Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC keeps cutting out and rebooting randomly

• Please log in to reply

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
My apologies lowra muser I overlooked replying to the following;

*SATA is found running at IDE MODE!
*SETUP option is available to set SATA to ACHI mode
*Now is IDE mode, the system can not support the Hot Plug
*Would you change the mode Y/N?
Do you want BIOS to enable this option for you?

Y:Yes, set SATA to ACHI mode for me
N:No, do not show this message again

Select Option...... ? "

Select the following option and see how things go please "Y:Yes, set SATA to ACHI mode for me"

You are most welcome BTW :thumbsup:

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Gday.
Have you reset SATA to AHCI yet? Did it make any difference to the performance?
Have you tried the 250W PSU? Results please, including screen shot for the voltage rails.Thanks.

lowra muser

lowra muser

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
Hi Phillpower2 and iammykyl...

I have set the SATA to ACHI... and as I type (on notebook) the PC is doing a continuous loop...

It gets as far as asking if I want to start the PC in the three types of Safe Mode or Start Windows Normally... But the keyboard is locked up, it does not work... JFYI chaps, the keyboard is only active for the very first couple of seconds as the PC boots up again... Just thought would let you know...

I have not used the other PSU yet... There are lots of wires coming off it! It looks foreboding! Posted Image Joking apart, will try if required...

Thanks

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
When you next restart the computer keep tapping the F8 key and tell us what happens please.

lowra muser

lowra muser

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
No change... Still the same looping process so far...

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

No change... Still the same looping process so far...

Were you tapping the F8 key as soon as the power was turned on, this to see if you can boot into Safe Mode (before it tries to load Windows) which may keep the keyboard active - which type of keyboard are you using PS/2 or the USB type.

lowra muser

lowra muser

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
Hiya Phillpower2,

Yes, I was tapping from the start... but F8 no joy... Though the keyboard is responsive up to that point as 'Delete' key will take me to BIOS? The keyboard is a USB fitting...

edit: have to go out now... won't be able respond for next 3-4 hours ... Cheers:)

Edited by lowra muser, 17 September 2013 - 11:55 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
Hello lowra muser

Do you have or can you borrow a wired PS/2 type keyboard as they will often work when the USB type will not, this can be caused by there being no USB drivers available once the BIOS chip hands over control to the OS (XP in this instance) or by the USB ports being disabled in the BIOS, when you have the time please check the latter in the BIOS.

NB: There are also adapters available that convert the USB type keyboard to the PS/2 type, see example Here

lowra muser

lowra muser

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
Hi... Sorry once again for delay...

Managed to go into BIOS and enable USB Keyboard! Brilliant and Thanks Posted Image

Okay, so, F8 takes you to the options screen with more start up choices than your average 'Safe Mode' screen... select Safe Mode, then you select 'MS Win XP Pro' and it still loops...

When the PC restarts, it gives you the option to start in SM again, though still loops... likewise if allow it to start normally, it will loop, with a blue screen appearing before folding. It doesnt seem to want to do anything but cycle at the moment...

Cheers for now

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
Hello lowra muser

No worries about the delay as none of us can be here 24/7 :thumbsup:

Can you navigate the BIOS and select the "Restore Default Settings" again, this to see if the problem is caused by a repeated bad MB setting.

If after checking the above the problem is the same I suggest that the integrity of the HDD is checked by running the diagnostic tool that is appropriate for your brand of HDD (let us know if there is data on the HDD that you would like to try and back up first) if there is no important data please refer to the canned text below;

Run the HDDs diagnostics tool;

Make sure you select the tool that is appropriate for the brand of your hard drive http://www.tacktech....ay.cfm?ttid=287
Depending on the program it'll create a bootable floppy or a bootable DVD/CD.
If the downloaded file is the .iso type use ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/ to burn the .iso file to a DVD/CD disk depending on your OS (select "Write image file to disc" option) and make the disk bootable.
RE ImgBurn: please use the custom install and uncheck the attached foistware such as "Install Entrusted Toolbar etc"

Advertisements

lowra muser

lowra muser

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
Hi Phillpower2,

No problem, that is right! Posted Image

Okay, I changed the setting to 'Load default fail safe settings' and it booted up no problem. I then played youtube and the PC froze, so at least it didn't shut down or stumble at the first hurdle as before and just loop before booting the OS!

I will still DL and use the HDD tool in the mean time, unless I hear of you in due course...

Cheers

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
Hello lowra muser

Good to hear that the computer will now boot so as a reminder can I refer you back to my reply #26

(let us know if there is data on the HDD that you would like to try and back up first)

This because the HDD diagnostic tools are designed to stress test a HDD and this can result in a flaky HDD failing - I suggest that you create an image of the present XP installation and any other data on the HDD that you wish to keep, you can useMacrium Reflect(free) for this.

Let us know when you have done the back up and run the HDD diagnostics please.

lowra muser

lowra muser

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
Hiya...

Update...

1. After updating to 'Fail-safe default settings' through the BIOS... I hadn't realised, but we have returned back to the option of system saying that HD is still in IDE mode...
If I click Yes and return to ACHI mode it returns to looping process - Just to let you know...

2. So, I have burnt the iso image using imgburn to CD, but it is not bootable? It says that it is bootable in imgburn, but no joy booting from CD rom, even if you select 'CD-Rom' as the 1st boot device.

3. I have backed up my files & also created a mirror using 'Macrium Reflect'...

At the stage now where wish to proceed with HDD check, but cannot make the disc bootable? Any advice, please?

Many Thanks, Lowra Muser

edit: PS. Ref: your pointer - "let us know if you need to back-up any files" - Had already backed them up a couple of weeks ago as was considering changing to Win 7... before I realised needed to get this sorted first Posted Image

Edited by lowra muser, 22 September 2013 - 07:10 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
Hello Lowra Muser

Would it be possible to try the disk on another computer to see if it will boot on that, if it does try leaving the disk in your own computer then changing the ACHI mode back on and restarting the computer and see if the diagnostic tool disk can be booted from, this with the 'CD-Rom' still as the 1st boot device, if no joy revert back to IDE and update us please.

lowra muser

lowra muser

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
Hi Phillpower2,

Unfortunately, I haven't got another pc, this notepad has no cd drive. But have used memtest disc that i knew worked and it has booted. but i am unsure as to whether it is ide or achi mode now. i think it's in ide mode. either way, after setting the bios to usb keyboard and cd boot it has now booted up 'maxtor' from cd-rom. Shall i proceed?

Apologies for confusion (and lower case!)... between this antiquated notepad AND PC< I HAVE MANAGED TO GET< WELL CONFUSED. Posted Image

CHEERS