Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

NEED HELP REFORMATTING HARD DRIVE FOR XP

• Please log in to reply

BeachBumBum

BeachBumBum

• PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
I am trying to reformat my aunt's computer and reinstall XP. Her computer was totally eat up with viruses, backdoors, keyloggers, etc. etc. I guess I didn't do it right, because I just used the disk that came with the computer, and apparently just reinstalled XP. I want to totally wipe out the hard drive and start all over with XP. But after I reinstalled XP, now I can't get online to find drivers. The ethernet card is not being recognized. I didn't know I had to copy the names of all the stuff in the computer before I did this, so am I screwed or what? I don't know the name of the ethernet card/adapter or whatever you call it, and I went into the System Informtaion and there was no name for it. My brother says I need am MSDOS boot disk to format the hard drive so as to wipe out everything. Is that right, and if so, how do I get that and use it? I guess what I'm asking is the complete steps to reformatting the hard drive and reinstalling XP and getting the ethernet card to be recognized so I can get online.

There is one other problem. When I went into BIOS to try and get the computer set to boot from the CD drive, it says different Ports. But my brother figured out which one was the CD drive and put it first. Well, it would not boot from the drive, it just skipped it and went right back to the desktop when rebooting. So I had to reinstall from the disk by going into the CD itself instead of letting the computer boot from the CD drive. It still will not boot from the CD drive. I don't know what's wrong there. But if I can't get it to boot from that drive, is there anyway around it to boot from an MSDOS Boot Disk? Also, can I create an MS-DOS boot disk from my computer with Win7 OS for her computer with XP?

I have a memory problem.....and it's not in the computer (if you catch my drift). I have reformatted hard drives a very long time ago, but I can't even remember the first step now. I'm desperate to get her computer back up and running, because this is the only contact with the outside world for her. She will go back into deep depression without it. I would appreciate so very much if someone could guide me through this.

Thanks and God bless!

Edited by BeachBumBum, 10 September 2013 - 12:44 AM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
:welcome: BeachBumBum

Some malware is so deep rooted that not even formatting the HDD will remove it and so you may need to seek the assistance of the experts over on the malware forums, to begin with please refer to the tutorial provided courtesy of admin which can be found Here

If the issue is the same after you have been given the all clear by the malware staff please return to this topic and we will look at other possible causes of the issue/s.

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,976 posts
Hi BeachBumBum,

I agree with Phill but most likely the CD you use is a plain install CD and you need to add the correct drivers for the machine.

Either way it will be more easy to check for malware if you can have access to the Internet, can you follow this steps so I can direct you to the correct network driver?

• Open Device Manager (Start > Run > devmgmt.msc)
  • right click the Ethernet controller probably with an yellow color
  • click Properties > Tab Details > On the Property box select Device Instance Id
  • Copy & Paste the values on the box to your Reply

BeachBumBum

BeachBumBum

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
Thank you both, but I live a little ways from her, and to go back and forth from my house to hers to use both computers would be impossible for me. But I can try to get that last information and put it on a disk, then paste it here. But that will take awhile to get. I was hoping to get someone to walk me through making an MS-DOS boot disk, because I apparently did not wipe the drive like I wanted to. Maybe after I wipe the drive and reinstall WinXP, I might be able to get online. It's worth a shot. I could get online before I used the XP boot disk.

phillpower2, the process you directed me to seems way over my head. I tried to understand what to do, but just can't get it. I can't find the right file to download and don't know what to do with it. Sorry, but I need simpler instructions. My mind is not as sharp as it used to be. I'm disabled now, and have a hard time understanding certain things, but I will try as best I can.

SleepyDude, I will see what I can do probably Thurs. when I go to her house to see if I can go through the steps you gave me. I will try and copy the results to a thumb drive and paste it back on here. Will that help you to find out why I can't get online?

I appreciate both you guys' help. :thumbsup:

Edited by BeachBumBum, 10 September 2013 - 04:46 PM.

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,976 posts

Thank you both, but I live a little ways from her, and to go back and forth from my house to hers to use both computers would be impossible for me. But I can try to get that last information and put it on a disk, then paste it here. But that will take awhile to get. I was hoping to get someone to walk me through making an MS-DOS boot disk, because I apparently did not wipe the drive like I wanted to. Maybe after I wipe the drive and reinstall WinXP, I might be able to get online. It's worth a shot. I could get online before I used the XP boot disk.

Without seen the XP disk contents it's difficult to know if you have a normal installation disk or an custom OEM version including drivers, I suspect it's the first and you need to download the specific drivers for the machine from the Manufacture web site or have a drivers CD provided with the machine in some cases.

SleepyDude, I will see what I can do probably Thurs. when I go to her house to see if I can go through the steps you gave me. I will try and copy the results to a thumb drive and paste it back on here. Will that help you to find out why I can't get online?

In that case I would like you to generate also another log for me on the machine...

Download MiniToolBox and save the file to the flash drive.
Insert the flash drive on the problematic computer, close the browser and run MiniToolBox, check the following options:

• Flush DNS
  • Report IE Proxy Settings
  • Reset IE Proxy Settings
  • Report FF Proxy Settings
  • Reset FF Proxy Settings
  • List content of Hosts
  • List IP configuration
  • List Winsock Entries
  • List last 10 Event Viewer log
  • List Installed Programs
  • List Devices (Only Problems)
Click on Go.

Save the log to the flash drive and Post it in your next reply.

BeachBumBum

BeachBumBum

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
Okay, I will do those 2 things as soon as I can get to her computer. Thanks! :thumbsup:

Edited by BeachBumBum, 11 September 2013 - 01:35 PM.

BeachBumBum

BeachBumBum

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
:thumbsup:

Edited by BeachBumBum, 11 September 2013 - 01:43 PM.

BeachBumBum

BeachBumBum

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
Here is the driver that was listed under Device Manager: PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_10BD&SUBSYS_02111028&REV_02\3&172E68DD&0&CB

Here is the report from the MiniToolBox:

MiniToolBox by Farbar Version: 13-07-2013
Ran by Angie (administrator) on 12-09-2013 at 18:07:39
Running from "I:\"
Microsoft Windows XP Professional Service Pack 3 (X86)
Boot Mode: Normal

========================= Flush DNS: ===================================

Windows IP Configuration

========================= IE Proxy Settings: ==============================

Proxy is not enabled.
No Proxy Server is set.

"Reset IE Proxy Settings": IE Proxy Settings were reset.
========================= Hosts content: =================================

127.0.0.1 localhost

========================= IP Configuration: ================================

# ----------------------------------
# Interface IP Configuration
# ----------------------------------
pushd interface ip

popd
# End of interface IP configuration

Windows IP Configuration

Server: UnKnown
Address: 127.0.0.1

Ping request could not find host google.com. Please check the name and try again.

Server: UnKnown
Address: 127.0.0.1

Ping request could not find host yahoo.com. Please check the name and try again.

Pinging 127.0.0.1 with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 127.0.0.1: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=128

Reply from 127.0.0.1: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=128

Ping statistics for 127.0.0.1:

Packets: Sent = 2, Received = 2, Lost = 0 (0% loss),

Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:

Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 0ms, Average = 0ms

===========================================================================
Interface List
0x1 ........................... MS TCP Loopback interface
Active Routes:
Network Destination Netmask Gateway Interface Metric
127.0.0.0 255.0.0.0 127.0.0.1 127.0.0.1 1
Persistent Routes:
None
========================= Winsock entries =====================================

Catalog5 01 C:\WINDOWS\system32\mswsock.dll [245248] (Microsoft Corporation)
Catalog5 02 C:\WINDOWS\system32\winrnr.dll [16896] (Microsoft Corporation)
Catalog5 03 C:\WINDOWS\system32\mswsock.dll [245248] (Microsoft Corporation)
Catalog9 01 C:\WINDOWS\system32\mswsock.dll [245248] (Microsoft Corporation)
Catalog9 02 C:\WINDOWS\system32\mswsock.dll [245248] (Microsoft Corporation)
Catalog9 03 C:\WINDOWS\system32\mswsock.dll [245248] (Microsoft Corporation)
Catalog9 04 C:\WINDOWS\system32\rsvpsp.dll [92672] (Microsoft Corporation)
Catalog9 05 C:\WINDOWS\system32\rsvpsp.dll [92672] (Microsoft Corporation)
Catalog9 06 C:\WINDOWS\system32\mswsock.dll [245248] (Microsoft Corporation)
Catalog9 07 C:\WINDOWS\system32\mswsock.dll [245248] (Microsoft Corporation)
Catalog9 08 C:\WINDOWS\system32\mswsock.dll [245248] (Microsoft Corporation)
Catalog9 09 C:\WINDOWS\system32\mswsock.dll [245248] (Microsoft Corporation)

========================= Event log errors: ===============================

Application errors:
==================

System errors:
=============

Microsoft Office Sessions:
=========================

=========================== Installed Programs ============================

WebFldrs XP (Version: 9.50.7523)
Windows Support Tools (Version: 5.1.2600.5512)

========================= Devices: ================================

Name: Video Controller (VGA Compatible)
Description: Video Controller (VGA Compatible)
Class Guid: {4D36E97E-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
Manufacturer:
Service:
Problem: : The drivers for this device are not installed. (Code 28)
Resolution: To install the drivers for this device, click "Update Driver", which starts the Hardware Update wizard.

Name: Video Controller
Description: Video Controller
Manufacturer:
Service:
Resolution: To install the drivers for this device, click "Update Driver", which starts the Hardware Update wizard.

Name: PCI Simple Communications Controller
Description: PCI Simple Communications Controller
Class Guid:
Manufacturer:
Service:

Name: PCI Serial Port
Description: PCI Serial Port
Manufacturer:
Service:

Name: Ethernet Controller
Description: Ethernet Controller
Class Guid:
Manufacturer:
Service:

Name: Audio Device on High Definition Audio Bus
Description: Audio Device on High Definition Audio Bus
Manufacturer:
Service:

Name: SM Bus Controller
Description: SM Bus Controller
Manufacturer:
Service:

**** End of log ****

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,976 posts
Hi,

For the Network card driver go to the Intel page here and download PRO2K3XP_32.exe.

The log show that you need to install allot of other drivers for ChipSet, Audio, Graphic card, with internet access make sure you visit the Manufacturer home page to download the drivers starting from the ChipSet. In case you need help locating the correct site post the Brand and Model of the computer.

BeachBumBum

BeachBumBum

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
Thank you so much. I assume I am downloading the .exe file for 32bit, right? I didn't think it was 64bit, but not sure. And it's a Dell, but don't know the Model #.

Edited by BeachBumBum, 13 September 2013 - 01:25 PM.

Advertisements

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,976 posts

Thank you so much. I assume I am downloading the .exe file for 32bit, right? I didn't think it was 64bit, but not sure. And it's a Dell, but don't know the Model #.

Yes, For XP it's usually 32-bit's the 64-bit version of XP it's very rare.

Dell makes it easy to find the correct drivers, access this page and type the Service Tag usually on the bottom of the machine, it will give you all the correct drivers for the machine.

BeachBumBum

BeachBumBum

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
I went back to where I was directed to in the first place, and I can't understand how to do the AVG rescue CD using the ISO file. Before I do all these checks and try to get online and all the other stuff, I still would like to know how to create an MSDOS boot disk to start all over first. I have searched online and can't find an answer. Is there anyway to create one, and if so, how? I would like to reformat the HD and then reinstall XP, THEN do the other steps that I was directed to do. I understand that there may be deep-rooted viruses on the infected computer, and that it still may be infected after I reformat, but I still want to try that option first. Could someone please help me out here? I am not an expert by any means, but I have done this in the past with much luck. Unfortunately, my memory is fading, and I cannot remember the steps to create the "MSDOS boot disk". :upset:

My aunt is depending on me to fix her computer, because they have no money to take it anywhere. I want to do ALL that I can to try and fix it with you guys' help. ;) ;)

Edited by BeachBumBum, 14 September 2013 - 05:21 PM.

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,976 posts

[size="5"][size="5"][font="Comic Sans MS"][font="Comic Sans MS"]I went back to where I was directed to in the first place, and I can't understand how to do the AVG rescue CD using the ISO file. Before I do all these checks and try to get online and all the other stuff, I still would like to know how to create an MSDOS boot disk to start all over first. I have searched online and can't find an answer. Is there anyway to create one, and if so, how? I would like to reformat the HD and then reinstall XP, THEN do the other steps that I was directed to do. I understand that there may be deep-rooted viruses on the infected computer, and that it still may be infected after I reformat, but I still want to try that option first. Could someone please help me out here? I am not an expert by any means, but I have done this in the past with much luck. Unfortunately, my memory is fading, and I cannot remember the steps to create the "MSDOS boot disk". :upset:

Hi,

You don't need an MSDOS boot disk to delete everything and start over again, the way to do it is to boot from the Windows XP CD, after some initial steps you will be presented with options to delete the partitions, you can delete all of them, create a new one(s) and format the partition next you select the partition where you want to install XP.
Check the step by step tutorial How To Clean Install Windows XP (the partition part I have described is step 7)

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts

There is one other problem. When I went into BIOS to try and get the computer set to boot from the CD drive, it says different Ports. But my brother figured out which one was the CD drive and put it first. Well, it would not boot from the drive, it just skipped it and went right back to the desktop when rebooting.

Even if you create a MSDOS boot disk and format it that way, you still need to boot it from the CD.
If you do have the bios set correctly to boot from CD then you will get a "to boot from cd press enter" or something similar.
Does the cd drive light come on when you hit enter?
Is there any activity with the drive as if it is trying to read from it?

What type of XP cd is it?
Is it an original? or a copy from some where?

There is most likely a recovery partition on the computer. Have you tried that?
To get to Dell recovery it is Ctrl + F11 or F8 to Access Dell computers Dell System Restore (DSR) partition on many different models. At bootup hold the control key and continue to tap the F11 key or F8 key. This should put you in to the recovery mode and give you choices to follow.

You will lose all data and programs on the computer. But, if it works, you will be back to factory settings. I just did it on my Brothers 8 yr old unit. You will then have to do all updates.
I found the easiest way to do the updates is to download SP2 and install it and then SP3 and install.

BeachBumBum

BeachBumBum

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
Thanks for the info. But I went ahead and used the XP cd that came with the computer, but I forgot to do Windows update before I downloaded avast!, SUPERAntispyware, SpywareBlaster, and MBAM (all free versions). Then I ran scans. It found many threats. Would that be because I didn't run WinUpdate first? Is it okay to run it now and then update the rest of the drivers? Or should I start all over? I don't want to screw this up, because they are counting on me, so if I have to do it all over to get it right, then that's what I'll do.

I appreciate all your patience with me. I am learning a lot from you guys! :thumbsup: