Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Recovery Partition

• Please log in to reply

Hazzard64

Hazzard64

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I had a laptop hard drive die on me and i cannot seem to get the recovery partition off of it. I have 4 satas on my desktop and it wont register, also it stops my computer fromm starting windows when plugged in.

Its a Western Digi WD2500BEVS 250 gig.

Is there any way to rescue the recovery info so i can re install windows on my laptop?

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
:welcome: Hazzard64

An article that may help can be found Here but only if the area on the HDD where the Recovery Partition was/is stored has not been damaged.

Have you tried disconnecting the other HDDs on your desktop and only connecting the problem drive, if not please do so and see if the HDD is detected in the BIOS and whether or not it can be selected as the first boot device.

If the HDD is not being detected in the BIOS and/or the Device/Disk manager then the drive has most likely failed mechanically or electrically in the case of a bad PCB.

Can I ask what OS you are using as in XP, Vista, Windows 7 or 8, this to see if you have the option to download an ISO and do a fresh installation of the OS (not available for XP).

Hazzard64

Hazzard64

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Turns out that drive is shot beyond my abilities. thanks for the advice anyway

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
Sorry that it is not better news but thanks for the follow up Hazzard64 :thumbsup: