Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

PC keeps cutting out and rebooting randomly

• Please log in to reply

lowra muser

lowra muser

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
Okay. That is frustrating. But I know you wouldn't ask unless it was necessary. I will do it in the morning. I hope we can try and get to the bottom/get things sorted in the next few days as I am back at college in a weeks time (not that that is anybody's problem but mine). But, seriously need to know asap if this PC is repairable, as if not, I need to get my hands on one that works(trying already)/try to finance buying a new one to do my college work etc...

Many Thanks Posted Image

Edited by lowra muser, 30 December 2013 - 09:20 PM.

Advertisements

lowra muser

lowra muser

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
ps. Just went downstairs and got screenshots from PC as was making a late night, can't sleep cup of tea, but then realised I can not get the images off the PC. Will ask my housemates in the morning to use one of their pc's

Cheers

lowra muser

lowra muser

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
Cheers :)

Attached Thumbnails

• 1.JPG
  • 2.JPG
  • 3.JPG

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 6,763 posts
Thanks for the update.
With the computer on and windows at the desktop.
> Insert the MB disc.
At the first screen, with the Driver tab highlighted.
> Click the Express install and follow the prompts.
When finished and back at the first screen. Make sure the Software tab is highlighted.
Click to install each item seperately.
Acrobat Reader.
Gigabyte C.O.M.
EayyTune 5.
DMI Viewer.
Face Wizard.
@BIOS
I-Cool.

When finished, remove the MB disk and restart the computer.
Update windows.

Please do not install anything else until you let us know how the system behaves.

lowra muser

lowra muser

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
Easy Tune 5 and Gigabyte C.O.M. are conflicting with each other... each one says to remove the other before installing the other.

If you try to install easy tune... It comes up "Please remove C.O.M. first!"

When installing COM it says to "Remove Easy Tune 5 first"...

Please advise if possible. Many Thanks

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 6,763 posts
Gday.
That's a strange one, nothing in the docs about it.
Please install Easy Tune.
Forget about the Gigabyte C.O.M.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 6,763 posts
Please note, just edited reply #141.

RSVP.

lowra muser

lowra muser

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
Hiya... and thanks for quick reply. Will do. Cheers. You must have celebrated quite a few hours before us ay! Posted Image

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 6,763 posts
Here it is Thursday 2/2/2014 12.11 AM. Happy New Year.
and just about to go to bed.

lowra muser

lowra muser

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
Happy New Year. I got your updated post too. Cheers!

Advertisements

lowra muser

lowra muser

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
Hiya Michael...

Okay, I have installed all the chipset drivers and now the software too (minus the Gigabyte C.O.M. program as we agreed)...

I'm now trying to windows update, and I now believe people use microsoft update. When I last clean installed I came up against the problem that XP has connecting to windows update. I have attached a link below to give you an idea of the sort of problems faced (apologies if you know already). Something to do with it being a problem the MS don't want to address as it has only a few months left till they terminate support.

Jfyi,
  • I do remember last time that I had to manually install SP3, though I'm not going to jump the gun, will await your thoiughts as we are going well with this install.
  • Also, I may have had to install one or two windows updates other than service packs last time too, but to be honest I can't remember exactly what they were, but seem to remember there was a conflicting update that wouldn't update before you installed one before the other - anyways, obviously these points are academic as we're yet to get that far.

I have set windows to autoupdate in the hope that this will circumvent the need to mess about with win/microsoft update? Please let me know your thoughts. It hasn't updated yet. I am leaving the PC on all night till morning (it is now 21.45). I have tried to autoupdate a couple of times in the last few hours, by setting the update time to the next coming hour, though, with no joy. I have now set it for 10pm, and rebooted it in the hope that this does some good, if not, before I go to bed I will set it to the standard 3am, and hope that this works. Historically, Autoupdate seems to have had a mind of it's own and work when it wanted to, in my experience?!

Okay, cheers for now. And thanks for reading lengthy post. Posted Image

Ta. Craig Posted Image

XP Win/Microsoft Update Problem

Edited by lowra muser, 01 January 2014 - 04:10 PM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 6,763 posts
Gday.
Thanks for the update and links.
I think we will try a direct updates and see what happens.
Please look in the notification area, if you have a shield from Microsoft/windows, right click and see what it is about, reply with info, do not proceed further.

If there is no notification.
> go control panel, > Automatic Updates, > disable.
Go to > http://windows.micro...rer/download-ie Please note, this box is ticked, I would also like Bing and MSN defaults. I do not use them as they use lots of resources, up to you, untick if you do not want.
> Click, Download Internet Explorer 8 and follow the prompts.
When instilled, because you do not yet have anti virus installed, browse around the microsoft or windows sites for half an hour, if remains stable.
> exit IE.
> go back to Auto updates and enable, leave set at defaults.
leave the computer running and you should see the shield pop up again in the notification bar. Allow all updates to install, post back progress please.

lowra muser

lowra muser

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
Before I can install IE8, I have to install update KB932823. Jfyi this is what happened last time. IE will not DL the update as it is crashing. Last time I had to DL on my laptop, and then transfer & install via USB datastick. I can do so this time, but what do you think about IE crashing at this early stage?

PS. The only MS notification shield present is a red one advising to turn on antivirus. There is no yellow one.

Cheers for now

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 6,763 posts
Thanks for the update.
There is so much conflicting information about fixing these issues it is a bit hard to know where to start.If Ie will stay up long enough,
Go to > http://api.viglink.c..._13887178932099 Downland and then run.'
'Go to control panel, set windows update to download and install Auto, > Apply, start.
Leave the computer running and see if the yellow shield appears.

lowra muser

lowra muser

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
Unfortunately, IE doesn't stay open long enough to DL SP3... Drat and darn it...