Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unicows.dll error

• Please log in to reply

StarHawk

StarHawk

• PipPipPip
  • 189 posts
dakotapicker

below are the 7 unicow.dll I listed before in the same order with PROPERTIES listed this time (red face)

That's what I wanted to see you had three different versions of the same dll. Now 4 with the one I sent you. If you follow my instructions you will only one version with two copies on your computer. I'm hoping replacing the dll will fix the adobe problem. If not we can at least rule that out. If that doesn't work I suspect jerryf is on to something, he usually is

what version of adobe acrobat are you trying to install?
Seven will not work, and 6.x seems to have problems with well updated win9x machines....as windows has been updated, there seems to be an issue within the installer package.

Altho you seem to be able to install 6.x just can't open the microsoft unicows.exe file. ;) I'll research it some. I used to have 6.x on this machine before I started using the Fox It pdf reader. I knew seven wouldn't work and for that reason some PDFs wouldn't load. My roommate has version 5.x on his machine and Fox it. Fox it has no problems with the PDFs version 6.x couldn't load.

I will download the FOX reader , I hope it will down load things that state Adobe.

It will open PDFs. It's worked on every one I've downloaded on.

I need to clearup some terms before I mess up something.

I'll try but it might not be your fault your computer is acting like that and I doubt you can mess it up worse than it is. At least by attempting to follow my instructions and failing. Nothing I've suggested is that dangerous.

1. Blank spot is this on the desktop?

I guess you are refering to

Now Right click the dll and holding down the right mouse button drag the dll icon into a blank spot in the my computer window, ie folder windows\system.

Here the blank spot is in the My Computer Window. I'm trying to get you to copy the dll into the Windows\system folder.

Will Netscape and IE look the same when going into MY COMPUTER etc?

I honestly have no idea what you mean by that. ;) My Computer is a windows program called explorer and it is used to "explore" your hard drive(s) and other drives. This program is what opens when you click on the My Computer icon on your desktop. IE and Netscape are web browsers: they are used to explore the internet. IE looks a little like My Computer(explorer). Although Netscape is probably a better browser to use. In My Computer netscape and IE have different icons. In windows when you are using the programs Netscape and IE look a little alike as they are windows apps designed to do more or less the same thing.

Does (drag) mean , right click (box opens) click, send to desktop? then back out of My Computer and see the desktop with the new icon?

Here I don't mean right click an icon and choose send to desktop from the pop up menu. I mean push down the right mouse button and holding it down move the icon somewhere

Carry out the rest of the instructions above, and let's see where that gets us. And I hope I answered your questions clearly enough. Good luck on the summer vacation thing. :tazz:

Edited by StarHawk, 13 June 2005 - 09:09 PM.

Advertisements

dakotapicker

dakotapicker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts
I had 4 and 5 adobe, now I have only 6. I went to a place to download a job application and was sent to adobe 7.1 to be able to get the application. 7.1 will not download if you have 98se, so I have 6.1. That is when the unicows.dll problem started.
I don;t have the windows cd unless it is part of the Microsoft Works Suite. There 7 disks.
What do I need to do next?

dakotapicker

dakotapicker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts
Per your instructions I downloaded Belarc Advisor, "all are green". I hope that means that part is OK.
I also checked and I have Adobe Feb. PDF along with the 6x.
When I get your instruction for (sfc) I will do that. We must close to the end of this trip. I sure hope someday some one comes along to help you , like you have helped me.
Foxit says it won't work with Netscape.

dakotapicker

dakotapicker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts
Hello
I don't know how or why, but I unistalled Adobe reader 4,5 &6 and reloaded 5&6 and now it all works like it did before the fall. Now I do NOT get the unicows.dll error message.
Thanks

angel115

angel115

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi Lads,

You can download unicows.dll on http://www.down-dll....l/u/unicows.dll

I put it in c:\Windows\system32 and it's work fine,

Angel.

Edited by angel115, 07 November 2007 - 07:52 AM.