Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problem Viewing .PDF Covers in Windows Explorer

• Please log in to reply

moondog830

moondog830

• PipPipPip
  • 804 posts
I have a laptop that I originally had the same problem on ... but I tried to run the link that another member posted for me to fix this 64bit fix but that doesn't seem to help. I STILL can't view the .PDF covers ... anyone have any other ideas to help me out here. I have tons of books for my research and viewing the pictures of the covers makes it easier to quickly identify the needed book/books.

Thanks in Advance AGAIN

dog

Edited by moondog830, 11 September 2013 - 08:40 AM.

Advertisements

moondog830

moondog830

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 804 posts

I have a laptop that I originally had the same problem on ... but I tried to run the link that another member posted for me to fix this 64bit fix but that doesn't seem to help. I STILL can't view the .PDF covers ... anyone have any other ideas to help me out here. I have tons of books for my research and viewing the pictures of the covers makes it easier to quickly identify the needed book/books.

Thanks in Advance AGAIN

dog

I again tried the original fix for this, but still no luck. However, I did apparently fix my problem by doing the following.

Start

Control Panel

Default Programs

Associate a file type or protocol with a program

Search for .pdf and changed the association to Acrobat and now I can see the covers of all my .pdf's ...

The only drawback (at least on my pc) is that the files do not open when I double-click them ... I have to right click on them and then select Reader to open them and all is well.

At this point, if no one has a better fix to this, I consider it already closed. Hopefully, this helps some of you out.

dog

susannamoore

susannamoore

• Pip
  • 3 posts

"I have a laptop that I originally had the same problem on ... but I tried to run the link that another member posted for me to fix this 64bit fix but that doesn't seem to help. I STILL can't view the .PDF covers ... anyone have any other ideas to help me out here. I have tons of books for my research and viewing the pictures of the covers makes it easier to quickly identify the needed book/books."

Hi, moondog830

Have you solved PDF viewing problem? Actually, I've got the same problem as yours. So wonder if your problem have been solved or not.

moondog830

moondog830

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 804 posts

Hi, 

The only way that I fixed this issue was as described by me above ... It's the only fix I've had that works. If you need more clarification, feel free to ask.

dog

susannamoore

susannamoore

• Pip
  • 3 posts

I see. Thanks for your quick reply.

I would like to check that.

moondog830

moondog830

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 804 posts

Hi Susanna, 

I posted 'how' to do it above as well, let me know if that works for you. I don't THINK it would only work for my computer, but stranger things have happened :D

b0bl335wa663r

b0bl335wa663r

• PipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Sumatra PDF has a good performance regarding displaying pdf covers. You can have a portable version if you don't want an installation. And I would like to recommend you a good manager for those huge quantities of pdf's. Try Calibre (even this has a portable version) and you can add covers to books which actually don't have one. You can sort them according to the authores, date of addition, alphabetically etc.