Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Samsung Galaxy Player 4.2 randomly deletes music.

• Please log in to reply

axeman61

axeman61

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
I have a Samsung Galaxy Player 4.2 (Gingerbread OS) that randomly deletes my music files. Said files are on an external 32GB SD Card I put into the player right above the battery. The weirdest thing is that NO other types of files on that same card are affected by whatever is doing this. E-Books and Videos are always untouched.

There are 2 versions to this problem:
I've formatted this thing about 2 times from the player, re-importing my data to it after, because I get a "Damaged SD card" error if I let it go on for too long after seeing some music disappear. That can't be right though; this same error has happened with another SD Card. Sometimes after getting that warning, turning the SGP on/off negates it. Also, if I plug the player into my PC through USB, I can still see files, and the "GB used" count on the card is the same as if it had the files. Around the time these issues happened again after the second format, I figured out that the player sometimes sends music to the LOST.DIR folder, with a different filename where it's unrecognizable. That's the first version.

Thanks to this, I formatted a third time, this time using Windows' formatting instead of the one on the phone. Things seemed to go OK, but then the battery ran out one day. I recharge, and turn the player on to see some music files deleted. Not moved into LOST.DIR. Permanently deleted. I haven't gotten "Damaged SD Card" yet. That's the second version. I don't know what to make of this.

There are several possible causes to this problem:
-The main cause seems to be turning the player off. It seems if the player goes off without the SD card being unmounted (through low battery or some random reboot), my music files are now living on borrowed time. However, that's a really stupid cause IMO. This player can do so much, but it somehow goes crazy on ONLY my music when the player gets turned off without an unmount? Something else seems to be up.
-I use Poweramp to play my music on the SGP. Maybe it's doing something that automatically kicks files into LOST.DIR or deletes them. I haven't been able to find that setting though. I delete music through this program as well. Maybe it's bad at that. I don't know.
-I use Winamp to import music to my SGP. It organizes music into a nice structure with an artist folder, an album folder, and the songs within that. All the audio, however, is housed in a folder I made called Audio. Could anything about this structure be throwing things off?

Has anybody else gone through this problem? This player is awesome enough to suffer through this, but I don't know how many re-formats and re-imports I can take.

Edited by axeman61, 24 September 2013 - 09:33 PM.

Advertisements

Carolan

Carolan

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi, did you ever get an answer to this problem? My device is doing the exact same thing.

axeman61

axeman61

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
No, unfortunately. The only "solutions" at the moment seem to be not letting the battery run out and/or making sure you Un-mount before turning the device off (if you ever have to do that). Beyond that, I don't know (yet). Do you use PowerAmp on your device?

Carolan

Carolan

• Pip
  • 3 posts
No, not using PowerAmp. I have the music app that came with the device, and also something I downloaded from Google Play called Rocket Player, the free version. It doesn't seem to matter which player I use, though.

I rarely let my device's battery get below 30% - it stays plugged in when I'm using it unless I'm on a plane where I can't plug it in. My main use of the device is to read ebooks and listen to music at night during frequent bouts of insomnia. :) Last night I reloaded my music onto the device, added them to my sleep playlist, went to bed, and this morning I woke up the music wasn't playing. Rocket Player had shut itself off and when I restarted it, the songs were gone - the device was plugged in all night and I didn't touch it. I had the sleep timer set for 13 hours, so that wasn't the problem.

Oddly, this time I noticed that while the playlist was empty, some of the downloaded songs were still there, though some of them were definitely deleted.

I have noticed that the songs seem to disappear when I have "Accounts and sync" ENABLED. As long as I leave it disabled, the music stays where it is. So it must have something to do with when the device runs updates - and it only affects the music on the external SD card (a 24g card), not the internal storage.

Very annoying and frustrating problem. What am I supposed to do if I'm traveling and can't get to my laptop, where my music is stored, and have no wifi to access iHeart? :/

I will try dismounting the external card, especially before enabling Accounts and Sync. Maybe that will help.

Carolan

Carolan

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I ran across this older post on another forum:

http://androidforums...dir-folder.html

From one of the posts:

to this problem.
I had that same problem with a 32gb card. At first I thought it was that the phone couln't play/support the files but did some research and it worked out that the desire s supports flac wave, wma, etc. I tried many tools to reformat the card and no luck. Finally I decided to try using the windows installation disk and eureka! That was it.

Steps:
Plug the card to the pc.
Put the Windows installation cd in the tray
Restart the pc and in bios select to start from disc
Let the windows installation dialogue do its thing, when ready select the sd card and follow instructions to delete partition on SD card (be very careful to select the right disc and partition or you will irreversible damage your computer)
Follow instructions to create a new partition (fat32), when the partition is created restart the computer and log into Windows
Plug the card again and do a quik format on it (fat32)
Unplug the card and insert it on the phone
Take a photo with your phone (that will create some folders on the card).
the card should be ready to be used.
I currently have 10gb of uncompressed music in the card and is working perfectly.
I have posted the exact steps I followed, someone might find an easier way but this has worked for me.
By the way I got the card from ebay.

axeman61

axeman61

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
That's the thing that inspired me to format with Windows. However, I didn't go all the way; I only did a basic windows format on the card (which took forever); I didn't use the installation disk and all that. I recently had to reformat yet again (using the player's format system). Maybe I'll go all the way if this reformat doesn't work.