Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Avira and AVG Setup File Sizes

• Please log in to reply

Chimiti

Chimiti

• PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
I have to temporarily use another Anti-Virus while I try to iron out my issue with avast.

Now ... I notice the Avira Antivir download at the Avira site is only 2 Meg.
And the AVG download is only 4.2 Meg at MajorGeeks.

I take it ... these are only Downloader Files for each?
I take it both of those are going to subsequently download some huge amount of MegaBytes upon clicking on their respective Setup Files icons?

I ask because I have Dial Up Internet. It is NOT feasible for me to download some huge amount of MegaBytes.
In contrast, avast I download the big Setup File and the Bulk Virus Definitions Update file on my sister's High Speed Internet. So no problem there.

Advertisements

Chimiti

Chimiti

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
Ohhh, Okay, I see now that FileHippo does have the FULL downloads of both Avira Antivir and AVG.
I guess I can download them from there with my sister's High Speed Internet.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Avira or MSE I would recommend but not AVG as it is past it`s best, please refer to the tutorial provided courtesy of adminHere

Chimiti

Chimiti

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
I ended up being forced to install MSE since it was the only one whose Bulk Virus Definitions Update file was an Application / Exe file.
Avira had a Zip file and I had no clue where I would have to unzip that file to.
AVG was worse. It had some Media File / bin File as its Bulk Virus Definitions Update file. It didn't make sense to me. So, that one too I wouldn't have a clue where to put that bin file.

So yeah, I installed MSE.
Verdict?
The 1st Quick Scan gave me a BSOD.
Then just reaching for straws, I ran that System File Checker from Tweaking.com's Windows Repair.
I then ran another Quick Scan and it completed without incident.

However, the FULL Scan was a super, mega, ultra SLOW ridiculous JOKE!
After half an hour of scanning, by comparing that to where the progress bar was at the time, it looked like it might take around 8 hours to complete.
I had never seen such a slow Anti-Malware App before.

So, where would the Bulk Virus Definitions Update files for Avira and AVG go?