Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

vpn connection problem

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have an open vpn portable program and whenever it connects to the internet it shows connected to unathorized network no internet access but then I'm able to browse restricted websites (im in China). The vpn provider advised me that I have a proxy. I don't think I have one because it's a new computer, but when I checked under the connections tab > lan settings > nothing is ticked but the port field has a number 80. I tried to remove the number 80 by checking the proxy settings and removing the number 80 and then untick the proxy settings box again then hit ok. But when I go back to lan settings the # 80 is still there. I tried to do this on both ie and google chrome. I'm not sure if this is the fix to my initial problem. Please help !!

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 17,273 posts
  • MVP
If you have a proxy that the PC knows about you should be able to see it and turn it off:

In IE, Tools, Internet Options, Connections, LAN Settings, then uncheck all boxes and OK. Close IE and restart IE.

In FireFox, (Tools or the Firefox button), Options, Advanced, Settings, check No Proxy then OK. Close Firefox and restart Firefox.

In Chrome, Wrench, Options, Under the Hood, Change Proxy Settings, uncheck all boxes, OK.

If the 80 you are talking about is where it says in IE Use a Proxy server and the box is not checked then there is no proxy on your PC. That doesn't mean your ISP could not be using a proxy or doing something else to filter the traffic.

It might be interesting to look at the difference in a trace to a site you can get to when you are on the VPN and not.

tracert -rn (URLofsite)

Do they both go to the same final IP?