Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

USB 3.0 Ports don't work

• Please log in to reply

JoeBenyon

JoeBenyon

• PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
I have had my PC around 7 months now and I have never tried to use my USB 3 ports as I was fine with my USB 2.0 ports. But now, I have realized my USB 3.0 ports don't seem to work. I checked in BIOS in the USB settings and there was nothing about USB 3 just USB 2. I tried downloading the latest USB 3 drivers from the ASUS website and it seems they are already installed. I don't know what the problem is.

My motherboard - ASUS® M5A78L-M/USB3

Advertisements

JoeBenyon

JoeBenyon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
bump

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,710 posts
Hello JoeBenyon

Have you checked the USB port details in the Device Manager - are there any yellow ! or red X next to the USB port settings.

Are your MBs chipset/SMBus drivers up to date.

JoeBenyon

JoeBenyon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
Everything seems to be fine in the Device Manager except only 3 'USB Input Device' are showing up, and I'm guessing those are my 3 USB 2.0 Ports which means none of my USB 3.0 ports are showing up.

And How can I check this?

Are your MBs chipset/SMBus drivers up to date.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,710 posts
Have you tried the "Scan for hardware changes option" in the Device Manager.

AMD Driver Autodetect and/or DriverMax - be sure to uncheck the "install AVG toolbar" option.

JoeBenyon

JoeBenyon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
My SMBus controller is out of date, and so was USB Input Device which I have now updated but I can't update the SMBus using the program, where can I manually update it? "ATI I/O Communications Processor SMBus Controller"

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,710 posts
Those drivers appear to be quite old http://www.drivermax...Bus-Denetleyici

JoeBenyon

JoeBenyon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
What should I do?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,710 posts
Try a fresh install of those latest drivers.

Have you tried the "Scan for hardware changes option" in the Device Manager.

What is the answer to the above please.

JoeBenyon

JoeBenyon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
I tried Scanning for hardware changes but nothing changed.

And I updated the SMBus driver and they still don't seem to be working.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,710 posts
Please Run the PCPitstop.com OverDrive Full Tests

Here's how:

You must use your Internet Explorer for this procedure. (doesn't work so well in Firefox or others). If your machine is running Vista or Windows 7, you must Select IE to “Run as Administrator”. After completing PCPitstop OverDrive you can close your IE browser and re-open it Normally so that you are no longer running as administrator.

Go to: http://www.pcpitstop...pit/default.asp
Click on "Free Computer Check-up" listed below PC Pitstop OverDrive
In the User Login - Click on "Sign up FREE!"
You'll need to submit a valid email address and create your own password, then click - Create Account(button)

Now enter your email address and password to Log in, Select - Scan this system Now!(button)
You will then be asked to download an ActiveX component and allow it to install.
It is safe and does not compromise your privacy.
Follow the on-screen prompts to install the ActiveX and to allow the Full Tests to be run on your machine.

The Full Tests take about 2 1/2 - 3 minutes on most machines.
When complete, a Results - Summary - Recommended Fixes will be displayed.

Please post the URL internet address, from your Results, back here into this Topic Thread so that we can review the configuration and present performance levels of your machine.

Note: During the graphics 2D and graphics 3D testing, your screen will display some rapidly moving objects.
If you are sensitive to visual flashing, it may cause dizziness. Therefore, look away from the screen during that portion of the testing.

After reviewing the results we will be more informed and may be able to provide better recommendations for you to work towards improving your machine's performance.

While PCPitstop does offer a variety of Paid Products, the PCPitstop OverDrive testing is FREE. Please ignore the references to Paid Products. We prefer to provide manual solution instructions that you can apply directly to your machine.

Thanks to rshaffer61 for the PCPitstop information :thumbsup:

NB: An example of the url that we require and the information that it leads to http://www.pcpitstop.com/betapit/sec.asp?conid=25271813

JoeBenyon

JoeBenyon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
Here you go: LINK

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,710 posts
Try installing the Asmedia USB 3.0 Driver V1.14.3.0 driver from Here (select the change the product) or from Here

As an asides you have multiple USB driver entries 6/21/06 6.1.7601. 17586 have you downloaded these manually.

JoeBenyon

JoeBenyon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
I have installed it and restarted my PC but nothing seems to have changed.
Also, I haven't downloaded them manually.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,710 posts
Have you read This thread regarding problems with the USB 3 ports.