Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

DBAN with new OS install from USB?

• Please log in to reply

joanna76

joanna76

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
Hey guys,
hopefully someone kind will be able to help me...
so my hp laptop is infected, it was malware amongst other things and i still can't open my security centre after numerous anti-malware scan and fixes...so yeah, I want to do a wipe and fresh install of my windows 7...

I got the OS on a kingston drive from microsoft using my reg details and it works fine.

I want to wipe all traces of the malware using DBAN or similar (any suggestions?) first, and then do a fresh install if possible from the USB...basically I don't know how i would go about installing from USB after the data has been erased, like how do I even get to the instal options once the OS has been erased?
I guess a run down of instructions is what I need...can I even do this using a USB, or do I really need it on disc?
Arghhhh!!! Its all so confusing for my not-so-techie brain.... :confused: :blink:

So thanks in advance, i really appreciate it! :thumbsup:
Jo

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
:welcome: joanna76

As you have told us that your computer is infected and you have now started a topic on the malware forums we cannot offer any assistance on these forums until you have received the all clear of malware by the specially trained staff on those forums, once you have had the all clear if you still require assistance with a fresh install of the OS please post back here and we will be happy to help.

Good luck with the malware removal.

Malware topic

joanna76

joanna76

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Hi phillpower2,

Thanks for the welcome! :thumbsup:

Yes I did figure as much only after posting the 2nd topic, duh...I'm a newbie to forums!

So I am going through some advice from someone on the other thread, hopefully it will work and then I may not need to reinstall, fingers crossed.

Thanks again,
jo

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Hello joanna76

Thanks for the update :thumbsup:

I am pleased to see that you are making progress with your present computer issue and hopefully as has been intimated by malware expert Ron a fresh install will not be necessary :)