Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC keeps cutting out and rebooting randomly

• Please log in to reply

lowra muser

lowra muser

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
Well it is a quicker report than I had hoped! PC was okay for a few minuted whilst I wasn't touching it. Though the second I plugged in my wireless usb adapter the PC folded...

Cheers for now, Craig

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Gday.
I did not know you were using a USB dongle to connect to the internet. Can you connect using an Ethernet cable?

Please try the following. Without the USB wireless Dongle connected.
Start he computer in safe mode with networking. If it stays on.
Try using a few applications like, Task Manager. Windows Explorer, Help and support. If the computer stays on.
Plug in the USB dongle, if the computer crashes, remove the Dongle, restart in Safe mode, plug the Dongle into a USB port on the back of the case.

lowra muser

lowra muser

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Gday.
I did not know you were using a USB dongle to connect to the internet. Can you connect using an Ethernet cable?

I am using a wireless adapter - it is to connect to the wireless router downstairs. I could connect using ethernet... would have to take the PC downstairs...

Please try the following. Without the USB wireless Dongle connected.
Start he computer in safe mode with networking. If it stays on.
Try using a few applications like, Task Manager. Windows Explorer, Help and support. If the computer stays on. - AOK up to this point!

Plug in the USB dongle, if the computer crashes, remove the Dongle, restart in Safe mode, plug the Dongle into a USB port on the back of the case.

Plugged the USB adapter into back but jfyi that is where it goes anyway. Seems AOK at the mo... looking at my emails in gmail. No crash in safe mode with networking as of yet

edit: had a google chrome crash, which historically has been a precursor to a full crash (the big momma jomma fold of my PC - just having a laugh to save me throwing all my equipment out of the window :D) - BUT, so far still holding...

edit 2: PC crashed after 10minutes of checking mail, facebook etc...

Have rebooted into Safe Mode now...

Edited by lowra muser, 07 December 2013 - 07:06 AM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
OK.
Let's see if removing Chrome will stop the crashing.
Go to Control Panel, > Add Remove Programs, Click on Chrome, > Remove.
Restart the computer.
for a test. Open Task Manager, then Help and Support, then Search, Look for help help, then search.
If the computer does not crash, launch IE, do some browsing.

lowra muser

lowra muser

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
Removed Chrome and restarted in Normal mode. Then tried to use IE instead... IE crashed similarly (see attached jpg's)... though the PC hasn't crashed... yet...

Attached Thumbnails

• gen host proc.JPG
  • IE close.JPG

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Ok.
Did you try using the computer for things I suggested before launching the browser?

lowra muser

lowra muser

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
Sorry, Yes tried and opened task manager, win explorer and help & support at the same time with no crash...

edit: removed text as confusing

Edited by lowra muser, 07 December 2013 - 08:50 AM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Ok.
When you turn on the computer, it is normal for a connection to the Internet be made, it may sit there for ages then a program looks for an update, the computer may then crash. So to test, Remove the USB Dongle. start computer normally, test using applications, do a defrag. Leave on for five hours, then install the USB dongle, Launch IE.

lowra muser

lowra muser

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
Thanks for that info Michael, that makes sense!

And, Will do & then will report back.

Cheers Posted Image

lowra muser

lowra muser

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
Had problem with defrag (see attached jpg)...

Popping out now. Unless you suggest otherwise, I will try the chkdsk when I come back a little later. Wasn't the command 'chkdsk /r' or something like that? I can check previous posts if need be for command line.

JUST about to post and the PC has shut-down/crashed... no usb wireless plugged in, though I did put my usb pendrive in to grab the screenshot for above mentioned/attached jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• defrag.JPG

Advertisements

lowra muser

lowra muser

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
Okay. Ran chkdsk earlier and then on boot-up defragmented the 'C' Drive. At the same time had Win Explorer, Help and Task Manager + MSPaint all open and left on for approx 5 hours.

Then

Put in Wireless USB Adapter and opened up IE. It crashed almost immediately, then tried YouTube on next load of IE, but Adobe Flash 11 was required so DL'ed that. Then went to watch video and PC crashed. I left it turned off for now...

Cheers for now. Craig

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Are your mouse and keyboard USB or PS/2?
Did you plug the Pen drive into the same rear socket as when you use the wireless Dongle?

lowra muser

lowra muser

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
Hi, I plugged the USB pen into the back AND the front but with regards to this time of tests I can not guarantee it went into the back. I don't think it went into same usb port as dongle either

Re: PS2/USB. I brought the PS2 adapters as Phil mentioned some time ago now. THough the PS2 for keyboard doesn't work for some reason. I looked on BIOS for settings but could only see USB settings for keyboard and mouse. So in answer to question they are USB but I do have adapters.

Hope that helps.

Cheers, CRaig

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Gday.
Trying to find out if the back USB ports are faulty or, if the Dongle is faulty.
Please carry out the procedure in the order given and answer each question.

Caution. You must not plug/unplug into the back PS/2 port with the computer switched on.
Make sure the wireless Dongle and Pen drive are not plugged in.
Use the PS/2 adaptor to connect the mouse to the computer.
1. Power on in normal mode to the desktop. Does the Mouse work? If yes.
2. Plug the wireless dongle into a front case USB port. Does the computer crash? If no.
3. Start IE browser. Does the computer crash?

lowra muser

lowra muser

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Gday.
Trying to find out if the back USB ports are faulty or, if the Dongle is faulty. - Okay, great
Please carry out the procedure in the order given and answer each question.

Caution. You must not plug/unplug into the back PS/2 port with the computer switched on.- Okay
Make sure the wireless Dongle and Pen drive are not plugged in.
Use the PS/2 adaptor to connect the mouse to the computer.
1. Power on in normal mode to the desktop. Does the Mouse work? If yes.- Yes
2. Plug the wireless dongle into a front case USB port. Does the computer crash? If no. - No
3. Start IE browser. Does the computer crash? - Yes, after a few minutes

Gday :)

Plugged the mouse into PS/2 and worked fine. I didn't even plug in keyboard. Plugged dongle into front left usb port (there is also a front right). Dongle worked (btw it is a wireless adapter usb that connects to a router downstairs) okay for a while and then IE crashed 2/3 times, then PC crashed.

Thought: If at any point you want me to try PC downstairs, I can plug into router using Ethernet cable ans see what's what.

Cheers for now Posted Image