Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Google Chrome Standby Problem

• Please log in to reply

John Bull

John Bull

• PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
Google Chrome is my default browser and I like it very much indeed. I use Firefox intermittently for certain reasons and have always found it a superb browser.

I use Standby all the time and Hibernate often at nightly closure.
My OS is Windows XP Home

Problem :-
When on Standby or Hibernate, Google Chrome very often but not always, disconnects with the Internet and I have to wait about 30-40 seconds until the connection becomes live again. The period of rest is not relevant.

Firefox does not do this and returns immediately to the web page that was showing at Standby. Absolutely no problems.

I have spent a lot of time checking just about everything that may cause this with my Windows XP, Google Chrome and Firefox settings and configurations. I have found nothing wrong anywhere.

If Firefox works perfectly, then it must be Google Chrome that is the culprit, but I have no clue why.

Consequently, I use Firefox when I am repeatedly using Standby and Google Chrome when I am resting for longer periods.

I see no point in changing any general settings since Firefox is unaffected. Any adverse setting must be either within the Google Chrome program or specifically assigned to Google Chrome if outside.

Has anybody any clues on this ?

Screenshot of panel that appears after returning from Standby :-

Posted Image

Edited by John Bull, 26 September 2013 - 01:04 PM.

Advertisements

PhrantiQ

PhrantiQ

• PipPipPip
  • 399 posts
First and foremost, let me state that I don't have an exact fix or know the exact problem yet. So please bare with me as these first few steps I'll be posting are more to get an idea of what we're dealing with and information gathering.

STEP ONE: Gathering Some Information (Q&A)
  • Please let me know the answer to all the following questions:
  • Have you ever attempted to statically set your computers specific IP?
  • You state that it takes 30-40 seconds, however FireFox does not take that long - If you refresh a page via FireFox does that work? How about opening a new window/site with Chrome? Please be a bit more specific, as if it's simply not showing what it did before but it will browse/go online just fine - Then it's likely to be something with caching of sorts.
  • Have you tried IE to see if it does same thing as Chrome? Or possibly the same as FireFox...
Now that those are out of the way, I am going to ask you to run through a few steps to give me some logs so I can better understand what it may be. STEP TWO: MiniToolBox Log Gathering
  • At this point and time I'd like you to get the utility MiniToolBox and run it with the following checked items.
  • Report IE Proxy Settings
  • Report FF Proxy Settings
  • List content of Hosts
  • List IP Configuration
  • List Winsock Entries
  • List last 10 Event Viewer Errors
  • List Installed Programs

After you've selected just the above items, please then hit GO. Once it's done running, which normally doesn't take too long, it will have a text or log file pop up. Please copy/paste that into a reply.
STEP THREE: Security Check Log Gathering
Please download and run Security Check at this time. Once it is done downloading, please run the utility and paste the log that opens into a reply on here.  
Once I get all that information back, I or someone else will be sure to help you further.

John Bull

John Bull

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
@ PhrantiQ

Well, that is a really intensive reply and I thank you so much.

But before I start going through your steps, which involve a great deal of effort and compilation of data, I need to know precisely :-

Why Firefox is immediate on returning to the web page from Standby and Hibernate. This alone tells me that there is nothing wrong with any of the data elements you require me to list, otherwise Firefox would not work either. There is no common denominator, which points to some irregularity in Google Chrome and none in Firefox or Windows XP.

Before I engage in a massive data compilation, I must know the reason why the above logic is not valid.

John

PhrantiQ

PhrantiQ

• PipPipPip
  • 399 posts
Those steps would have taken you roughly the same amount of time to write that reply. However I understand you want to know more of the 'why' and 'how'. So here are some items on that...
  • Extensions and programs that may or may not hook into IE/Chrome may cause this, however rather than listing them all it's easier to review what you actually have and verify that list (which is smaller).
  • You've told us the issue but not what you've done to solve it or about IE having same issue or not. This is kind of vital, as Chrome and IE share some settings while FireFox does not.
  • Seeing as Chrome bases a lot of settings off IE, which is a core component in Windows - It is pre-mature to state that it does not relate to your Windows. Also windows each handle data differently to a degree, including locations and how programs are run - This may also be the key to fixing it.
Hope those reasons are enough, however maybe someone else can know an exact fix for you. So you're welcome to see if anyone does and they can help you from there.

John Bull

John Bull

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
@ PhrantiQ

I sincerely appreciate everything you have said and recognise it is the correct path to follow in tracking down a problem.

I do not use IE, but one of the first things I did was to give it a try and there is no delay on return from Standby. It is exactly the same as Firefox - immediate.

My puzzle is that on surfing the web and many Forums on this matter, I have seen a number of users reporting the same problem, but have never seen a single statement from a user saying that Google Chrome works perfectly on return from Standby/Hibernate. Even if I had, the number of users having problems would outweigh the issue.

In all the reports I mention, not a single answer has been given as to why this should happen and certainly not a solution in sight. This includes two Google Forums, where I put this exact problem to them. I had many views, but not a single reply.

My hesitance to go into any elaborate testing of my system is therefore obviously understandable. I see no benefit in doing all this work and divulging lots of information without having a logical reason why two major browsers work OK and Google Chrome does not.

John

PhrantiQ

PhrantiQ

• PipPipPip
  • 399 posts
You know what, forget it. The items I've listed change nothing about your machine and give me information that can be used to verify multiple items. As you seem to only want a solution but not to work with anyone in any way, plus you feel so strongly that you know so much about this - That I'll leave it up to you and maybe another person willing to help you.

Good luck with your issue!

John Bull

John Bull

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
It is not a matter of forgetting it, it is a matter of solving it.

It is so elementary that it is incredible nobody has replied on the issue.

I have posted this matter on two Google Forums, lots of views and no replies.
I attempted to prompt a reply from Google by stating the problem had been solved - USE FIREFOX ! Still no reply in defence of their precious Google Chrome - INCREDIBLE !

I posted the problem on another reputable Forum - lots of views but no replies.

It is not beyond the scope of imagination that somebody using Google Chrome has used Standby/Hibernate whether it is with Windows XP or not and has found that Google Chrome does not work with Standby or it does, but NOBODY on Planet Earth appears to be able to type just the following few words :-

!. YES, I have the same problem with Google Chrome and Standby.
2. My Google Chrome works perfectly on Standby.

With many web users complaining about this Google Chrome/Standby problem, I have no intention to subject my system to an autopsy.

My parting plea is :-

Can somebody please do the most simple thing imaginable and use Google Chrome for 2 days on repeated Standby and then - POST THEIR EXPERIENCE HERE ! A simple enough thing to do. There is no need to rip a users system apart when Firefox and IE work perfectly on Standby and Google Chrome does not. No prizes for guessing where the fault rests.

Edited by John Bull, 27 September 2013 - 04:10 AM.

PhrantiQ

PhrantiQ

• PipPipPip
  • 399 posts
Here you go. I've tested the latest release of Chrome on an xp machine and an xp virtual machine. Tests included both stand by and hibernation. I had no issues at all with any delay or pages not showing. I since installed firefox, no issues with it either and still no issues with chrome.

As to my line about forget it, that was aimed at trying to help you and my recommendations. I won't waste more of either of our time, but I fulfilled your last plea with my tests. I won't waste two days of my time but I set up scripts to run the tray over 100 times without fail.

As to guessing the issue or what is at fault... kind of hard for you to state that. You have not solved your issue, nor has the multiple other forums... Heck they have not replied even. So please do not assume my methods are not accurate when you don't know what it is and so forth.

Thanks and this will be my last reply as you are not wanting my assistance. Good luck on finding a solution without any testing/analyzing of your computer/browser.

Edited by PhrantiQ, 27 September 2013 - 05:29 AM.

John Bull

John Bull

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
Duplicate post deleted

Edited by John Bull, 27 September 2013 - 01:03 PM.

John Bull

John Bull

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
@ PhrantiQ

I am really sorry we appear to be travelling on different tracks, because you have indeed tried so hard to help, but it is not exclusively a John Bull issue, it is a problem experienced by many users on the web and it looks highly like a GOOGLE CHROME issue.

Since the significantly large sample of complainants is purely random, it cannot be the fault of all their PC packages, which obviously vary individually, it MUST be a bug in Google Chrome.

My Google Chrome is Version 29.0.1547.76 m

Just to give ONE example of this global frustration, see :-
https://code.google....s Owner Summary

PS - This thread was posted hopefully to find a fix/tweak/solution to the Chrome/Standby problem. I do not have to prove there is a problem, complaints are too widespread, there is a problem.

Edited by John Bull, 27 September 2013 - 01:17 PM.