Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CPU Upgrade...What's the fastest CPU I can install?

• Please log in to reply

Webslinger64

Webslinger64

• PipPipPip
  • 567 posts
OK, so MB is an Intel Desktop Board DG965SS with a Pentium D 930 3.00GHz CPU installed. I would like to upgrade the CPU to the best/fastest CPU made for the MB. It appears that would be a Pentium D 960 3.60GHz. Just confirming that is indeed the case. Found the information here:

DG965ss Supported Processors

I'm curious if there will be a noticeable difference between the Pentium D 930 3.00GHz and the Pentium D 960 3.60 GHz?

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
The Pentium 4 670 is faster at 3.80 GHz, it does however only have 2MB of L2 Cache whereas the 960 Pentium D has 2X2MB.

You may notice a slight difference between the Pentium D 930 3.00GHz and the Pentium D 960 3.60 GHz but keep in mind that the performance of other hardware such as the Ram and video card will affect how the CPU performs as you could end up with a bottleneck caused by having a fast CPU but slow Ram etc.

Webslinger64

Webslinger64

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 567 posts

...keep in mind that the performance of other hardware such as the Ram and video card will affect how the CPU performs as you could end up with a bottleneck caused by having a fast CPU but slow Ram etc.

Good point. Here's additional information on RAM and video card. I hope it helps.

RAM: 3GB DDR PC2-6400
Video Card: Actually, there is not a video card installed. It's the onboard Intel G965 Express Chipset Family.

Also, am I able to upgrade the CPU to an Intel Core 2 Duo rather than a Pentium D 930? The reason I ask is that I found the following information on the MB product specs:

Processor
Support for the following:

Intel® Core™2 Duo processor in an LGA775 socket with a 1066 or
800 MHz system bus

Intel® Pentium D processor in an LGA775 socket with an 800 or
533 MHz system bus

Intel® Pentium 4 processor in an LGA775 socket with an 800 or
533 MHz system bus

Intel® Celeron D processor in an LGA775 socket with a 533 MHz system bus

Edited by konakula29er, 19 September 2013 - 04:09 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
List of supported CPUs please read the ! Compatibility details differ per processor revision information at the link.

Webslinger64

Webslinger64

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 567 posts

List of supported CPUs please read the ! Compatibility details differ per processor revision information at the link.

BTW, thank you for your help and expertise phillpower2. I appreciate the education and the resources/links/direction you have provided.

Have been doing a little research on my own as well and I hope I'm getting the hang of this. First of all, the Pentium D 960 3.60 GHz CPU is not found on the List of supported CPUs you provided. That CPU was found on the DG965SS Supported Processors that I originally linked to in my first post on this thread. Does your link/list not include Pentium D processors for some reason, or am I reading it wrong?
Also, based on the information I found here CPU Benchmarks and here Core 2 Duo vs. Pentium D, it appears the Core 2 Duo processor has it all over the Pentium D even with a slower processor frequency; 2.13GHz for the Core 2 Duo vs. 3.60GHz for the Pentium D. I read a little bit about the architecture of both CPUs and understand somewhat why the Core 2 Duo would be the best choice overall. Do you agree?

Edited by konakula29er, 20 September 2013 - 11:55 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
You are most welcome konakula29er :thumbsup:

You are correct re the CPU information as different links tell us different things, please see the Supported Processors information Here
Just so I am 100% certain (and do not end up with egg on my face :blush: ) that I have the correct MB and CPU can you run Speccy and post the url for us please.

Webslinger64

Webslinger64

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 567 posts

You are most welcome konakula29er :thumbsup:

You are correct re the CPU information as different links tell us different things, please see the Supported Processors information Here
Just so I am 100% certain (and do not end up with egg on my face :blush: ) that I have the correct MB and CPU can you run Speccy and post the url for us please.

Here you go Speccy Report

Thank you!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
Thanks for the Speccy url which shows that I did have the correct MB but as a final precaution I would run the Intel MB identifier tool which will also tell you what revision the board is,MB ID tool

The MB Specs are below;

Product Type Motherboard - micro ATX
Chipset Type Intel G965 Express / Intel ICH8
Max Bus Speed 1066 MHz
Processor Socket LGA775 Socket
Max Processors Qty 1
Compatible Processors Pentium 4, Celeron D, Pentium D, Core 2 Duo
Max Supported Memory 8 GB
Supported RAM Technology DDR2 SDRAM
Supported RAM Speed 800 MHz, 667 MHz, 533 MHz
Supported RAM (Registered or Buffered) Unbuffered
RAM Features Dual channel memory architecture.

I personally would not bother swapping the CPU due to the minimal gain that the Pentium D 960 offers, this because of the cost of a new CPU and the time, trouble and risk involved when swapping out a CPU (bent or snapped pins etc)+ your present CPU has a lower power consumption 95W as opposed to the D 960 requiring 130W.

CPU table

What you mainly use the computer for will best determine your options so can you let us know please.

Webslinger64

Webslinger64

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 567 posts

...I personally would not bother swapping the CPU due to the minimal gain that the Pentium D 960 offers, this because of the cost of a new CPU and the time, trouble and risk involved when swapping out a CPU (bent or snapped pins etc)+ your present CPU has a lower power consumption 95W as opposed to the D 960 requiring 130W.

CPU table

What you mainly use the computer for will best determine your options so can you let us know please.

This PC is one of two very old PCs we use at home. Its function primarily is just basic home computing. There is no gaming, video editing, or anything else being done that requires a high end PC.
Honestly, my purpose in doing this is not so much to achieve a significant performance improvement in an old PC, but to learn all I can about upgrading and building a PC. I am very interested in the process from A to Z. It has been very rewarding to post on GTG and receive replies from members like yourself. The resource links you provide are like textbooks and I like to read. Doing the research, the planning, making the purchases and preparing for the time when I will actually do the physical work of upgrading/system building is very exciting. At this point in my life, I have the time, the desire and resources to jump into this as a hobby of sorts. I guess what I'm saying is that I want to be more than a "computer user". Upgrading these old PC's allows me the opportunity to learn first hand what I will need to know when the time comes that I actually attempt a complete system build. I'd rather learn and make mistakes on an old PC like this one than to risk my newbie efforts on a complete system build that requires a real investment in dollars. At some point, I would like to build a slick system and invest as much as necessary to make it ideal for our needs, current and potential. I am chomping at the bit to get inside this PC case and learn all I can. Any system improvement achieved because of my efforts is icing on the cake. Just getting my hands dirty is the real reward at this point.
So with that said, let me present my current thoughts on this upgrade. The Pentium D 930 3.00GHz CPU is what's installed now. I originally thought about upgrading that to a Pentium D 960 3.60GHz, but I hear what you're saying about the nominal increase in performance plus the additional power consumption. However, it looks like I can upgrade to an Intel Core 2 Duo E6420 2.13GHz 4MB cache 1066MHz. Based on my research thus far, it seems like this would be a good choice. Power consumption is lower, performance should improve as there is double the cache from what is currently installed and it maximizes the bus speed the MB can handle, plus the newer generation of CPU over the Pentium D.
Please give me your thoughts on the Core 2 Duo upgrade vs. the Pentium D 960. I appreciate your help.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Please give me your thoughts on the Core 2 Duo upgrade vs. the Pentium D 960. I appreciate your help.

How about an alternative for delving into upgrades and tinkering in general, bid on some parts on a site such as ebay, that is what I used to do when I had the time.

You are welcome BTW :thumbsup:

Advertisements

Webslinger64

Webslinger64

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 567 posts

How about an alternative for delving into upgrades and tinkering in general, bid on some parts on a site such as ebay, that is what I used to do when I had the time.

You are welcome BTW :thumbsup:

I've actually been doing that lately. That and a local classified that I've had good luck with before. Can you tell me though if I'm on the right path concerning the Core 2 Duo vs. the Pentium D 960?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Can you tell me though if I'm on the right path concerning the Core 2 Duo vs. the Pentium D 960?

Swings and roundabouts as both have two cores and two threads, the core 2 duo is relatively inexpensive and not so dated and so could be deemed as an improvement over the Pentium D.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Gday.

Can you tell me though if I'm on the right path concerning the Core 2 Duo vs. the Pentium D 960?

They are in the same class/tier, benchmarking them would show a difference but I doubt you would see any improvement on the desktop. > http://www.cpu-world...tium_D_960.html
As you would be buying second hand and even though the CPU may work, it may not function to it's full potential.

Looks like your main goal is to gain experience and as you have a working rig, this is what I would do.
Benchmark first, including temps.
Ensure you have a means of reinstalling the OS/drivers/software. Backup Data.
Safety when working, always turn off the power and take anti static measures even when only handling parts.
Disassemble the computer until you just have the Motherboard on the work bench with only the CPU/cooler installed.
Remove the cooler, clean CPU/heatsink/fan, apply new TIM. assemble.
Clean the case/fans
Rebuild the computer and benchmark.
Do a clean install of the OS, practice updating, including the BIOS and drivers. Benchmark again.

Investigate using RAID and overclocking to enhance performance.

Webslinger64

Webslinger64

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 567 posts

As you would be buying second hand and even though the CPU may work, it may not function to it's full potential.

Is there a way to test a second hand CPU to see if it will function at its full potential?

Webslinger64

Webslinger64

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 567 posts
Alright guys, I picked up a used Intel DP35DP Motherboard today that is in excellent condition. Came in the original packaging, no bent or broken pins, and very clean.
Looking at compatible CPUs and was most interested in the Intel Core 2 Quad Q9650 3.00GHz 12MB/cache 1333 MHz, but I am wondering now if the Intel Core 2 Duo E8600 3.33GHz 6MB/cache 1333MHz would be the better choice.
I did a comparison between the two here. It looks to me like the E8600 might be the better CPU based on that comparison. I'm also wondering if comparing the two CPUs might be like apples and oranges in that a quad core may be designed for a different type of computer use than a duo core. Opinions?