Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Built my new computer 1 week ago and it won't turn on today :(

• Please log in to reply

IMZen

IMZen

• Pip
  • 4 posts
First off sorry if this is the wrong section, I am not in the best mood and just made this account to see if you guys can help me. So I am a Starcraft 2 gamer and have always had a [bleep] setup for the last couple years until I finally got the money to upgrade. I was going to buy a new custom prebuilt PC from a site like iBuypower, but eventually I was convinced I should build my own. Anyways I bought these parts from the advice of a very knowledgeable source who assured me I would be able to play and or stream SC2 with this setup no problem. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1uAXS << My exact build minus the GPU since I decided to stick with my old Geforce 550ti since I don't play on high graphic settings. So I even got my friend who is experienced in building computers to build mines for me since I didn't want to screw anything up, and he did but from the start I noticed web browsing was a lot slower then I'm used, these lag problems are most likely completely unrelated but just thought I would throw that in there. Also I think I had some type of virus even though the PC was only a week old since my google chrome would randomly mute itself and would take a few tries to unmute, and if I held the mouse on the unmute button (instead of just clicking I would click and hold) I could hear ads playing even though I wasn't watching any ads and they would just go on for as long as I would hold on the unmute button. So on to the real problem now that you know all the B.S I have gone through this week... Lol

So I woke up this morning and could hear my fan was on, so I tried hitting the power button to turn on the computer and nothing happened. The fan in the power supply is still running even though I never turned the computer on, and even if I tried it wouldn't turn on anyways. So I unplugged the pc and ofcourse the fan shut off, but as soon as I plug it back in the fan turns back on. Its really strange and I have tried switching the power supply on and off, replugging it, doing all those wait ten minutes hold on power button for ten seconds blah blah, and nothing has worked. I even removed the battery from the motherboard and still nothing has changed. If the power is in the fan is on. So please help me guys. I am a broke college student that took a long time saving for this build and I only enjoyed it for a week before my party was pooped all over. Also sorry about the length wanted to make sure anyone who decides to help me knows exactly whats going on.

Advertisements

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
Sounds like it may be a bad power supply. Do you have access to another you could borrow and try?

IMZen

IMZen

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Sounds like it may be a bad power supply. Do you have access to another you could borrow and try?

I might be able to get my hands on a power supply tonight. If it is not the power supply, could it be a defective motherboard? Thanks

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
I suppose anything's possible. Hopefully it's something simple though, like a flaky PSU.

IMZen

IMZen

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

I suppose anything's possible. Hopefully it's something simple though, like a flaky PSU.

Ok so I guess my brandnew 70$ psu was a piece of crap... I replaced it with my old one and the computer works now. Could a defective PSU be the cause of my brand new setup being slower then expected? Web browsing was doable but felt like I was on an old laptop with crappy internet as apposed to a brand new desktop with good internet. When I get home tonight I'll know for sure but just thought I would ask.

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

Could a defective PSU be the cause of my brand new setup being slower then expected?

That would be unusual but again, I suppose anything's possible.

IMZen

IMZen

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Could a defective PSU be the cause of my brand new setup being slower then expected?

That would be unusual but again, I suppose anything's possible.

Ok so I got a hold of an ATX 600w PSU but I can't find a 6pin connector to go into my graphics card... Is there some other way to connect it?? I'm so lost...

Edited by IMZen, 13 September 2013 - 04:07 PM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Gday.
While SpywareDr Is offfline, I will butt in.

What PSU brand/model PSU are you trying to use?

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
StarTech Model SATPCIEXADAP 6" 6in SATA Power to 6 Pin PCI Express Video Card Power Cable Adapter - $8.99