Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Internet connection refused

• Please log in to reply

ohalixrose

ohalixrose

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Connected to network, but internet will not work. Posting from MBP about HP laptop running Vista.
Assistant cannot diagnose any network problems.

Wireless Network Connection Status:
IPv4 Connectivity: Internet
IPv6 Connectivity: Local

So far I have updated wireless card drivers [Intel® Wireless WiFi Link 4965AGN],

CMD > Run as admin > ipconfig /release, /all, /flushdns, /renew, netsh int ip set dns.
Reboot, same problem.

I am able to ping web addresses in CMD with no problem.
ping www.google.com
Ping stats- Packets: Sent=4, Received=4, Lost=0

I do get this message upon inputting prompts in CMD:
Resetting echo request failed, access denied.

I've scoured the web and have come up empty handed...
Removed WebRoot, disabled firewall.
Please help!

Advertisements

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,974 posts
Hi :welcome:

Let's try to refresh the system configuration...
  • open the Command Prompt as Administrator (Tutorial)
  • Now type or copy and paste the commands below one at a time hitting Enter after each.
    ipconfig /release

ipconfig /flushdns

netsh winsock reset all

netsh int ip reset all

ipconfig /renew

exit

Next,

• Open Device Manager click Start then on the Search box type devmgmt.msc and press Enter
  • the Device Manager window will open, click the View menu and select Show hidden devices
  • click view again and select Devices by connection.
  • scroll down the list to locate the drivers listed below, right click each of them and click Uninstall
    (don't worry these will be reinstalled by windows after restart).
    Ancillary Function Driver for Winsock
    Net BT
    Http
    NetIO Legacy TDI Support Driver
    Tcp/ip Protocol Driver
    Tcp/ip Registry Compatibility
    NSI proxy Service

Note: Each of these drivers will request a reboot after uninstall wait until the last one to reboot.

Post the result. Also did you try to access the internet with more than one browser?

PhrantiQ

PhrantiQ

• PipPipPip
  • 399 posts
Although SleepyDude's advise is all very sound, I would like to have one further item done and get you to post the results from it.

I'd like you to get the utility MiniToolBox and run it with the following checked items.
  • Reset IE Proxy Settings
  • Reset FF Proxy Settings
  • List content of Hosts
  • List IP Configuration
  • List Winsock Entries

After you've selected just the above items, please then hit GO. Once it's done running, which normally doesn't take too long, it will have a text or log file pop up. Please copy/paste that into a reply for us to review, along with the information SleepyDude had requested.
Once you post back, we will be sure to assist you further in solving this issue.

ohalixrose

ohalixrose

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thank you so much for your help, but I managed to knock it into submission..
I'm honestly not sure what ended up resolving the issue.
It's my coworkers laptop, and it did have 2 different internet security/antivirus programs on it (Norton and Webroot).
I checked firewall settings, removed Webroot (before discovering Norton lurking in the depths), reset dns server, winsock, and ipv4&6. (And reboot, of course)
Finally I manually entered the IP address and it worked for a minute before kicking off to local access only.
Reboot and reset to automatically locate IP address, and it hasn't had a problem since!

The only issue now is Norton won't uninstall, seemingly because it isn't updated. When I go to update it, their site can't locate Norton on the computer! Strange.
Ultimately, she would like Webroot back and to kick Norton to the curb, but I don't want to reinstall Webroot in case there was a conflict with the AV protection.

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,974 posts
Hi,

To uninstall Norton check this pages:

Norton antivirus ftp://ftp.symantec.com/public/english_us_canada/removal_tools/Norton_Removal_Tool.exe
Norton Internet Security http://kb.eset.com/e...ntent&id=SOLN41
Norton Security Scan ftp://ftp.symantec.com/public/english_us_canada/removal_tools/NSSRT.exe

Edited by SleepyDude, 23 September 2013 - 02:28 AM.