Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How to merge non adjacent partitions?

• Please log in to reply

Plutox

Plutox

• PipPipPip
  • 349 posts
The title says it all. I have tried EaseUSPart. Manager but found it doesn't do this. Does any manager?

My C Partition has somehow got split up with a following D backup partition followed by an unallocated partition. This odd partition was without a drive letter but I have now assigned one, F. It has 33MB of something on it but I cannot find out what - it is not listed in My Computer even after assigning that F letter to it.

So I'd like to rejoin C with that F.

Any suggestions please.

Advertisements

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
I doubt that any manager would do that. Some RAID software might, but most would want the same size for both.

I suspect the easier method is to backup the D & F partitions, delete them, then expand the C partition and re-create and restore the D partition, assuming that you don't need the F partition.

Does the F partition have a filesystem on it?

Sogatz77

Sogatz77

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi,

You can delete F drive, after that, it will become unallocated space. Then, use another free partition manager named AOMEI Partition Assistant Standard Edition to merge unallocated space to C drive. Step-by-step tutorial: http://www.disk-part...-partition.html

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
On the web page that you linked:

To merge partitions, the two partitions must be adjacent.

It is not adjacent in this case, so that won't work. The non-adjacent is the issue.

Sogatz77

Sogatz77

• Pip
  • 3 posts

On the web page that you linked:

To merge partitions, the two partitions must be adjacent.

It is not adjacent in this case, so that won't work. The non-adjacent is the issue.

Choose the case 2: Merge unallocated space into one partition. Don't need to create F drive, In the first post, Plutox mentioned:"My C Partition has somehow got split up with a following D backup partition followed by an unallocated partition." Therefore, just delete F drive and make it as unallocated partition again. Then, use the partition manager to merge unallocated space to C drive.

Edited by Sogatz77, 16 September 2013 - 11:56 PM.

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts

Choose the case 2: Merge unallocated space into one partition. Don't need to create F drive, In the first post, Plutox mentioned:"My C Partition has somehow got split up with a following D backup partition followed by an unallocated partition." Therefore, just delete F drive and make it as unallocated partition again. Then, use the partition manager to merge unallocated space to C drive.

As I understand it, the partitions are:

C D F

If you delete F, that leaves the unallocated space adjacent to D, not C, so it can not be merged into C as it is not adjacent to C.

Plutox

Plutox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts
Thanks for all those responses.

I'm glad to know that it can present a problem and not something that is done every day which would point to my ignorance.

I added that F thinking that without a letter was why the merge didn't work so I'll get back to it being unallocated and try that link.

Plutox

Plutox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts
Oh I've just seen Kemasa's post - so no solution then - Hmmm - .

By the way that 33mb of something on that F partition - how can I see what that is? I still can't see that in My Computer.

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
If the F partition does not have a filesystem on it, then there would be nothing there unless it was used as a space for a problem directly.

Based on what you said, it might have just been unallocated space.

Plutox

Plutox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts

If the F partition does not have a filesystem on it,

Sorry I don't understand what here means a 'file system'. Before all this the C drive size was about 30 GB. Then I noticed it had shrunk to 22GB (not at all full) and the 8GB remaining, which I presumed empty, had moved to an unallocted partition on the other side of the D partition.

Then by right clicking on it(? can't remember now) it indicated that 33 MB is on it.

so I thought that my usable C drive was now shortened and possibly I had lost as unusable that 8GB - true? If the C drive fills up, extra stuff won't spill over to that 8GB space, will it?

I hope this gives a clearer picture of the situation.

Advertisements

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts

Sorry I don't understand what here means a 'file system'. Before all this the C drive size was about 30 GB. Then I noticed it had shrunk to 22GB (not at all full) and the 8GB remaining, which I presumed empty, had moved to an unallocted partition on the other side of the D partition.

Then by right clicking on it(? can't remember now) it indicated that 33 MB is on it.

so I thought that my usable C drive was now shortened and possibly I had lost as unusable that 8GB - true? If the C drive fills up, extra stuff won't spill over to that 8GB space, will it?

I hope this gives a clearer picture of the situation.

You partition the disk, but until you put a filesystem on it, it is not in use, just raw data space.

Unless you ran something which changed the size, it could not have changed in size. Also, you said that the D partition follows it.

Can you post what the partitions are? A picture might help.

Plutox

Plutox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts
No the D doesn't follow that 'space', I said 'had moved to an unallocated partition on the other side of the D partition.' by which I meant C D 'F'.

I do have an image of the set up in 'Clip Magic Lite' but cannot do any pasting here with it and have also tried PrtScreen and using Paint which gets it into Bitmap. Can I use this somehow?

Sorry to be uninformed on this process - how can I get that image here?

Thanks for your help on this - appreciated.

It's getting late so can leave it till tomorrow or so.

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
I think there is a snapshot program which you can capture part of the screen. I normally use Linux, so I forget what Windoze uses.

I think I understand what you are saying and said that the space follows D, which is the problem. If the program that you are using allows the partitions to be moved and if you are sure that nothing is on F, then you could delete F and move D so that the space is between the C & D partition, but make sure you backup everything before doing too much since if something goes wrong, you could lose everything.

Plutox

Plutox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts
Thanks for that solution - that's what I'll probably do altho there's that 33MB on F which I can't see but I can't think it's anything vital.

The snapshot method: won't that also be an image, the same as clipboard, ClipMagic and PrntScreen which I find I can't paste.I thought of photographing the screen on an SD card but that's the same problem I think.

As XP is ending will Linux make this dilemma easier/straightforward?

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
You would need to save the image, then you can upload it to the web site and link it to this thread. I think that you need to use the full editor.

If you changed over to Linux, you would need to re-partition the disk and use different filesystems, so it would not really solve your problem.

The easy method is to use another disk to backup all the information to it and then restore it back as you want.