Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

USB 3.0 Ports don't work

• Please log in to reply

JoeBenyon

JoeBenyon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Uninstalled all USB drivers, Uninstalled Chipset Drivers

Should I try this? And if so how can I do it?

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,710 posts
Download the latest chipset and USB 3.0 drivers for your MB and save them to your desktop, create a new restore point go into the Device Manager, uninstall the chipset and USB drivers, restart the computer, install the chipset drivers and then finally the USB 3.0 drivers and see how it goes.

JoeBenyon

JoeBenyon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
I have downloaded the latest USB 3 and Chipset Drivers, which ones do I uninstall from the Device Manager?
Posted Image

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,710 posts
What about the Chipset drivers as they must be installed first.

Have you created a new restore point.

Leave the ASMedia XHCI Controller and uninstall all but one of each of the drivers for the Enhanced PCI USB host controller, Standard openhcd USB controller, USB Composite device and USB Root Hub, restart the computer and install the new drivers, again please ensure that you have created a new restore point first.

JoeBenyon

JoeBenyon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
I have the Chipset Drivers aswell, and yes I have a Restore point.
Is it correct that there is 1 USB 3 Driver and 1 Chipset Driver?

AMD_Chipset_V13254_51010008_XPVISTAWIN7
Asmedia_USB3_V11430_XPVistaWin7

Edited by JoeBenyon, 22 September 2013 - 07:23 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,710 posts
That is correct :thumbsup:

JoeBenyon

JoeBenyon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
That didn't seem to work, I encountered a few issues in the process, one being that my Mouse and Keyboard are both USB, so when trying to uninstall they stopped working, and after the restart I checked the device manager and nothing had changed despite me uninstalling them. I then installed the USB 3 and Chipset Drivers, restarted again and everything was the same, the USB 3 ports still don't work.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,710 posts
Can I ask what the brand and model name or number details are for your computer case.

JoeBenyon

JoeBenyon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
My Case is InWIN MANA-136 BLACK GAMING CASE

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,710 posts
Thanks, I asked in case the case has front USB 3.0 ports that could be conflicting.

Something that I should have asked earlier is what type of devices are you trying to connect to the USB 3.0 ports, ASUS says that the ports are only for USB 3.0 capable storage devices.

Have you thought about contacting theASUS tech support

Advertisements

JoeBenyon

JoeBenyon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
The only USB 3.0 ports are the 2 on the front, the ones on the back are all USB 2.0

I tried connecting my Headset, Mouse, Keyboard but none of them worked, I have also tried a Windows Controller which didn't work either.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,710 posts
Can I double check that I have the correct MB as the ASUS specs say that there are only two USB 3.0 ports on the rear of the MB;

USB Ports
Built-in Controller :
10 x USB 2.0 port(s) (4 at back panel, black, 6 at mid-board)
Built-in Controller :
2 x USB 3.0 port(s) (2 at back panel, blue)

JoeBenyon

JoeBenyon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
That's correct I think, I only have 2 USB 3.0 Ports, both of which are on the front.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,710 posts
Unfortunately there are no additional USB 3.0 headers on the MB to connect to case the front USB 3.0 ports, you only have the blue 3.0 USB ports on the back panel and these are integrated into the MB so there is no option to disconnect the rear ports and then hook up the front ports.

You could fit a PCI-E USB 3.0 card that also has a couple of internal headers that you can connect the case front 3.0 ports, an example can be seen Here

Less expensive option Here

Edited by phillpower2, 22 September 2013 - 10:03 AM.
Additional link added

JoeBenyon

JoeBenyon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
Ah, turns out there is also 2 USB 3.0 Ports on the back that I had never noticed before, so I'm guessing the 2 on the front aren't connected. Kind of annoying only having 1 working port on the front though.