Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

no webpage on wireless connection

• Please log in to reply

Snortnbuck

Snortnbuck

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi, I hope you can help me. I have Windows XP and just got Hughes net and bought a Netgear wireless router. The computer grabs the signal and say excellent signal strength but will not allow any webpage to load, says I'm not connected ????
And this is true also of the hook up with the cable attached.
This computer worked on other high speed and wireless connections in the past.
[The Hughes net installer worked for hours and finally gave up]
This computer I am on now is also XP and works fine hooked to cable but does the same "not connected" when in the wireless state.
Help please, I don't mind being hooked up by cable just want to be able to surf!!
Thanks.
Oh does it matter where I have these computers? I live in mobile home, don't get any cell reception but should that matter with my Hughes net connection?

Advertisements

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
One question, is it only web pages that do not open (your browser) have you tried any other program that connects to the internet that does not use your browser to see if you can connect.

The reason i am asking is that it might be that your browser was put in the WORK OFFLINE option and now when you open your browser it does not connect due to that simple option, so check under File in your browser to see if the option WORKING OFFLINE is ticked or not.

Edited by Alzeimer, 12 September 2013 - 09:10 AM.

Snortnbuck

Snortnbuck

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Hey! Thanks for the answer. No working offline is not checked.
What other program would I have that I can open with the browser that connects to internet????
It shows I am connected but refuses any webpage, acting like I am not connected, it even does this when I connected with the cable.???
First I thought it was the wireless but it is not that I guess, desk top computer does OK and the laptop is the one that won't work.
Thanks!!