Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

windows updates for XP received, now I am stuck! Help!

• Please log in to reply

CollieFan

CollieFan

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hiya, running XP upgraded to SP3 on a 32 bit PC, with Norton 360 and McAfee installed. Worked fine until updates for Windows received a couple of weeks ago, now if I am lucky I get to desktop and the whole thing seizes. If I try to reboot it is ignoring all input from mouse and keyboard. Have to shut down and try again. Sometimes nothing shows on the monitor, sometimes I can get in. Took it back via System Restore when I got really lucky once and it worked for a week, then it crashed again. I have no CD as the PC came with XP installed. Can anyone help me as I cannot afford a new PC!! Thanks in advance, folks. PS Having to do this via my phone...

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Have you tried safe mode? Tap F8 while booting and then choose "last known good configuration".
Also, you need to either get rid of Norton or Mcafee. Multiple virus scanners will fight each other and will give you less security than one. They will quarantine each others files.

CollieFan

CollieFan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Tried that, had no effect whatsoever. It still froze.Will dump McAfee once I can convince the PC to talk to me. Tried the Norton Bootable Recovery Tool I had downloaded last year - nothing, although it ran and scanned okay. When I finally got access to the system I managed to restore it to an earlier point and it ran okay for week, until the following Friday, exactly a week after the Windows update, and the whole thing happened again. Any other ideas gratefully received, and thanks for your help! :-)

PhrantiQ

PhrantiQ

• PipPipPip
  • 399 posts
I'd recommend attempting another Restore Point roll back. This time once it's rolled back, you have to go into your Windows Updates and manually try to install all the items (one by one) that is listed. This way you can control which one's work or don't, hopefully without any catastrophic issues. Also be sure to remove one of your antiviruses after restoring, if it was up to me I'd remove both (provided they are not paid for) and install Avira or just Microsoft Security Essentials. Either way, I recommend you also download and install Malwarebytes as a secondary scanner, which you will have to manually run but it is good for checking on the system (incase something does slip by the anti viruses, the malware scanner can give you a 'second opinion').

CollieFan

CollieFan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
If I can get in I will give that a try in the morning. Many thanks! Will keep you posted!

CollieFan

CollieFan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Sorry about the delay getting back to you! Received some news that put my PC on the back burner for a bit! I have tried what you suggested but nothing. Still getting to desktop if I am lucky then seizing up completely. Any more ideas gratefully received! :(

PhrantiQ

PhrantiQ

• PipPipPip
  • 399 posts
I'd recommend you go in through a Safe Mode if possible. I'd recommend trying Safe Mode with Networking first, as it will have access to the internet and allow more options.

Here is a guide for getting into Safe Mode with Networking: Start your computer in safe mode

Once in Safe Mode with Networking I'd recommend you clear out your MSCONFIG as best as possible. We can give it a more custom configuration later, if it fixes your issue. To do this follow these steps:
  • Open up a Run command, which can be opened using the keyboard-short-cut of Windows Key plus the letter key R (these keys must be pressed at same time)
  • Inside this box, please type msconfig
  • At this time, please either hit your ENTER key on your keyboard or click on the button OK
  • You should now see the window with a title System Configuration.
  • Select the tab called 'Services'
    • Check the box for 'Hide all Microsoft services'
    • Now please click on 'Disable All'
    • Please hit 'Apply' at this time
  • Select the tab called 'Startup'
    • Now please click on 'Disable All'
    • Please hit 'Apply' at this time
  • Now please reboot the machine.

Please see if system still locks up and post back. If it does, go back into Safe Mode with Networking and do the following:
  • Download and Install (or update if already installed) Malwarebytes. Once installed open it up and let it run a Quick Scan. Remove all items it finds and post how many items (if any) it finds in your next reply.
  • Close out of all programs and then download and run Temp File Cleaner (TFC). If this program prompts you to reboot, please allow it to do so. If it does not, please reboot and see how machine is running now and post back with all the results and details.

CollieFan

CollieFan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Ok will do. Will get back to you as soon as I can, thanks for your help.

CollieFan

CollieFan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
It's found 33. Five of which it has ticked for removal. One appears to be an Updater file, two have the name Crossover in, which is odd because I am not a gamer, and two others. These are both Microsoft Security Centre files, one being AntiVirusDisableNotify, the other being FirewallDisableNotify. Does this tell you anything and should I go ahead and dump these five or just dump the lot?

CollieFan

CollieFan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Sorry, should read CROSSFIRE!

CollieFan

CollieFan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
OH MY STARS! Just went ahead and dumped the ones it selected then rebooted as it told me to do. No longer in safe mode and it is WORKING. Thank you, thank you, thank you! If it plays up again I will be in touch, but for now consider yourself on a pedestal in this church mouse's (poor as) house!! :-D

CollieFan

CollieFan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
OH MY STARS! Just went ahead and dumped the ones it selected then rebooted as it told me to do. No longer in safe mode and it is WORKING. Thank you, thank you, thank you! If it plays up again I will be in touch, but for now consider yourself on a pedestal in this church mouse's (poor as) house!! :-D

PhrantiQ

PhrantiQ

• PipPipPip
  • 399 posts
Now that we got this far in, give it a run for a day or so and consider making a post in the malware section for further review of possible issues or items on the machine. I can also make more recommendations on this or further help with re-enabling some of the disabled items if you'd like.

Just let me know how I can assist you, if you want anything changed. If not, glad we got your PC back in your control!

CollieFan

CollieFan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Cheers, mate, much appreciated and I will do that.