Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need help building a home server

• Please log in to reply

kayj

kayj

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Wow, sorry for the month late reply. :(

I have been tinkering with it a bit and completely forgot to reply. It seems to be working fine at the moment. Pretty fast and smooth.

Windows Home Server didn't work for me since I didn't have an "authentic license".

Linux did work somewhat but I had trouble installing third party applications with the command line.

FreeNAS I just can't get to even LOG IN!

At the moment I have Windows 7 running off it and using Plex to make it into a home media server.

I think I will give Linux another shot.

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Tis OK, time always gets away from me.
Good to heart the rig is going good.
Trouble with nearly all the server OS programs, is clear simple tutorials for when you first start. Been looking now and again and this I think will get you going without any problems using FreeNAS.
A point I did not know is that the OS when installed on the drive, does not allow anything else to be added, use the smallest drive you have. In the first link, a bit technical, but some useful info, they recommend using a flash drive or USB stick but I would go with theEli the Computer Guy in the second link and use a HDD.
> http://doc.freenas.o...Recommendations
>