Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC keeps cutting out and rebooting randomly

• Please log in to reply

lowra muser

lowra muser

• PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
Hi,

My PC keeps folding and rebooting under it's own volition. Basically, I have an old PC that has been given to me. If I can get it running properly again that would be great.

PC Spec is as follows:
PC: ASUS Desktop (HDMI enabled - excuse my terminology - I'm not an expert)
Motherboard Manufacturer: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
Model: GA-73PVM-S2H
Total Installed Memory: 4 GB
Modules Installed: Slot "Bank0/1" has 2 GB installed Slot "Bank2/3" has 2 GB installed
Windows XP

Problems
I recently purchased 4gb of new ram for my PC (an upgrade from the previous 2gb) as I had run Memtest, Win Mem Diagnostics & Memtest 86+ which brought back results saying my RAM was faulty. ANYHOW... I installed the new RAM yesterday.n. AND... The problems I had pre-'New Ram' are still prevalent. These being: -

1. PC shuts down under own volition and reboots, sometimes with a disk scan sometimes without. ALWAYS with 'Your system has recovered from a serious error. Do you wish to send a report?' message.
2. Blue screens, once every week or 2 weeks (I have had PC for 2 months)
3. Google chrome crashes lots.

Latest
I have ran Memtest 86 today and it says my brand new RAM is faulty (which I doubt).

Where I'm at...
I wonder, does anybody know where I should go from here in trying to rectify the problem of my PC shutting down?

Many Thanks in advance for any help people may be able to give :)

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
Hello

I suggest that you check out the PSU first either by swapping in a known good working one or if the PC will stay on long enough run Speedfan and HWMonitor, see details below.

Can you also provide the brand and model name or number details for the present PSU.

Download Speedfan and install it. Once it's installed, run the program and post here the information it shows. The information I want you to post is the stuff that is circled in the example picture I have attached.
If you are running on a vista machine, please go to where you installed the program and run the program as administrator.

Posted Image
(this is a screenshot from a vista machine)

To capture and post a screenshot;

Click on the ALT key + PRT SCR key..its on the top row..right hand side..now click on start...all programs...accessories...paint....left click in the white area ...press CTRL + V...click on file...click on save...save it to your desktop...name it something related to the screen your capturing... BE SURE TO SAVE IT AS A .JPG ...otherwise it may be to big to upload... then after typing in any response you have... click on browse...desktop...find the screenshot..select it and click on the upload button...then on the lower left...after it says upload successful...click on add reply like you normally would.

Depending on the results we may need to run further software for comparison http://www.cpuid.com.../hwmonitor.html

Screenshot instructions are provided to assist those that may read this topic but are not yet aware of the “how to”.

lowra muser

lowra muser

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
Thank you very much. Jpg attached

Attached Thumbnails

• spdchk.JPG

lowra muser

lowra muser

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
Also... For PSU...

KIMPRO ATX Switching Power Supply
2.03 P4
DC:WIN-650PE 650W
AC:200-240 AC 60HZ

Thanks

lowra muser

lowra muser

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
and... just in case...

Thanks

Attached Thumbnails

• CPUID.JPG

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Gday.
While Phillpower2 is offline, Please perform the following tasks so he has more information when he comes back.

We need another look at the voltage. Go > http://www.guru3d.co...echpowerup.html to download GPU-Z, click on > Download from Guru3D.com Mirror 1 (bottom left of the page) Ensure the sensor tab is selected when running, please post a screenshot.

Download Speccy Free, > http://www.piriform....speccy/download (use Piriform.com link)
How to publish the Snapshot, > https://www.piriform...file-to-the-web

Safety Measure.
Turn off the PSU
Disconnect from the wall plug.
Take anti static measures, even when handling parts, by briefly touching a bare metal part of the computer case.

Please let us know the exact brand and model of the old and new RAM, then, if you have not already done so? (using the new RAM first)
Remove the stick from the slot furthest away from the CPU and test.
Test the other stick in the same slot, closest to the CPU.
If both are OK" Test again with both sticks installed. Please report.

Perform the same test again using the old RAM. Again, please report.

This is you MB page, > http://www.gigabyte....spx?pid=2691#sp

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
Thanks for the updates lowra muser and to iammykyl for the additional guidance :thumbsup:

The PSU voltage readings are inconclusive so checking them again under load is advised, what I did note is that the +3.3V rail reading is marginally high and this can affect the memory slots (see attachments below) do you know if any attempt at overclocking the computer has ever been made, try restoring the MBs factory default settings to see if it helps, let us know if you need help with this.

I had never heard of the KIMPRO brand of PSU (not a good sign) so I Googled it and was less than impressed with what I found, please see the reply #35 of trumpet-205 Here

Couple of other things that can cause this are a faulty power on or reset button and a short circuit.

lowra muser

lowra muser

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
Hi Chaps...

Sorry for the delay in responding!

1. I have attached the GPU-Z screenshot and here is the http:/ for my speccy analysis - http://speccy.pirifo...Wb3A5MApVTcjjqX

2. As far as I know, no attempt has been made to overclock the PC. Also, Yes! I would need some help in resetting the MB to factory settings, thanks. I honestly have no idea how to do that.

3. Re: RAM. I tried to test the new RAM using 'Memtest86'... Though not sure what happened but Memetest wouldn't work with just one of the new sticks of RAM in the slot nearest to CPU. Turned off and tried other stick... still no good. Turned off... Tried the old RAM and again, did not work.

I then, turned off and put both sticks of new RAM and turned on PC and it restarted in SAFE MODE. I then restarted PC and it seems to be okay. I say okay, as it seems a little more unstable now... Chrome constantly keeps crashing.

Anyhow. Enough of my panic stricken prose!! :D will continue on next post...

Attached Thumbnails

• GPUZ.JPG

lowra muser

lowra muser

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
Hiya...

My new RAM is 'Hynix'. The old RAM was USI.

Thanks

lowra muser

lowra muser

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
I forgot one point... testing my PSU under 'load'...

I checked on-line and came across one programme on cnet called Prime95? Obviously, I'm feeling around in the dark here... I'll await to see what you guys say...

Cheers

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
Speccy shows an anomalous power reading as in CMOS BATTERY: 12.224 V which I suspect is actually the +12V rail on the PSU.

To restore the MBs default settings, restart the computer and access the BIOS by tapping the required key (Del or Esc etc) before the system gets to Windows, once in the BIOS navigate the screen until you find an entry such as "restore default settings" or "most stable settings" once selected press F10 to save the settings and then Y to accept the changes and you are done.

Try creating a new Page File for the Ram issue, please see Here

To put the computer under load watch a video or do some gaming and then check the PSU readings for us please.

lowra muser

lowra muser

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
Hi and thanks Phillpower2 (and iammykyl) for your help so far!

Apologies for these late responses. V busy at mo getting back to college (mature student!) AND the PC is 'intermittent' to put it politely. Driving me up the wall, not so!
Anyhow... I have a small notebook I am using for now... will upload spdtest result when I can get PC to work for long enough...
This is what I have done so far...

1. I have restored the MB to default safe settings. Thank you. I get this on the start up pages now... Could you advice please? It says...

"
*SATA is found running at IDE MODE!
*SETUP option is available to set SATA to ACHI mode
*Now is IDE mode, the system can not support the Hot Plug
*Would you change the mode Y/N?
Do you want BIOS to enable this option for you?

Y:Yes, set SATA to ACHI mode for me
N:No, do not show this message again

Select Option...... ? "

2. I have created a new Page File from the link you gave me, Thanks!

3. I have ran speed test under load ie. I used youtube. Will add results ASAP.

4. A friend has a 250W DC output PSU I could try. As this is substantially lower than my existing 650W PSU would it work?

Cheers

lowra muser

lowra muser

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
spd

Attached Thumbnails

• spd load.JPG

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
Good work done lowra muser :thumbsup:

The +12V rail on the PSU is reading as being low so can you check it in the BIOS please, no screen shot is required I only ask that you make a note of and provide the readings as shown in the attachment below;

NB: BIOS voltage readings.
The readings are not conclusive in the BIOS as the computer is under the least amount of load, if they are higher or lower than what they should be though it does suggest a PSU problem.

Tip

If you have something to add while you are waiting for a reply can you use the edit tab please, this will ensure that nothing is overlooked + it does not fill up peoples inbox, thank you for understanding.

The 250W PSU would be ok for testing purposes but not for long term use BTW :thumbsup:

lowra muser

lowra muser

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
Thanks Phillopower2 Posted Image and noted on the tip... inbox notifications didn't even register Posted Image

Info from BIOS was:

V Core: 1.362V
DDR2 1.8V: 1.856V
+3.3V: 3.376V
+12V: 11.985V
Current system Temp: 30 deg C
"" CPU Temp: 30 deg C
"" CPU Fan Spd: 770RPM (we know this already - just thought would add it)
"" System Fan Spd: 0 RPM

Thanks for info on 250W PSU. Will use if need to...

Where do you think we need to go from here?

Cheers