Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

cannot log into windows 7 - even in safe mode

• Please log in to reply

sportspeddler1

sportspeddler1

• PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
Because of all the help from geekstogo, I was able to get my computer up and running with dual boot - Windows 7 Professional 32 bit and Windows XP professional. With a few exceptions, it has been working pretty well. Here are the posts that pertain to the problems I was having at the time.

http://www.geekstogo...97#entry2299597
http://www.geekstogo...69#entry2301369
http://www.geekstogo...54#entry2301454

I use the Windows XP regularly for my business and except for an occasional BSOD it has been working pretty well. I use the Windows 7 seldom but something in it seems to be corrupt or a virus or something. Started about a week ago when trying to install a software program and got a message something like 'unable to install because a hardware device on your system is not functioning properly'. Sorry, I did not write down the exact wording. When I googled the message, most things I found suggested some sort of virus. I ran all the scans I could think of for viruses and nothing came up. I did get that same message ('unable to install because a hardware device on your system is not functioning properly') when I tried to run Malwarebytes but was ultimately able to run Malwarebytes with a clean install. Also got that same message when trying to run some other updates. None of the scans I ran showed any viruses, even a boot scan in Avast.

Since then, I really have not been on Windows 7 until today when I logged into it. Everything seemed to be OK. Installed some updates, then tried to update Adobe Reader. After the update downloaded I hit the install button and the screen just went blank for a second then the install button popped back up. After a few times of that I decided to try to do a clean install of Adobe Reader. When I tried to un-install the older version of Adobe reader, a message came up that I did not have permission to uninstall it (even though I have administrative rights). I then logged into my Administrator account, tried to uninstall it from there. It said I could not because the other account was still open. I logged off of the Administrator Account, logged into my regular account, then logged off of my regular account and the screen went blank. Tried to reboot. All I got was a black screen with a white cursor arrow. Tried to reboot into safe mode. The screen came up for me to log into safe mode, but when I tried to log into safe mode, it showed all the different things installing, but then I only got the black screen with the white arrow again. After several tries, I came onto here.

I'm sorry for the long description of my situation. Hopefully I can get the Windows 7 part of the computer repaired without doing any damage to my XP install, which is why I came here before trying anything else.

Advertisements

sportspeddler1

sportspeddler1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
Forgot to add... Thank you in advance for any assistance you can give!

sportspeddler1

sportspeddler1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
Someone in the Chat area was able to help me get into the menu where I could choose the last known good configuration and I was able to boot back into Windows 7. I am still concerned about some of the strange behavior and Avast just popped up that a rootkit was found. So I am going to start a new post in the Malware Forum for some help on that.

Thank you!