Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Intel 478, Foxconn 865M01-G-6LS - Siren Bios Beep

• Please log in to reply

nic777

nic777

• PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
Hey G2G, it's been a while.

I'm working on a computer, it has an old Pentium 4 socket 478. Motherboard is a Foxconn 865M01-G-6LS with phoenix bios.

I'm getting that 'Siren Beep' High - Low, repeats itself until the system powers itself off.

It has been a while since I have played with that beep code, but last I remember it was either a fan failure of CPU overheating.

Assuming it was overheating as the fans were spinning, I removed the heatsink and cleaned off the 9 year old thermal paste, installed new paste, and of course I snapped the genuine Intel CPU cooler bracket as I put it back in. Some quick bond epoxy and 12 hours later I got it back on. As I installed the cooler with my fix, it ended up snapping in a new place. I swear I was being as gentle as possible. Well, it turns out that whoever installed the cooler must have broke one of the pivot arms that add tension to the cooler. But there is no way it needed that added tension.

I rummaged through some old hardware and ended up finding an AWC 478 cooler. And man, that thing is loud.

After putting it on, (seemed like much less tension than the old intel one) I fired the system up. 5 seconds into post I got the ambulance coming at me, full speed ahead.

So I figured maybe the thermal paste needed to warm up, make a nice thermal setup.

Reboot, same thing.

--- Alright so I assumed the PSU must be giving faulty voltage. It's one of those old mid tower $40 ATX cases with the chinese PSU. I couldn't believe it was still running, so I tried out an Antec instead.

Same thing, siren beep code.

Well I got frustrated and reset the BIOS through itself, not clearing CMOS.

I then also plugged in the chasis fan (had sidecover off, saw no purpose). The fan is not a PWM fan, just connected to molex...so I know there is no sensor for it.

Well anyway, got it on...and ran Prime 95. 25 minutes, no issues. Before it would be 5-10 minutes max.

So I wanted to pull my variable out, the Antec PSU, and try again.

Now I'm back to the chinese stock PSU. Prime 95, 17 minutes in and counting.

My client is very eager to have her system back. Probably for facebook and all those word games. ;)

Anyone familiar with that bios beep code? I've googled up and down for it. Phoenix bios go into depth with their code lists unlike Award, but I don't see it in there unless it's the 1-2-1-2 code. Which has nothing to do with CPU. I can't find a manual for the bios chip either, page has been taken down from the website. And foxconn has a mobo manual no bios beep codes for it.

Any thoughts, maybe some old school people with advice on this older system? It sure seems to be purring now. Knock on wood.

Advertisements

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
The Siren noise usually indicates some sort of CPU problem.

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,976 posts

Also it could be the PSU fan, I got one case like that the other day with the siren beep code.
Maybe the PSU fan was stuck and now it's running?

nic777

nic777

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts

That's what I assumed.

Also it could be the PSU fan, I got one case like that the other day with the siren beep code.
Maybe the PSU fan was stuck and now it's running?

Could have, but after I used the new PSU it still continued to do its antics.

However, the only change now has been the new CPU Cooler / thermal paste. I believe that was the culprit, I'll let you know if it changes.

Edited by nic777, 14 September 2013 - 02:26 PM.