnect from the wall socket.
Open the case.
Take anti static measures by briefly touching a bare unpainted metal part of the computer case.

See the image below.

Please check that the cable plugged into the video card is firmly seated in place then trace it back to the PSU socket and make sure that is also firmly seated.

Turn the computer back on and test.
Result please.

Here is a link to your PSU. > http://www.xtremecom...ries_psu,4.html

JohnSheen

JohnSheen

• PipPip
  • 62 posts
Hello iammykyl , thanks for the safety tips and picture illustrations on the topic :)

It was late at night It seems I missed the important safety rules :)

Thanks for reminding :)

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Your welcome JohnSheen, Posted Image

Gday sadyka .
How are things going? an update would be appreciated.