Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

System Freeze/Lock up

• Please log in to reply

ILoveYou

ILoveYou

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
Heya!

I've asked this question for help in several computer boards but so far nobody has been able to help me. The problem is: While browsing websites or doing something on desktop my computer sometimes freezes. First the screen gets stuck, then when I click on anything the cursor gets stuck too and my computer makes one "beep" sound. Sometimes, when I wait for couple of minutes, the screen flashes, comp makes another beep and everything works again. Usually the only solution to fix this is to reboot. The funny thing with this problem is that it never occurs while playing games like Half-Life 2, Doom 3, Counter-Strike Source etc etc... Only on desktop or on Internet Explorer.

I've sent my computer to the repair once. The person who tested it said there was nothing wrong, except the processor which didn't support the memory I had. So he changed it. However, when I received back my computer and turned it on, after couple of hours it got stuck again. This is very random when it happens.

I have all the latest drivers and I've tried just about anything. Someone said it might be my hard disk which is causing the problem. I really don't know but I am sick of the freezes and the fact nobody can help me! My temps are normal and everything is okay as far as I know. Here's a screenshot of what happens alot: CLICK HERE.

Edited by ILoveYou, 08 June 2005 - 08:24 AM.

Advertisements

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy and welcome to G2G:

Could you please give your system specs including make and model, CPU, amount of installed ram, hard-drive size, operating system, etc!!

Murray

ILoveYou

ILoveYou

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Howdy and welcome to G2G:

Could you please give your system specs including make and model, CPU, amount of installed ram, hard-drive size, operating system, etc!!

Murray

View Post

In my siggy and my profile :tazz:

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
:tazz: Well that was easy !!

Okay, have to assume you connect via broadband??

I have had the same problem when my clicking gets faster than the connection can go..

Seems to lock the system until everything can get loaded then clears up..

The beep would be telling you to slowdown..

Try slowing down a tad and see what happens..

Murray

ILoveYou

ILoveYou

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

:tazz:  Well that was easy !!

Okay, have to assume you connect via broadband??

I have had the same problem when my clicking gets faster than the connection can go..

Seems to lock the system until everything can get loaded then clears up..

The beep would be telling you to slowdown..

Try slowing down a tad and see what happens..

Murray

View Post

I have ADSL. And the problem occurs also in the desktop even if I'm not browsing a website. So I don't think it's that ;)

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Go into Device Manager and see if anything has a yellow or red mark beside it!!

Murray

ILoveYou

ILoveYou

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Go into Device Manager and see if anything has a yellow or red mark beside it!!

Murray

View Post

There was nothing.

Edited by ILoveYou, 08 June 2005 - 03:18 PM.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Can you check and see what your monitor is set for as far as the "Refresh Frequency" is set at??

Murray

ILoveYou

ILoveYou

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Can you check and see what your monitor is set for as far as the "Refresh Frequency" is set at??

Murray

View Post

60 and sometimes 70.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Set it for default..

The only way it would be 60 and sometimes 70 is if you are changing it!!

Murray

Advertisements

ILoveYou

ILoveYou

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Set it for default..

The only way it would be 60 and sometimes 70 is if you are changing it!!

Murray

View Post

Yeah. But I've tried another monitor and it didn't help. I change it for the games

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Doesn't matter if you tried 6 monitors.. If you have set the refresh rate that's where it will be.. If you set it to Default or Optimum, then it will match what it needs to the monitor and video card!!

Murray

ILoveYou

ILoveYou

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Doesn't matter if you tried 6 monitors..  If you have set the refresh rate that's where it will be..  If you set it to Default or Optimum, then it will match what it needs to the monitor and video card!!

Murray

View Post

:tazz: The default is 80 and it still got stuck. I only started changing it after that. No need to be rude ;)

tazz1964

tazz1964

• PipPipPip
  • 608 posts
Hi
Do you run any adware or spyware removal programs?
If not look in malware for the programs to download and run.
If it was me the frist thing I would be changing is the power supply a 380w is a little lite on power for the AMD 64 I'll be running more like a 450w at the lowest 500w+ would be much better to have.
:tazz:

ILoveYou

ILoveYou

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Hi
    Do you run any adware or spyware removal programs?
If not look in malware for the programs to download and run.
If it was me the frist thing I would be changing is the power supply a 380w is a little lite on power for the AMD 64 I'll be running more like a 450w at the lowest 500w+ would be much better to have.
:tazz:

View Post

Hey! Yeah, I do. I have adaware and spybot. My PSU should be okay for this, but I'll buy a new one in couple of months. Don't u think that if it was a PSU-problem, the freezes would also happen in games? Oh and btw, how do I know which PSU I can buy? I was thinking about 650W's.

Edited by ILoveYou, 09 June 2005 - 04:47 AM.