Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

CPU fan starts then stops

• Please log in to reply

genosse

genosse

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hello,

I am building a new PC, and having issues. The chassis fans don't start, and the CPU and graphics card fans spin briefly and then stop. Any help would be appreciated.

Specs:
MB: Asus Z87-Pro
CPU: Intel i7-4770-k (with the Intel supplied fan)
RAM: Kingston HyperX Beast, 8 Gb (two planks)
PSU: Corsair Enthusiast TX 750
Body: Silverstone Fortress (4 inbuilt fans)

Thank you in advance.

Advertisements

nic777

nic777

• PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
Do the fans spin freely when you give them a whirl?

While the fan stops, have you tried to 'start it' manually...sometimes they need a push and will take back off. Of course don't touch anything else besides the fan, and don't do that unless you're comfortable with power being on. ;)

genosse

genosse

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thank you. Yes, the rotation is free and nothing is obstructing the blades. I have checked the PSU ("paperclip test"), and it's functional. Trying to give the blades an extra push did not help.

nic777

nic777

• PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
This is a new build, yes?

This is the first time you have tried to turn it on post build, or had it been working prior to posting this issue?

If the fans start up, then stop...and the system doesn't start it's likely a power issue.

If the fans start, then stop, but the system runs...do not allow it to run more than a minute.

The paperclip test doesn't test the PSU for integrity or faulty power loads. You could for instance not be getting enough or the proper voltage to your CPU (4 or 8 pin) connector.

Do you have an alternative PSU to try?

genosse

genosse

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Yup, this is a new build, and no - it never turned on fully.
I guess I'm not 100% sure why it is the CPU only fan that is starting briefly and stopping, while none of the chassis fans move. The system is not running.
Motherboard is supposed to have the diagnostic LED with the error codes, but it never turns on. Other LEDs (power, power consumption mode) on the motherboard do light up and remain lit as long as the PSU is connected to the motherboard and is in the "on" mode.
I think power is adequate. It's 24 pin + 8 pin that go to the motherboard, and in the manual it is written the maximum load on 12 V is 62 A.
Unfortunately I don't have another PSU at hand. Well, I do, but it's maximum load is less (18 A).

nic777

nic777

• PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
If you do not want to order a new PSU to confirm your current is faulty I would suggest buying a PSU tester such as This one here or if you plan on building more computers, perhaps this one instead.

There is no way to really test your PSU unless you have enough experience with a volt meter, and the color coded wire from your PSU Manufacturer.

I would get the tester if you're feeling it's something else faulty. That way you're not out too much money or time to continue troubleshooting.

Without spending too much time looking up your specs, if your have onboard video - pull your GPU and try that. Your old 18A PSU may be enough power, assuming it has 24 + 8 adapters.

Edited by nic777, 14 September 2013 - 02:32 PM.

genosse

genosse

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
End of the thread: it was another of these annoying "ghost hunts". Reseated the motherboard, changed the battery, reset CMOS and voila - everything is working now.
Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

Edited by genosse, 14 September 2013 - 04:52 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,043 posts
Glad you got it sorted and thanks for posting the solution genosse :thumbsup: