Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Compaq Evo N610C rebuild questions and advice --please?--

• Please log in to reply

indygurl1125

indygurl1125

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello there! Would appreciate ANY and ALL input on this.

Let me start by saying: I know this is probably going to sound silly and is probably NOT going to make a lot of sense and/or be cost-effective. I would like to look into the possibility of rebuilding my Compaq Evo N610C laptop; it is super old (I got it used, myself, back in 2006/2007) but it still runs like a champ and I would like to keep it that way, if merely for sentimental reasons.

To the best of my knowledge (which, I do apologize -- the well there is not incredibly deep), it is all stock. I am positive the battery is totally shot, and according to eBay, I can replace it for about $30. (This thing has to be plugged into the wall at all times, and if it comes unplugged, it turns right off. The clock always resets to January, 1980 at 11-something pm -- if this sounds like it's not the battery, let me know!)

What I am wondering is if anyone has any ideas about specific replacements for RAM and harddrive, and maybe a new fan (and anything else I might need?) and ballpark cost. I would obviously be taking this to someone to have the work done but I wanted to be informed going in.

The keyboard is totally fine and the body has no damage whatsoever, so I'm really looking just to replace/upgrade the innards so that it can keep trucking -- and maybe run something newer than Windows XP.

Thanks in advance!
Stephanie

Advertisements

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
Unfortunately, the maximum RAM capacity of the Compaq Evo N610c is apparently a mere 1GB. :(

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
:welcome: indygurl1125

Just to add to what the Doc has advised :thumbsup:

You need a minimum of 1GB of Ram for the Windows 7 32-bit OS, if that is what you have already then you are ok.

Please run the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor tool to confirm your options.

If you are not sure how much Ram you presently have run the Crucial System Scanner tool

Should you need to upgrade your Ram - Crucial Ram upgrade tutorial