Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wich memory failed?

• Please log in to reply

Horus79

Horus79

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
Hey all,

here's the thing... Yesterday I was playing Rome:Total War 2 when suddenly my pc shut down.
Eversince I booted up after that, I can see tiny blue lines/waves troughout the whole screen... I can't reinstall my graphics drivers, allthough all my diagnostic tools (HP) said everything is fine except for the RAM, it gives a BSOD when I install the driver.

I removed the bad (of 2) 2 GB RAM module and now it says the RAM is good, but still I got the tiny blue stuffs all over the screen and can't install my drivers for my graphics card.

I also ran the Video Memory Stress test but it gives this error:

Changing video mode to 640x480x16...OK
[19-9-2013 21:22:18] Test started for "Primair beeldschermstuurprogramma (Standaard-VGA grafische adapter)"...
Trying 16bpp RGB:565 mode...NOT SUPPORTED (Code: 88760233)
Trying 16bpp RGB:555 mode...NOT SUPPORTED (Code: 88760233)
Trying 16bpp BGR:565 mode...NOT SUPPORTED (Code: 88760233)
Trying 32bpp RGB:888 mode...NOT SUPPORTED (Code: 88760233)
Trying 32bpp BGR:888 mode...NOT SUPPORTED (Code: 88760233)
NO PASS COMPLETED

My guess is that both RAM and the graphics card died/fried.
My pc runs
Processor: Intel® Core™2 Quad CPU Q8200 @ 2.33GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.3GHz
Memory: 2046MB RAM (originally 4GB)
Videocard: GeForce GT 230 (yeah I know, it's old lol)

Any ideas on wich memory failed and/or how to fix it?

Regards,

Dennis

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
:welcome: Horus79

Can I ask what the PSU brand and model name or number are.

Download Speedfan and install it. Once it's installed, run the program and post here the information it shows. The information I want you to post is the stuff that is circled in the example picture I have attached.
If you are running on a vista machine, please go to where you installed the program and run the program as administrator.

Posted Image
(this is a screenshot from a vista machine)

To capture and post a screenshot;

Click on the ALT key + PRT SCR key..its on the top row..right hand side..now click on start...all programs...accessories...paint....left click in the white area ...press CTRL + V...click on file...click on save...save it to your desktop...name it something related to the screen your capturing... BE SURE TO SAVE IT AS A .JPG ...otherwise it may be to big to upload... then after typing in any response you have... click on browse...desktop...find the screenshot..select it and click on the upload button...then on the lower left...after it says upload successful...click on add reply like you normally would.

Depending on the results we may need to run further software for comparison http://www.cpuid.com.../hwmonitor.html

Screenshot instructions are provided to assist those that may read this topic but are not yet aware of the “how to”.

Horus79

Horus79

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Hi phillpower2,

thanks for your reply,
The PSU model and brand are:
Delta Electronics
dps-300ab-19b

For me it's night atm so I won't be able to reply within the next 8-10 hours :(
Thanks!

Dennis

Attached Thumbnails

• speenfan.jpg

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
Thanks for the update Horus79 :thumbsup:

There are no voltage readings showing in the Speedfan screenshot so can you run HWMonitor and again provide a screenshot for us - HWMonitor

Delta is a good brand of PSU and 300W and 19A on the +12V rail covers what the GT230 requires (which is 300W and 18A) but keep in mind that PSUs do not last forever and a weak one will damage your hardware and normally the GPU is the first to suffer as it demands the most power.

To check a possible driver issue;

Download the latest drivers and save them to your desktop then create a new restore point.

Next uninstall the old NVIDIA drivers (if they are still installed) using Add or Remove Programs. You can get to Add or Remove Programs by clicking on the Start Button, then clicking on Control Panel. Then click Add or Remove Programs. Once in Add or Remove Programs, you need to find NVIDIA Drivers and click Change/Remove. (If you have an NVIDIA chipset, make sure the NVIDIA Display Driver checkbox is checked, then click Remove. Otherwise, just click Yes.)

Next, please download and install Driver Sweeper from http://www.guru3d.co...er_sweeper.html (Click on the Download (Europe) link, then scroll down and click on I Agree.)

Then, boot the computer into safe mode. To do this,
• Turn the computer on (or restart the computer if it is already on).
• Start tapping the F8 key. The Windows Advanced Boot Options Menu appears. If you begin tapping the F8 key too soon, some computers display a "keyboard error" message. To resolve this, restart the computer and try again.
• Ensure that the Safe mode option is selected.
• Press Enter. The computer then begins to start in safe mode.
Next, open the program, Guru3D Driver Sweeper, that you just installed. Check the checkbox for cleaning NVIDIA - Display drivers. Then press the Clean button.

Reboot normally (not into safe mode), and then, install the newest drivers again.

You are welcome BTW :)

NB: I may not be around until late myself tomorrow due to other commitments.

Horus79

Horus79

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Thanks for the advice, but unfortunately it didn't work as well.
When I followed the steps in the above post, windows, instead of a BSOD, kept loading for hours after installing the graphics driver. I manually rebooted after approx. 2 hours to find windows in restore mode again.

I also installed HWMonitor and added a screen of the results.

Attached Thumbnails

• hwmonitor.jpg

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
Back up all important data on the HDD as a precaution please, if you do not have a full OS installation disk create an image of the present installation using Macrium Reflect (Free)

I will be asking you to run SFC (system file checker) in due course so can you tell what OS you have please as in XP, Vista, Windows 7 etc.

For a computer that is not under load your CPU temps are a bit high (Maximum operating temperature 71.4°C) can I ask when the inside of the computer was last cleaned out of heat trapping dust.

There are no voltage readings showing in HWMonitor (I detest Pegatron MBs for this) so can you check them in the BIOS for us please, no screenshot required but can you make a note of the readings as shown in my example screenshot below and post them with your next update, please also see my canned text below regarding the BIOS readings;

NB: BIOS voltage readings.
The readings are not conclusive in the BIOS as the computer is under the least amount of load, if they are higher or lower than what they should be though it does suggest a PSU problem.

Horus79

Horus79

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
My PC runs a windows Vista home premium. The OS installationdisc is on another partition (D:)
I'm used to cleaning the inside casing every 6 months or so and as toroughly as possible.

I wasn't able to read the voltages as my BIOS doesn't seem to have that feature, or I just can't find it.
I'm not too familiar with BIOS, is it a hidden option within BIOS, all mine gives in the 'power' section are options whether to boot the pc after power failure and to enable the xd something (processor disable?)

Sorry for any inconvinience.

Edited by Horus79, 21 September 2013 - 04:26 AM.

Horus79

Horus79

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
I ran the SFC. It said there were some damaged files wich couldn't be repaired automaticly.
Here's the log.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
Not sure of your BIOS set up so we should leave that for now as sorting out the OS may resolve the issue that you are having.

You sometimes need to run SFC 3-4 times for it to complete all repairs, if SFC cannot repair/replace all damaged files you will need your Vista DVD (if you have one) in order to do aRepair Installation of the OS.

If you do not have a DVD disk you can download an ISO from Here free of charge.

Horus79

Horus79

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
I'm pretty sure now it's my video card.
I noticed a second card (onboard) and set it as primary trough BIOS and plugged in the monitor. All issues are gone now, except the fact it's a crappy card. The screen doesn't show the blue stripes/waves now as well as windows itself boots without complications. I'm afraid I killed my video card with that game. I've also put back the RAM and no errors, but it might need a while before showing any... (I'm not an expert lol)

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
A weak PSU could also have damaged your video card so I would keep a check on it.

Now that you can boot up the computer you could try uninstalling the present GT 230 drivers and doing a fresh download and installation of Nvidea drivers and try the card again, if the issue is still present then removing the GT 230 is advised in case it is bad + it will ease the power demands on a PSU that could also be responsible.

Horus79

Horus79

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
The problem still persists :(
I wouldn't how to check the PSU unfortunately, I've checked the BIOS several if I missed anything, but can't find it still.
I'll remove the 'bad' card just in case.

Thanks for all the help Phillpower2!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
Which problem please Horus79.

Have you run SFC a couple more times.

As per my earlier reply:

Now that you can boot up the computer you could try uninstalling the present GT 230 drivers and doing a fresh download and installation of Nvidea drivers and try the card again, if the issue is still present then removing the GT 230 is advised in case it is bad + it will ease the power demands on a PSU that could also be responsible.

Please don`t stress yourself over the PSU readings but do giveSpeccy a try and see if that picks them up, never mind though if it doesn't.

Horus79

Horus79

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Sorry, I meant the problem of windows restoring when I install the Nvidia driver.
I've ran SFC a 5-6 more times indeed, there's still files that's can't be repaired by it, maybe a few more runs would do it.

Speccy gave me this about my motherboard:

Motherboard
Manufacturer PEGATRON CORPORATION
Model Benicia (CPU 1)
Chipset Vendor Intel
Chipset Model P35/G33/G31
Chipset Revision A2
Southbridge Vendor Intel
Southbridge Model 82801IR (ICH9R)
Southbridge Revision 02
System Temperature 42 °C
BIOS
Brand American Megatrends Inc.
Version 5.43
Date 10-9-2009
Voltage
VIN0 1,672 V
MEMORY CONTROLLER 1,688 V
VIN2 1,640 V
PCI Data
Slot PCI
Slot Type PCI
Slot Usage Available
Bus Width 32 bit
Slot Designation PCI-E x16
Characteristics 3.3V, Shared, PME
Slot Number 0
Slot PCI
Slot Type PCI
Slot Usage In Use
Bus Width 32 bit
Slot Designation PCI-E x1
Slot Number 1
Slot PCI
Slot Type PCI
Slot Usage In Use
Bus Width 32 bit
Slot Designation PCI-E x1
Slot Number 2
Slot PCI
Slot Type PCI
Slot Usage Available
Bus Width 32 bit
Slot Designation PCI1
Slot Number 3

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
Thanks for clarifying for us :thumbsup:

have you tried an earlier driver to see if that helps.

Have you been asked to insert an OS disk at any time, this can happen with SFC if files are missing or so badly damaged that they need to be replaced.

Have you made sure that Vista is fully up to date.

Nothing doing with the PSU readings so the MB obviously has no sensors.

An alternative GPU stress test