Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Download speed suddenly collapsed, upload unaffected [Closed]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

emeraldnzl

emeraldnzl

GeekU Instructor

• GeekU Moderator
  • 20,051 posts
Hello again RupturedHope,

I don't think malware is the cause of this problem.

Seeing that your laptop is not displaying the same symptom I am thinking it's not a modem/router issue. Nevertheless I guess you could try turning the modem off and back on again after waiting say 30 seconds to see if that makes a difference.

There is a repeated application error 0x80072ee7 showing in your logs.

Try the Fixit utility at the link below to see if that helps:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/836941

I think we can remove the malware tools we have been using.

Follow these steps to uninstall Combofix and tools used in the removal of malware. This will also clean out and reset your Restore Points.

• Go to Start > Programs > Accessories and click on Run
  • Copy and paste the the bolded text below in the box then hit OK

Combofix /Uninstall

Posted Image
Step 2
  • Double-click OTL.exe to run it. (Vista users, please right click on OTL.exe and select "Run as an Administrator")
  • Click on the CleanUp! button
  • Click Yes to begin the Cleanup process and remove these components, including this application.
  • You will be asked to reboot the machine to finish the Cleanup process. If you are asked to reboot the machine choose Yes.
Any other tools remaining may be deleted.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A reminder: Remember to (re-install if uninstalled during cleaning) update and turn back on any anti-malware programs you may have turned off during the cleaning process.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here are some things that I think are worth having a look at if you don't already know about them:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It is good security practice to change your passwords to all your online accounts on a fairly regular basis, this is especially true after an infection. Refer to this Microsoft article Strong passwords: How to create and use them.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Java warning

Java is a popular point of entry to your computer for malicous programs. The United States Department of Homeland Security recommends that computer users disable Java, see here. Unless you need it to run an important software the safest approach is to completely uninstall Java. Where you do require it, then the next safest option is to disable it in your browsers until you need it, then enable it.

How to disable Java in your web browser and How to unplug Java from the browser

If you do still need Java then regularly check that it is up to date. Older versions are the most vulnerable to malicious attack.

• Download Java for Windows

Reboot your computer.
    You also need to unininstall older versions of Java.
  • Click Start > Control Panel > Add or Remove Programs
  • Remove all Java updates except the latest one you have just installed.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To help protect your computer in the future:

If you do not already have automatic updates set then it is recommended that you do set Windows to check, download and install your updates automatically.

* Click Start > Control Panel > System and Security > Windows Update
* Under Windows Update click on Turn automatic updating on or off
* Check items shown to ensure you receive updates automatically. Click OK.

Be aware of what emails you open and websites you visit.

Go here for some good advice about how to prevent infection.

A fun way to check your online safety literacy.

Quiz - getsafeonline

After you have removed the tools we have been using and used the Fixit tool come back and tell me if there is any change. If necessary you can open a new topic in the technical section to see if they have a solution. Meantime I will see if I can think of anything that might help.

Advertisements

RupturedHope

RupturedHope

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
Apologies for my late reply, I was at my parents' for a long weekend.
I will run the check as soon as Airmech finishes updating. :thumbsup:

emeraldnzl

emeraldnzl

GeekU Instructor

• GeekU Moderator
  • 20,051 posts
:thumbsup:

RupturedHope

RupturedHope

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
ran it twice, both times got we did not find anby problems therefore no fixes were applied. :confused:

emeraldnzl

emeraldnzl

GeekU Instructor

• GeekU Moderator
  • 20,051 posts
I have found someone with a similar problem here.

The solution was stated as :

I had to manually update proxy information in Google Updater to fix this issue. Go to the 'Preferences' tab then click 'Advanced Options' and finally click 'Set up proxy . . .' Save your preferences after you modify them.

Tell me if that makes a difference.

RupturedHope

RupturedHope

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
That would amaze me since afaik the only proxy I use is Tor. But I'll try it as soon as I get home.

emeraldnzl

emeraldnzl

GeekU Instructor

• GeekU Moderator
  • 20,051 posts
:thumbsup:

RupturedHope

RupturedHope

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
Rightyo, tried that, to no effect. I indeed have only my Tor by way of proxy. :unsure:

emeraldnzl

emeraldnzl

GeekU Instructor

• GeekU Moderator
  • 20,051 posts
Looking back on the thread I notice I didn't address some points you raised at post #20

My keyboard doesn't appear to work until windows loads.

Have you checked that your keyboard driver (for that particular keyboard) is loaded?

I'll start by having a look in the bios settings.

If your keyboard works in bios it won't be that I think.

Maybe worth updating your bios anyway for any other possible issues.

More to the point : windows safe mode, even with firefox safe mode, did nothing for my network speed.

I don't know if I have mentioned this but you could try uninstalling your security programs one by one and testing between each removal to see if there is a difference.

Also have you raised the issue with your ISP? Might be something they can pick up with your machines settings that we are missing.

emeraldnzl

emeraldnzl

GeekU Instructor

• GeekU Moderator
  • 20,051 posts
Due to lack of feedback, this topic has been closed.

If you need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member. This applies only to the original topic starter. Everyone else please begin a New Topic.

Advertisements