Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help needed for upgrading PC

• Please log in to reply

kazman

kazman

• Pip
  • 1 posts
To start off this is my first post :-), I hope this type question is not frowned upon. Current computer:

AMD athlon XP 1900
Valcano orange fan
Asus A7V266-E
512 ram
NVIDA GeForce4 ti4600
LianLi ATX pc60 case
Enermax EG365-VE FCA power supply
Various hard drives

I would like to bring this computer up to date, I have been out of the loop since I built this computer a few years ago. Is it possible to upgrade and use some of the parts? I would like to do this inexpensivly if possible. Any suggestions would be great! One thing, I would like it to be quieter then my current cpu+fan combo.

Thank you, Ron

Advertisements

magusbuckley

magusbuckley

• PipPipPip
  • 626 posts
Hello:

Your question isn't frowned upon. In fact, we're excited that your going to upgrade your computer. Hmm, wish I had the money to upgrade mine. ;)

You make it sound as if you want to build a new machine and use some of your old parts to cut back on expense. That, my friend, is not really an upgrade. That's building a new system and using your head at the same time.

If you just want to upgrade your current system, try this website: http://www.powerleap.com. When you get there, you will have to install some software. Don't worry, I've been here and fully trust this site. The download is small, quick, and very easy to do. When you are done, they will scan your computer's hardware and determine what types of upgrades are compatable with your current motherboard. If you have to replace 3 or more parts, I recommend building a new system from scratch.

If you are interested in building a new system, just start looking for the hardware you are interested in. Don't hold back on ordering a good Motherboard so that it will be compatable with some of your current hardware though. That's a waste of your time and money. If your old parts are compatable with your new Motherboard, so be it. Consider yourself lucky and fortunate enough to save a few bucks. If they aren't, so be it. Buy something new that's fast and up to date.

Two things you really shouldn't skimp out on though is the Processor and RAM.

Hope this helps. Let us know what you decide to do and let me know if that Powerleap website helps you out at all.

Thanks, :tazz:

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
A new motherboard never goea amiss the performance gain from a new mobo can be substantial.
So keep the case the fan and the hard drives, and get yourself a new mobo cpu and ram along with a pci-e gfx card either a good one or one to keep you going until you can afford a better. Even a cheap 6200 or 5900 or ati 700 would be a substantial improvement on your current system.