Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How to merge non adjacent partitions?

• Please log in to reply

Sogatz77

Sogatz77

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Choose the case 2: Merge unallocated space into one partition. Don't need to create F drive, In the first post, Plutox mentioned:"My C Partition has somehow got split up with a following D backup partition followed by an unallocated partition." Therefore, just delete F drive and make it as unallocated partition again. Then, use the partition manager to merge unallocated space to C drive.

As I understand it, the partitions are:

C D F

If you delete F, that leaves the unallocated space adjacent to D, not C, so it can not be merged into C as it is not adjacent to C.

The partition manager can merge unallocated space (available for adjacent or not adjacent to the partition you want to extend) to a partition .

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,526 posts
Go to start and in the run box type in compmgmt.msc and hit enter.
Under storage expand disk drives.

To do a screenshot please click on your Print Screen on your keyboard. It is normally the key above your number pad between the F12 key and the Scroll Lock key
Now go to Start and then to All Programs
Scroll to Accessories and then click on Paint
In the Empty White Area click and hold the CTRL key and then click the V
Go to the File option at the top and click on Save as
Save as file type JPEG and save it to your Desktop

Attach it to your next reply

Like everyone else, to my knowledge there is no way to merge partitions that are not adjacent to each other.
Also, the F being 33mb is no where close to the 8gb you say is missing from C drive.

Plutox

Plutox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts
Thanks 123Runner - I only said that there was 33MB on the 7GB part - no other implication.

Hope the attachment helps.

partitions image.JPG

OH I note this is an early image before I named it F but all other is the same.

Edited by Plutox, 24 September 2013 - 04:50 AM.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,526 posts
Since you have D labeled as backup, I assume it is only data, pictures, etc. I would format the 7gb and then copy the D drive contents to the 7gb drive.
You can then delete the D drive contents and merge it with the C drive. I believe at that time you can then shrink the 7gb so you can add more to the C drive.

Plutox

Plutox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts
The label for D as Backup is that of the computer's OEM setup. D contains the drivers for the computer's components so unfortunately your otherwise good suggestion seems inapplicable - a pity.

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
Actually, I would do it slightly differently, but the solution is correct.

I would create a 4.05G partition (7.02-2.97), then create a replacement D partition of 2.97Gb since there is no need to waste space. Create a filesystem on the new partition and copy all of the files from the current D partition to that partition. You would then delete the 4.05Gb partition, which is used to just push the other partition up. Also, delete the old D partition and make sure that the new partition has the drive letter D assigned to it.

Then you can expand the C partition to use all of the unallocated space.

Plutox

Plutox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts
Yes that seems a good solution particularly as I previously wanted to remove that wasted space on D and use it on C. I'll give it a whirl - thanks.