Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Dell Inspiron 1521 won't power on

• Please log in to reply

LiLz1111

LiLz1111

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have an older Dell Inspiron 1521. It's been a great computer until recently, when it started to run a bit hot and would occasionally shut down. While checking email today, it shut down and now the power button seems not to work. I've tried pressing it many times, but the power light doesn't come on.

There's a shortcut button on the keyboard that takes me to the Dell Media Direct program. When I push it, the computer turns on, the screen comes up and everything runs fine. Unfortunately, the computer powers off when I exit the program.

I'm guessing that the problem is strictly with the power button. Am I correct? If so, can you recommend a fix?

I've tried disconnecting the power cord and battery then holding the power button down for 45 seconds, which did nothing. I haven't found another suggestion by googling the issue, so I'm hoping you might have an idea.

Yes, the computer's older, but it's been great and I'd like to hang onto it for a while if at all possible.

Thank you!

Edited by LiLz1111, 09 September 2013 - 07:07 PM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
:welcome: LiLz1111

Overheating which can be caused by a build up of dust may be causing this, dust can also cause a static charge to build up within the hardware including the Ram, with this in mind I suggest that you use canned compressed air and blow out the inside of the case the best that you can and do so after removing the Ram so that the memory slots are also clear of dust.

You can find the Ram removal and replacement procedure Here and a cleaning guide Here it is a HP notebook but the principal is the same.

NB: When the AC adapter, battery and Ram are removed for the cleaning you should again hold down the power on button to dispel any possible residual charge that can be held in the circuits.