Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

faulty power supply?

• Please log in to reply

panthertooth

panthertooth

• PipPipPip
  • 215 posts
So on sunday night I was playing World of Warcraft and all a sudden my screen went black and my computer rebooted upon reboot I get this message

"power supply surges detected during the previous power on ASUS anti-surge triggered to protect system from unstable power supply unit
press F1 to run setup
press F2 to load default values and continue"

So I go into the setup and make my way to hardware monitor and I see 2 voltages in red (see attached photo), I reboot and everything is good

So today I am running bandicam not recording but it is running I was gonna record some stuff in WoW so I log out of a toon to log onto another and I get a yellow screen , can't get out of it so I have to do a reset by my power button, I get back in WoW this time without running bandicam and I get another reboot with same message, I go into setup again and same values are red

So I turn off my computer and check all my power connections and all are good

Here is a rundown of my system
  • MB- asus m4a78lt-m le
  • CPU- AMD phenom II x2 560 blk ed overclocked to phenom II x4 b60
  • PSU-corsair builder series 600w cx (only one year old, was bought last august to replace an xion 630w PSU)
  • memory-4gb kinston 1600 ddr3 ram
  • hard drive-1TB hdd
  • video card-evga gtx 550ti
  • sound card-soundblaster
  • dvd drive
  • card reader

Attached Thumbnails

• photo (4).JPG

Edited by panthertooth, 24 September 2013 - 03:02 PM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts
Hello panthertooth

Can you tell us the brand and model name or number of the PSU please.
Sorry I overlooked it :blush:

Download Speedfan and install it. Once it's installed, run the program and post here the information it shows. The information I want you to post is the stuff that is circled in the example picture I have attached.
If you are running on a vista machine, please go to where you installed the program and run the program as administrator.

Posted Image
(this is a screenshot from a vista machine)

To capture and post a screenshot;

Click on the ALT key + PRT SCR key..its on the top row..right hand side..now click on start...all programs...accessories...paint....left click in the white area ...press CTRL + V...click on file...click on save...save it to your desktop...name it something related to the screen your capturing... BE SURE TO SAVE IT AS A .JPG ...otherwise it may be to big to upload... then after typing in any response you have... click on browse...desktop...find the screenshot..select it and click on the upload button...then on the lower left...after it says upload successful...click on add reply like you normally would.

Depending on the results we may need to run further software for comparison http://www.cpuid.com.../hwmonitor.html

Screenshot instructions are provided to assist those that may read this topic but are not yet aware of the “how to”.

panthertooth

panthertooth

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts
Hi Phil, I just edited my post the second I hit post I realized I had for got to add the PSU :whistling:

It is a corsair 600w cx builder series, was bought last august to replace a xion 630w PSU that I had

Attached Thumbnails

• speedfan.jpg

panthertooth

panthertooth

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts
I always have cpuid on my computer so if we need it it's there :)

panthertooth

panthertooth

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts
Nothing to do with what we are doing, But it has been along time since I used paint for anything and the first time I have looked at it since upgrading to windows 7 (I use irfanview ;)) but dang paint looks so much different then I remember !!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts
Hi panthertooth

Yes provide a HWMonitor screenshot for comparison please.

The +5 and +12V rails are showing to be bad in Speedfan which backs up the ASUS readings.

As an asides panthertooth Corsair are my preferred brand of PSU but the CX600 has had it`s fair share of reported failures which is possibly why it can be purchased for around $70, check out the Newegg feedback tab and on the very first page a user reports the same sort of erratic power output that you are having at present.

Paint is great for experimenting with when the forums are not as busy <_<

NB: Thanks for letting me know that you added the PSU details by way of an edit - I thought I had lost the plot for a moment :)

panthertooth

panthertooth

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts
Here you go

Attached Thumbnails

• HW.jpg

panthertooth

panthertooth

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts
So what should my +5 and +12 rails be running at ?

panthertooth

panthertooth

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts
Looking on corsair's website this PSU has a 3 year warranty and it is only a year old so at least it is under warranty

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

The +12V rail is again shown to be low so it is looking like the PSU could be bad :(

No +5V rail showing at all!

See what Speccy reports

Signing off shortly as it is getting late here and I have an early start tomorrow.

Tip

If you have something to add while waiting for a reply use the edit tab – bottom right of the dialogue input box and this will ensure that no information that you provide is overlooked (this can happen if your topic has more than one page)

Advertisements

panthertooth

panthertooth

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts
Here is what speccy is showing

So I am safe to assume that my +5 should not drop below 4.7 and my +12 should not drop below 11.4 , if this is true then dang I am watching it go down as far as 9.97 on my +12

Have a good evening and thank you for your help !!

Attached Thumbnails

• speccy.jpg

Edited by panthertooth, 24 September 2013 - 03:57 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts
Correct assessment (4.75 and 11.4) :thumbsup:

Same poor +12V reading and no +5V reading again.

If your computer is connected to a power strip try swapping it and/or try another power/wall socket outlet in case the power that the PSU is receiving is off.

Good news that the PSU is at least covered by a warranty - you are welcome BTW :thumbsup:

I will check back tomorrow, take care.

panthertooth

panthertooth

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts
So why would speccy and cpuid HM not show a +5v rail ?

I have sent a request for technical help to corsair, will keep you posted on how I make out !!

Brazened

Brazened

• PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
Some Corsair PSUs are made by Seasonic and those will be the good ones. I think your model is CWT made which are questionable quality. I always get Seasonic/Seasonic made PSUs. I have a Corsair CX430 in one of my builds and that one is my budget build. So far so good. My i3 system has the Seasonic M12II 520 Bronze.

Edited by Brazened, 24 September 2013 - 08:24 PM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Gday.

So why would speccy and cpuid HM not show a +5v rail

Not every monitor can read every sensor, in this case, Speedfan sees it, or,
the sensor is faulty. They are all software tools so many may be used to give an indication of the PSU condition The only accurate way is to use a Pro test tool, which puts the PSU under load, then reads directly from each rail. My local PC repair shop will do it for free, some charge a small fee.