Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Partition repair option not given...what next?

• Please log in to reply

Labellajay

Labellajay

• Pip
  • 4 posts
My son put a virus on his PC and I followed your steps for repairing windows with the cd but when I get to to section in which you say I should get the repair option for the partitions, it does not give me that option. I'm guessing it is too corrupted. So now I am stuck and I am at this page which list different partitions. What should I do? My PC won't run windows at all. I would appreciate your help. I really do not want to lose my pictures. Thanks.

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Please post a link to the instructions you are following.

Labellajay

Labellajay

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
http://www.geekstogo...air-windows-xp/

That third blue screen shot does not appear for me. Only a blue screen with a list of partitions appears with options to add new or delete and install windows in an existing partition. I thought maybe my PC was too corrupted so I just deleted the partition labelled F and added windows there. It worked then it crashed and said the PC did that to protect itself. I then ran it in safe mode with command prompt and got the PC to restore to a previous point which allowed me enough time to remove my pictures, exc.
I forgot to say, I'm running windows xp home addition. I did not have the cd so I purchased the same exact one for dell on eBay which is what I used.

Edited by Labellajay, 20 September 2013 - 07:59 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I think what you purchased is a recovery cd for your Dell. In that case the repair option would not be there as you stated.

Labellajay

Labellajay

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Ok, so what should I do next? I appreciate your help.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
The first step is to make sure your system is clear of the virus and any other infections.

I suspect that you have some malware on your computer causing issues that we are not able to solve through means we can use here in the Tech Forums. I suggest you read the 'Start Here' topic found HERE. With these self-help tools you have a high chance of fixing the problems on your own. If you are still having problems after following Step 3 of the guide, continue with Step 4 and 5 and post in the Malware Forum. If you are unable to run any programs, Please create a topic stating what you have tried so far and that you are unable to run any programs. Also, Please do NOT post the logs in this thread.

If you are still having issues after the malware expert gives you a clean bill of health, Please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).
Add a link to this topic so that malware tech can see what steps have been taken here