Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need help with an old VB application

• Please log in to reply

KavSL

KavSL

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi.
Newbie here.. and I'm in urgent need of help.

A friend's organization used a system developed in VB (back in the early 2000's) to keep track of things like student registrations, membership details, receipts etc. Unfortunately for them, the developer (who had been doing maintenance on it) had a major disagreement and skipped out on them (deleting the source code in the process). They've been using the same system since then for about an year (stupid, I know) ,but recently their server crashed on them (Its an older model bought in the early 2000s and finding a replacement motherboard is a no go and the app won't run with any other motherboard).

Now, the application is basically useless and can't be accessed from any of the terminals in the network since its password protected (I'm assuming that the password needs to be verified by the Server and that main components of the application are stored on it.).
I copied the application folder from a hub and the reports seem to be saved in .RPT format. I tried the general Crystal Report viewers et al to open them, but the login fails.

They really need to get the student details/ payments etc. from it... Is there anyway to do so? VB and Programming is not my forte unfortunately...
If anyone could even take a crack at it (I can upload the files and app I got from the terminal here) I'd really appreciate it!

Thanks in advance.
Cheers...

Advertisements