Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Vaio wont boot, Black Screen, cant Hard Reset too

• Please log in to reply

Dush

Dush

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi all,

I am having a peculiar problem,

The system is a Sony Vaio VPCEA43EG and about a couple of years old.
HDD 320 GB
RAM 4GB

Now coming to the problem part of it is, I had set the laptop for a torrents download with auto hibernate settings set after completion of the downloads.
The battery was unplugged and I went to bed hoping my download would be available the next day. Unfortunately The system wouldn't boot.
All I could see is a green glow on the power button and nothing, no HDD light no fan , no battery light and most weird was the machine would not shut down on holding the power button for eternity. Only way out was unplug the power chords and remove the battery too get switch off the green light on the power button.

Next up I tried without the battery and charge plugged in , still same.

Now I dont know if my Mother Board has crashed, HD has crashed or if it is my screen.

Please suggest how do I begin my investigation :(

Edited by Dush, 20 September 2013 - 08:35 AM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
:welcome: Dush

Now coming to the problem part of it is, I had set the laptop for a torrents

First and foremost I must ask whether or not you are aware of the dangers of malware attack when downloading torrents, I am not suggesting that is what is causing the present issue/s - only the trained staff on the malware forums can and are permitted to advise on that possibility.

Try removing the battery, the AC adapter + the Ram, hold down the power on button for 20 to 30 seconds to dispel any possible static charge that may have built up in the computer, reassemble the computer and see how it goes.

To help with removing and replacing the Ram see Here

Dush

Dush

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi,
I sorry for posting a bit late,
I forgot to add to the post the other diagnostics I had tried,

I opened up my Laptop,
Removed the Ram, Tried flushing out the static charges by pressing the power button for some time but in vain.
:(

I even tried substituting the RAM chips ( 2 chips of 2GB each).

Could it be the SMPS?

Does the light on power button led glow green if the SMPS is blown out??

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
No worries as none of us can be here 24/7 + I will be absent for a few hours shortly :thumbsup:

Does the light on power button led glow green if the SMPS is blown out??

Faulty yes - blown no.

Please try removing the Ram and the battery and use only the AC adapter to see if the behavior changes.

I will be back asap.

Dush

Dush

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Tried removing both the rams (2GB + 2GB) and the battery and ran the diagnostic still the same behaviour,

Again tried with one ram and battery removed and left the power cord on still the same.

Now replaced the ram and tried still the same.
:(
The greenlight on the led of power switch , but hard shutdown by pressing it for sometime fails too, the led once on does seem to go off. It goes off only when u remove the power cable and batter both. Rest of the components including the fan are dead.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
Can I ask whether the DC power jack port on the notebook is in good condition as in not loose or worn or the centre pin itself damaged/loose, I am only asking that you check the port and at present not recommending it is replaced - see video below.

The MB could be bad but the AC adapter could also be to blame as in that it is faulty and so not charging the notebooks battery which has resulted in the battery being fully run out of charge.

I suggest that if you cannot borrow a compatible AC adapter/charger that you take it to a local tech store where they should have a suitable AC adapter to try, many stores will do this for free but please check first.

Dush

Dush

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Update,

dont know what happened but,
Now when I plug in the charger and press the power button , the fan starts, i hear a click beside the cd rom,
it behaves like machine is going to start momentarily but after say 5 sec its dead again, and the led blinks (on the power button), it goes off and comes back after 1 sec. By now I see the fan go off. Again the power led is back green without any one pressing it, the fan starts again and this cycle continues.

It behaves same on one ram, no ram and both the ram chips on.

Any clue on that?

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20130922_222104.jpg

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
As per my reply #6

Can I ask whether the DC power jack port on the notebook is in good condition as in not loose or worn or the centre pin itself damaged/loose, I am only asking that you check the port and at present not recommending it is replaced

I suggest that if you cannot borrow a compatible AC adapter/charger that you take it to a local tech store where they should have a suitable AC adapter to try, many stores will do this for free but please check first.

What you describe is common when there is a system short, a poor power supply or a computer is overheating, the latter is less likely unless the cooling fan has failed and the easiest of the other two to check is trying a known good power supply.

RE the click that you heard, could it have been from the HDD.

Dush

Dush

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi Phil,

Thanks for the support,

Ya checked on the power cord and it seems to be fine, though havent checked with a different cord.

Don't know what I did but opened up again, detached all, including the CD rom, re assembled and tried , wasnt working,

but now I have closed the case, re attached, and voila, it boots

:)

Don't know for how long this is on but surely some loose connects must have been the case.

a video is here attached which I prepared

Cheers ,
Dush

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
Hi Dush and thanks for the update :thumbsup:

A loose connection does sound feasible - a sticking power button is also a possibility.

Is the notebook now staying on as it would be good if you were able to get the battery fully charged so that you were not reliant on the AC adapter power supply.

You are welcome BTW :)

Dush

Dush

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Guys back again with problem on the same laptop.

Similar problem,

the laptop worked for some days and then phoosh. the same problem.

Now I noticed that the laptop boots once if tried after a long interval. probably it drains all the static stored on it.
But once it boots , it shuts down sometimes after the windows have started and sometimes during boot and then then it fails to boot again.

Again if you try after some time it boots again and fails immediately.

Ring any bells??