Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Toshiba Windows 7 wont load past welcome screen.

• Please log in to reply

eWinchester66

eWinchester66

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Its been hours and still on the same thing "stage 4 out of 5 on (105553 of 109808 files processed)". I'm not sure how to check, its a toshiba satellite laptop.

There is a row of lights on the laptop and there is one that looks like the image in the middle of this picture - http://media.communi...930494868389101 - which i believe to be the hard drive one? if so, then yes it is flashing.

Edited by eWinchester66, 11 September 2013 - 12:59 PM.

Advertisements

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,975 posts

Its been hours and still on the same thing "stage 4 out of 5 on (105553 of 109808 files processed)". I'm not sure how to check, its a toshiba satellite laptop.

There is a row of lights on the laptop and there is one that looks like the image in the middle of this picture - http://media.communi...930494868389101 - which i believe to be the hard drive one? if so, then yes it is flashing.

That is strange because normally chkdsk will work better when running from the Recovery Environment.

Press CTRL+C to abort and try running chkdsk again like this:
chkdsk /F c:

Does it run OK?

eWinchester66

eWinchester66

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
I've still left it and it has finally changed after a few hours and is now on 80%, If it eventually finishes do i just restart the laptop and it should hopefully work fine or will there be more to do afterwards?

eWinchester66

eWinchester66

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
THANK YOU soo much! It works fine now! The first thing i was going to do was uninstall lots of programs however i hardly have any on it anyway so is there anything i can do to prevent it happening again? or anyway to find out the cause of the problem?

Edited by eWinchester66, 11 September 2013 - 04:28 PM.

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,975 posts

THANK YOU soo much! It works fine now! The first thing i was going to do was uninstall lots of programs however i hardly have any on it anyway so is there anything i can do to prevent it happening again? or anyway to find out the cause of the problem?

Hi,

Can you describe what you did?

Canceled the chkdsk and run the other one with /F?

eWinchester66

eWinchester66

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Yeah, i didn't cancel it, after i first typed in "chkdsk /r /x C:", I left it for about 10 hours and eventually it finished. I then restarted it and worked fine. Thank You!

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,975 posts

Yeah, i didn't cancel it, after i first typed in "chkdsk /r /x C:", I left it for about 10 hours and eventually it finished. I then restarted it and worked fine. Thank You!

Ok. Can you execute the following to see if it can find the chkdsk result?

• download ListChkdskResult
  • execute the file and accept all the windows prompts to authorize the program to run
  • Notepad will open with a report showing the chkdsk result
  • copy & paste the log to your reply

The long time scanning can be an indication of an Hard Disk problem...