Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

conduit removal

• Please log in to reply

GerryR

GerryR

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Windows Update installed IE10 for me. Eventually I opened it. I was greeted by a screen of banners, flashing ads, non-flashing ads, the conduit search engine and toolbar. I shut it. Alas electricity is faster than me - I was fully inundated with conduit in files (50+) and in my registry (200+). I turned on Firefox (my favorite browser, with Chrome a close second). I got rid of the toolbar and search engine and they have not made a guest appearance. That was three weeks ago. Then staying away from IE10 I googled my way to installing many programs to attempt to foolproof IE10. They appeared to work, although, since I don't need it, I closed it fairly quickly. Since I subscribe to the Windows 7 Forum I asked for help. I told to run Adwcleaner. I did. That left 12 files and about 50 registry entries. I gave myself full administrator rights and deleted the files, none of which were programs. Then I went back to the registry - all but one of the conduit keys were gone. It was clearly serving no purpose so I deleted. I thought that was it. It wasn't. Two days later (I was checking twice a day) four new entries by conduit appeared. Back to the Forum. I have run each of the following tools at least three times in the suggested order, a program to get rid of the toolbar and search engine, Adwcleaner, Malwarebytes, Junk Removal Tool, Temporary File Cleaner, and Hitman Pro. I was supposed to follow that with RogueKiller. Problem - while there is an English version of the tutorials, the windows are still in French and I have no idea, except for the requests for donations via PayPal what any of the windows mean. Therefore I cannot run RogueKiller. There's no sign of conduit, but somethings sneaking around and I suspect that it's conduit under a different name. It was diabolically clever of them to use the same name a a very legitimate program, but I don't use it.

As I'm sure everybody in this group does, I do show extensions of my files. I actually feel that should not just be the default - I feel that there should be no other option. 6 days ago the file extensions disappeared. I put them back. Two days ago they disappeared again. I put them back again.

Since the Forum seems to be so gung ho about my running RogueKiller I need a complete English translation including the windows choices. Maybe that will do it, maybe it won't. A lot of people say that it will. If I knew what I was doing I'd give it a try.

As to donations I am a big believer in donations. Although I'm in a very low income bracket, I've donate four times to CCleaner (Piriform), three to Wikipedia, once to Adwcleaner, and once to so many developers that I really can't remember who they are.

You have suggested running OTL, a program with which I am not familiar. I'm not primarily a computer person (that should be obvious by now). I have a doctorate in mathematics and a masters in statistics. Unfortunately, when I was 41 (I am now 66) I was driving at night through a green light. The crossing street was one way left to right. Totally unknown to me, but not to witnesses, a drunk drive traveling very fast uphill in the wrong direction on that crossing road and with his lights turned off became airborne and smashed into my car with his front tire smashing into my driver's door, i.e. to me. When I came out of the coma, which the doctors had not expected I could speak like a five year old child. I did not know my name or recognize my wife. It was ten years before I could multiply 7 times 8. Obviously I was useless in my position as the Senior Mathematician for a corporation of 16,000. I was put on company disability (I had paid into the fund) and then Social Security Disability. The insurers for my company disability then subtracted the Social Security Disability from my company disability. The insurance money has long since gone to medical expenses. I am basically functional at about a 135 IQ level, a precipitous drop. So please, when you give me answers, take it easy. The old me died that night.

I have two requests.

(1) As to OTL, is it interactive or turn it on and it runs. If the former any explanations would be greatly appreciated. (1a) Has it been thoroughly tested.

(2) Does anybody have a complete English translation of the tutorial for RogueKiller. My high school French also died that night. Should I run it?

(3) My primary email address is Deleted. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I want my system back.

I hope that I have not broken any forum rules. If so I plead ignorance since I signed up after midnight.

(4) A last stupid question: what is the site address for this forum - there are many "geeks-to-go" sites?

Thank you and good night.

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,598 posts
  • MVP

(1) As to OTL, is it interactive or turn it on and it runs. If the former any explanations would be greatly appreciated. (1a) Has it been thoroughly tested.

You start OTL up and then tell it to do a Scan or a Quickscan. It won't make any changes unless we tell it to by providing a list of commands and then tell it to Run Fix. OTL has been around for several years and is the prime tool on this and many other anti-malware forums. We know how it works and it works well. Like any tool tho if you don't know what you are doing you can do a lot of damage if you misuse it.

(2) Does anybody have a complete English translation of the tutorial for RogueKiller. My high school French also died that night. Should I run it?

I'm not a big user of Rogue Killer so if you don't want to run it that's fine.

(

3) My primary email address

- deleted. We don't want you to expose your email address to spammers.

(4) A last stupid question: what is the site address for this forum - there are many "geeks-to-go" sites?

For the malware forum? http://www.geekstogo...alware-removal/

Download OTL from
http://www.geekstogo...timers-list-it/
and Save it to your desktop.

Run OTL (Vista or Win 7 => right click and Run As Administrator)

select the All option in the Extra Registry group then Run Scan.

You should get two logs. Please copy and paste both of them.