Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wich memory failed?

• Please log in to reply

Horus79

Horus79

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
No problem, I'm happy your going trough so much trouble to help :)

Actually I tried 2 different drivers from NVidia, the latest and second latest.
Also SFC never asked for an OS disc, but could it be it never did because the OS is on another partition from wich it reads/installs etc.?
I did all updates that came out as well...

I'll put the GPU back on to primary, with an older driver then I used so far and run the benchmark you mentioned.

I guess its a generic MB wich HP uses, if only I had the time and $$$ to build my own machine lol

(EDIT: I tried to use the benchmark with the GPU and an older driver... I took the driver from january 2013, but it still made the pc boot in 'restore mode'. My guess is I need a new graphics cars with a better PSU to support it, heh maybe a new pc :P )

Edited by Horus79, 22 September 2013 - 04:23 PM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts
Thanks for the update Horus79 :thumbsup:

If the OS is on the drive that is set as the first boot device then SFC would scan that partition - is the OS on the first boot device/letter, if not try changing it so that it boots from it first.

The card may be the cause of the present issue but it does no harm checking other possibilities.

Horus79

Horus79

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Very true ;)

SFC finally reached the point where all files were good.
The PC runs on the onboard videocard now, so no gaming for a while lol, but at least it's good for (home)work again.
Now it's time for me to brainstorm whether to get me a new GPU with new PSU or just a whole new machine. (this one is about 5-6 years old now)

I'd like to thank you for all your trouble and help phillpower2, I really appriciate it! :thumbsup:

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts
Good news on the SFC results and well done for persevering with it :thumbsup:

Looking at your upgrade options with the present MB, can you tell us if This is your MB and which particular model of HP desktop do you have please.

You are most welcome BTW :thumbsup:

Horus79

Horus79

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Well, I don't like doing half work :P

That's the MB indeed.
The model is this one

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts
Hello Horus79

Upgrade options to consider are the Ram, GPU and the PSU, some information below to help you, let us know what you decide and/or if you would like assistance with any upgrade selections.

Use the Crucial system scanner tool to find the best recommended Ram for your system, no need to purchase from there, write down the details and shop around for the best deal http://www.crucial.c...ner/?click=true let us know what is suggested and we can also look for you.

Please note that before purchasing an add on video card that the following must be considered;
Is the present PSU (power supply unit) powerful enough or will it also need upgrading.
What type of case do you have, full tower, mid tower or SFF (small form factor) this is important as you must make sure that there is enough room inside the case for the upgrade/s, upgrading a SFF type system can be difficult as they often use propriety components such as smaller and differing shape PSUs and they only have enough room inside the case for a low profile type add on card.

As an asides we now know from your previous update that the case is the "mid size ATX" type and that the MB is the micro ATX type, please keep in mind though that you may also have add on card/s present that we are unaware of such as extra USB ports on a PCI card or a wireless adapter etc, if you are unsure let us know.

Horus79

Horus79

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Hi again,

thanks for all the info, I got these on my eye:
http://www.conrad.nl...6-DVI-VGA-HDMI?
http://www.conrad.nl...tvoeding-300-W?

The PSU I choose for its dimensions, wich are the closest to my current one, maybe a few millimetres difference.
The card is slightly better then the old one, but I';m sure it's a good fit for this sytem, worst case is that I need to remove my AV card wich I never use anyways.

The upgrade scan only told me what I knew, but was good nevertheless :thumbsup:

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts
Hello Horus79

Sorry but I would not consider either the GPU or PSU at your links and for the following reasons;

The GPU is low spec and this is reflected in the low price, for good quality video and gaming etc you should have a GPU that is at least 192-bit (256-bit would be better) Zotac is also a less favoured brand and an alternative such as ASUS, EVGA or Gigabyte as a couple of examples would be a better choice.

The PSU is a brand that I have never heard of (never a good sign) it is also low spec in that it has two +12V rails that only have 9A on each of them which when combined would not be powerful enough to support a half decent GPU, please see my canned text below;

Please note that there is one thing that is possibly worse than using a known poor quality brand of PSU and that is using one that is unheard of, for brands of PSU to trust and brands to avoid please refer to the two attached links http://www.10stripe....d/psu/brand.php and http://www.pcmech.co...ad.php?t=208143
PSU database http://www.realhardt...vos/Page541.htm

Before purchasing a new PSU it is advisable that you measure the dimensions of the present PSU and ensure that the new PSU has the correct power connections for the MB, HDDs, optical drives, FDDs or add on cards such as a video card if one is fitted.

Quality brands include Antec, Corsair, OCZ and Seasonic.

If you tell us your maximum budget for all of the intended upgrades and in which country you will be purchasing the items we will see what we can find for you.

Horus79

Horus79

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Thanks for clearing that up :D

Well tbh I only got about €100,- max to spend, wich is nearly nothing.
I'm looking to buy here in the Netherlands, wich negates the shipping costs etc.

Edit:
How about this power supply?
http://www.paradigit...-7/default.aspx

Edited by Horus79, 29 September 2013 - 09:06 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts
That is a tight budget and in all honesty I think that you should delay any purchase and allow yourself some time to save up some more funds to allow for better upgrades.

The Antec PSU at your link is not one of their better ones and if you check the PSU database it only produced 360W when tested + it is not 80% efficiency rated which should be the minimum for all todays PSUs and ideally they should be bronze rated to better protect your hardware.

Advertisements

Horus79

Horus79

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Cool thanks! :thumbsup:

You are right. I'll hold off till the budget gets somewhat higher.
Thanks for the time and efford invested Phillpower.

I'll stay around on the forums and maybe help where I can :cool:

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts
You are most welcome and a wise decision on delaying the upgrade :thumbsup:

You will find helping others on the forum most rewarding :) :yes:

Keep us posted and any questions please don`t hesitate to ask.