Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

unable to delete a vlc file on desktop and cannot empty recyclebin

• Please log in to reply

thebiologist

thebiologist

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
hi i am using windows vista. I am unable to delete a vlc file (0.99gb) which is on desktop and cannot empty recycle bin

Advertisements

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
Did you try using a third party program to clean your computer (emptying your recycle bin) like CCleaner maybe it will help to clean your bin. If you use CCleaner make sure you do not use the Registry cleaner option as you never know what surprises you will find after using a cleaner for the registry.

thebiologist

thebiologist

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Thanks for the reply. no. I tried to delete it by myself using right click-delete.

p.s: I am not an expert in handling the computer. I just know the basics how to use it.

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
Have you tried starting Windows in Safe Mode and emptying the Recycle Bin in that mode? Startup your computer and immediately start tapping the F8 key until the Windows Startup Menu displays, select Safe mode.

thebiologist

thebiologist

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
the system is starting normally even though am pressing the f8 button

thebiologist

thebiologist

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
successfully I have started in safe mode, but still unable to delete that file

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
VLC files are usually for the VLC media player, if you are certain that it is just a media file you can try to delete it with the program "Unlocker" http://www.filehippo..._unlocker/tech/

Just be sure it is just a media file and not a system file because VLC sometimes associates files that are not for it to open as a vlc file, so your file might be an important system file.

To be sure just double click on the file to see if it opens or not with VLC media player, if not than it is not really a vlc file but it is just being associated (wrongly) to VLC.

thebiologist

thebiologist

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Yhank you very much. That file was deleted successfully. thank you once again

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
Glad to hear you were able to solve your issue.