Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

black startup screen after login

• Please log in to reply

jtg22

jtg22

• PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
I'm using windows 7 64 bit home version on my computer. Since Tuesday, the screen remains black after I log into the computer (I can move the mouse around, but that's about it). The workaround I've been using has been to just restart into safe mode (which does work) and use a system restore to go back to Monday. I've been hoping that this would be a problem that worked itself out over time (maybe a windows update would fix it or something) but that hasn't happened.

There's another topic on this forum started by someone else earlier this week. I'm not sure if it's wise to just silently apply the methods suggested for fixing it or not.

Advertisements

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,975 posts
Hi,

Can you press CTRL+ALT+DEL to access the Task Manager when you have the black screen?

jtg22

jtg22

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
Yes. I can bring up the options to restart, go to sleep mode, access the task manager, etc.

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,975 posts

Yes. I can bring up the options to restart, go to sleep mode, access the task manager, etc.

What happens if you open the Task Manager and then open File menu > New Task (Run...) type explorer click OK

jtg22

jtg22

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
I checked the processes and found that explorer.exe was already running. I did what you said, and another copy of explorer.exe started running. The two had different memory usage; however, nothing seemed to happen afterwards.

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,975 posts

I checked the processes and found that explorer.exe was already running. I did what you said, and another copy of explorer.exe started running. The two had different memory usage; however, nothing seemed to happen afterwards.

Ok. If you boot in Safe Mode can you download files?

jtg22

jtg22

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
I probably can. I've never tried it, but i can boot up with network capabilities on in safe mode. Is there a file you want me to try downloading?

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,975 posts

I probably can. I've never tried it, but i can boot up with network capabilities on in safe mode. Is there a file you want me to try downloading?

Yes. Can you download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool x64 and save it to the Desktop?

In my opinion your problem can be better handled if we treat this like a malware case, I don't know if this is a malware problem yet, I just say this because moving this thread to the malware section will allow me to use more powerful tools to diagnose and repair the problem.

Do you agree with this? And let me know if you downloaded the file successfully.

jtg22

jtg22

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
I was able to successfully download that program in safe mode to my desktop. I have not tried running it yet.

If you want to move this to the malware forum we can.

EDIT: I went ahead and made a thread in that forum.

Edited by jtg22, 22 September 2013 - 04:55 PM.

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,975 posts
Hi,

So you can run programs in Normal mode?

Advertisements

jtg22

jtg22

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
Yes. Once I've done a system restore, everything seems to work normally.

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,975 posts

So all good now?

alexbrown

alexbrown

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Video adapter problems are the most common causes of the issue. So first reinstall your video driver.

jtg22

jtg22

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts

So all good now?

Should have clarified a bit.

If I do a system restore back to last Monday, everything works normally until I restart / turn off the computer. Once I've restarted / turned off the computer, the problem will occur after I log in, forcing me to go back to safe mode and do another system restore.

I've gone ahead and posted an OTL log in a thread on the malware forum as you suggested (it's on page 2 of that forum as of this reply). I've held off running that program you asked me to download since I wasn't sure what to do with it.

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,975 posts

So all good now?

Should have clarified a bit.

If I do a system restore back to last Monday, everything works normally until I restart / turn off the computer. Once I've restarted / turned off the computer, the problem will occur after I log in, forcing me to go back to safe mode and do another system restore.

I've gone ahead and posted an OTL log in a thread on the malware forum as you suggested (it's on page 2 of that forum as of this reply). I've held off running that program you asked me to download since I wasn't sure what to do with it.

Hi,

Now I understand, before continue on the malware section let's see if running some checks solve the problem or not.

Restore the system to Monday if needed to boot normally then I would like you to check the disk for errors:

• open the Command Prompt as Administrator (Tutorial)
  • type the command:
    chkdsk /r /x C:
    When it ask if you want to do a scan on next restart answer Yes
  • restart the computer

Next,
  • download ListChkdskResult
  • execute the file and accept all the windows prompts to authorize the program to run
  • Notepad will open with a report showing the chkdsk result
  • copy & paste the log to your reply

Let me know if after this you can boot normally. If you can execute the following:

Check Windows System files integrity
- open the Command Prompt as Administrator
- type the command:
sfc /scannow

Note: This may take some time to finish.