Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC keeps cutting out and rebooting randomly

• Please log in to reply

lowra muser

lowra muser

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts

I believe you tried a different PSU and different RAM. So to make sure of what is currently installed.
Please answer all these questions.
What PSU is installed now, brand/model...
KIMPRO ATX Switching Power Supply
2.03 P4
DC:WIN-650PE 650W
AC:200-240 AC 60HZ

What RAM is installed now, brand/model. - 'Hynix' 2gb sticks x 2 - 240-pin DDR2 PC2-5300 667MHz
Have you installed a add on video card? - No, no add on video card
Please post the answers fir and then do the following,- Downloading revouninstaller as we speak will add to 'geeks' folder

Please see attached pic for MB disc...

Cheers for now :)

Attached Thumbnails

• IMGP0105.JPG

Edited by lowra muser, 19 November 2013 - 02:47 PM.

Advertisements

lowra muser

lowra muser

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Create a new folder on the Desktop and call it Geeks.
Go to > http://www.revounins...e_download.html Download the free version and save the Geek folder on the desktop

Done! I haven't ran revo yet... but have attached screen-shot of where we're at...

Cheers...

Attached Thumbnails

• revo initial screen.JPG

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
OK, Thank you for the information, good. We will not be running Revo yet.
That CD should run, lets try something else.
You must do this using the IE browser, if you are prompted to allow Active x, click, Allow.
Go to, > http://www.gigabyte....oad-center.html Download to the Geek folder, install, follow the prompts to run.
Has this made a difference to the computer stability?

lowra muser

lowra muser

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
Hi iammykyl,

OK, Thank you for the information, good. We will not be running Revo yet.
That CD should run, lets try something else. - Jfyi, the CD will boot from within windows just not from start-up of PC, pre-OS... To be fair that is what I interpretted 'boot-from-disk' to mean. Please let me know if I got this wrong, as may as well learn as I go along ;)

You must do this using the IE browser, if you are prompted to allow Active x, click, Allow. - Done

Go to, > http://www.gigabyte....oad-center.html Download to the Geek folder, install, follow the prompts to run. - I have attached screenshot. 'Click to install all drivers' had no effect and I am now DL'ing the one file that showed up (the realtek audio driver) to 'geek' folder.

Has this made a difference to the computer stability? Obviously, not yet :)

edit: tried to install downloaded audio driver... but no joy, can not remember the error message, but would not install at the very last hurdle...

Attached Thumbnails

• giga DL.JPG

Edited by lowra muser, 20 November 2013 - 02:38 PM.

lowra muser

lowra muser

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
Hiya Guys...

Just a polite bump (not to be done regularly!) as my situ regarding me needing a PC is getting desperate (lol Posted Image) but seriously, need to do everything I can to get it on-line asap as have lots of work piling up :)

Just as a random. I have a little money at my disposal (not lots ie. £50) should a new motherboard be required or a HDD, though can't do both at the mo... anyhow, getting ahead unnecessarily.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Apologias, been a bit busy.
Boot from CD is, start or restart the computer with a disc in the optical Drive. AS the POST starts, you need to look for the little prompt on the screen, "press any key to boot from CD" or on some computers at boot, "press F12 for one time boot" or before the procedure, enter the BIOS and make the optical drive the first disk to boot from.
If there was only the one driver missing, that is good.
Perhaps the driver update failed because the same driver was listed twice.
Go to Device Manager. Click on the + sign next to Sound Video and Game controller. Look for the Realtek Audio, Right click and select uninstall, Click OK.
Close all open windows and restart the Computer. Windows will pop up a found new hardware, let it run automatic.

Is the computer still crashing? when?
Can you start in safe mode? does it still crash?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
In addition to what Michael has suggested and only if it is necessary;

Have the latest drivers for the device saved on your desktop.
Create a new restore point.
Go into Device Manager.
Right click on the problem audio device.
Uninstall both the audio device and it`s drivers.
Restart the computer and allow the device to be detected by the Hardware Wizard and then install the drivers for the device that you saved earlier - please ensure that Windows does not install it`s own generic drivers for the device.

lowra muser

lowra muser

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
Hi Chaps...

We have problems installing the drivers from automatic after OS has loaded...

• 1st driver was Nvidia HDMI Audio - this would not install (edit: attached jpg)
  • Plus the Realtek audio device keeps reappearing after delete from Philpowers post "Uninstall both the audio device and it`s drivers." - I simply right clicked and uninstalled - seemed like the only option...
  • Then the next driver wouold not install - have added screen shots
Thanks for now :)

PS. Thank you Michael for the boot-up calrification and Phil for the extra info.

Craig

Attached Thumbnails

• audio device re-appears.JPG
  • no_install.JPG
  • hdmi audion driver.JPG

Edited by lowra muser, 23 November 2013 - 03:30 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
Hello folks

Craig, looking back over your topic I noticed in your reply #86

First of all I restored 'optimized default settings'

This is not the setting that I was suggesting, was there not an option such as "restore default settings" or "restore most stable settings"

The optimized settings are a form of overclocking and so if you do not have the appropriate hardware that can cope with the extra demands placed on it the machine becomes unstable, please note that this may have nothing whatsoever to do with the present issue but it is worthy of mentioning.

The additional hardware that I mention above may include a faster CPU, more and faster Ram and an add on video card that does not rely on system Ram for support.

Have you tried manually installing the drivers.

Try the Nvidea auto-detect tool

Is there an option to only disable the Realtek device and uninstall it`s drivers.

Please run DriverView and copy/paste the results into your next reply, details Here

You are welcome BTW :thumbsup:

lowra muser

lowra muser

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Hello folks

Craig, looking back over your topic I noticed in your reply #86

First of all I restored 'optimized default settings'

This is not the setting that I was suggesting, was there not an option such as "restore default settings" or "restore most stable settings" - Done my BIOS option is 'Load Fail-Safe Defaults'... Jfyi the PC then still says SATA running in IDE (I won't ask again [for a while ha ha - dog with a bone] re this if you don't mention it) PC is currently in IDE mode... Once OS loaded, first load of GChrome... it folded.

The optimized settings are a form of overclocking and so if you do not have the appropriate hardware that can cope with the extra demands placed on it the machine becomes unstable, please note that this may have nothing whatsoever to do with the present issue but it is worthy of mentioning. - Thanks

The additional hardware that I mention above may include a faster CPU, more and faster Ram and an add on video card that does not rely on system Ram for support. - Thanks

Have you tried manually installing the drivers. - Yes... Michael suggested saving drivers to File on desktop. Though only one driver would DL but would not install - it failed at the last hurdle... Guys can I ask a question though: I deleted the drivers before now as suggested before - jfyi :), they do not show up in control panel - could it be that the drivers are in the registry, but not actually present on the PC and thus this is why they are being recognised by the scans ie nvidia etc...? Just a guess/thought?
Try the Nvidea auto-detect tool - Sorry guys atm the pc just folds on use of internet! Very frusatreing I will get back asap. I ran one scan earlier but said the driver was present at least on the scan I ran - sorry can't be more descriptive

Is there an option to only disable the Realtek device and uninstall it`s drivers. Yes - I have attached screenshots, current state of play is that of the two drivers (1+duplicate) I have disabled and uninstalled the driver of one, the one outstanding would not uninstall as it said may be needed on boot-up, see screenshot please

Please run DriverView and copy/paste the results into your next reply, details Here - sorry again. PC too unstable will try tomorrow - If I was paying myself by the hour on this PC, I could buy a brand new higgs-boson-core-processor bulldozer+ PC by now!!! #ifyoudontlaughyoullcry :D
You are welcome BTW :thumbsup:

Cheers for now guys. Signing off Posted Image

edit: removed quizical multiple question mark emoticon from top of page that I hadn't intended to be there!

Attached Thumbnails

• disable and uninstall driver attempt.JPG
  • disable SUCCESS!!.JPG
  • uninstall unwanted duplicate driver FAIL.JPG
  • current state of play re audio drivers.JPG

Edited by lowra muser, 24 November 2013 - 03:23 PM.

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Gday.
for the moment, ignore the instructions for driver updating. lets see if we can boot and stay on.
first part.
Start the computer. after the post process starts but before windows starts to load, press and hold down F8.
On the screen that opens, use the arrow keys to highlight Last Known Good, > press enter.
You computer will reboot into windows.
If OK, do not do the second part, just report the result. If it fails, post a report first and the do the second part.

Second part.
Start the computer, Press F8 to get to safe mode.
Highlight, Safe Mode with Networking, press enter. the computer will restart.
Please post the result.

lowra muser

lowra muser

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
Hiya Michael,

Sorry for such a delay in responding. Have had some problems that needed to be addressed (all sorted now or on-the-way to being). I just tried to restore to last known good... though, it failed just a couple of minutes after load of OS... just as I had loaded Google Chrome

Now, just booted up into Safe mode with Networking: Report is that chrome keeps crashing... PC hasn't folded yet. - making this post from laptop

edit: PC just folded in safe mode with networking
edit2: there are 2 windows updates waiting to be updated on PC

Edited by lowra muser, 03 December 2013 - 03:42 PM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Gday.
Please ignore the windws update.
With a clean install and \with min drivers used safe mode, is pointing to a hardware issue, possible RAM or PSU.
Start the computer, > enter Safe Mode, > tab down to Last Known Good, > Press enter.
Result Please.

lowra muser

lowra muser

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Gday.
Please ignore the windws update.
With a clean install and \with min drivers used safe mode, is pointing to a hardware issue, possible RAM or PSU.
Start the computer, > enter Safe Mode, > tab down to Last Known Good, > Press enter.
Result Please.

Hi Michael!

Okay, I went into 'Safe Mode' that on my PC says advanced mode (ie. F8 screen) I'm presuming this is the same screen? I have selected Last Known Good and will report back on how it performs...

Cheers for now. Will report back shortly... hopefully a little longer of a 'shortly' if you get my meaning Posted Image

Update: Well it is a quicker report than I had hoped! PC was okay for a few minuted whilst I wasn't touching it. Though the second I plugged in my wireless usb adapter the PC folded...

<div><br></div><div>Cheers for now, Craig</div>

Edited by lowra muser, 06 December 2013 - 12:50 PM.

lowra muser

lowra muser

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
Well it is a quicker report than I had hoped! PC was okay for a few minuted whilst I wasn't touching it. Though the second I plugged in my wireless usb adapter the PC folded...

Cheers for now, Craig