Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Graphics Card upgardw

• Please log in to reply

Alan1998

Alan1998

• PipPipPip
  • 295 posts
So I am looking to upgrde my GPU given it's grossly underpowered for my build.

My specs are:

CPU: Intel Core i7 3770
RAM: 16GB dual Channel @ 1333 or 1600mhz
GPU: GT 620
PSU: 450w standard Dell power supply

I want to upgarde the GPU to a GTX770 for gaming purposes

If you need anymore info just ask..

Advertisements

TheBigHelper

TheBigHelper

• PipPipPip
  • 546 posts
Are you trying to know whether the GTX770 is going to be compatible with your PC? If so yes, the card must be compatible with your motherboard. The only thing I'd be concerned about will be the PSU. I've heard the GTX770 can eat upto 200 Watts on it's own. Add a 100 for your board, some more for the processor and it will be around 400. I recommend you to get a PSU with atleast 550W to be safe on your side.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts
Some additional information;

NVIDEA recommend a PSU with a Minimum 600W output

Please note that before purchasing an add on video card that the following must be considered;
Is the present PSU (power supply unit) powerful enough or will it also need upgrading.
What type of case do you have, full tower, mid tower or SFF (small form factor) this is important as you must make sure that there is enough room inside the case for the upgrade/s, upgrading a SFF type system can be difficult as they often use propriety components such as smaller and differing shape PSUs and they only have enough room inside the case for a low profile type add on card - the GT 620 is small in comparison to the more powerful GTX 770 and alike.

Price to performance ratio the GTX 770 is priced a little too high with worthy contenders for less cash being the HD 7970 and the GTX 760 - Benchmarks

Alan1998

Alan1998

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts
I was thinking about getting a 650W to 700W power Supply... So I know it isn't powerful enough to run a new GPU. I'll look into the GTX 760 and the Radeon 7970.. My computer wasn't custom built... It's and XPS 8500 from Dell. I'll look into the dimensions.

Thanks guys!

Edit: Now that I think about it, the 760 might be the better choice if I upgrade. The difference for the 7970 and rice difference isn't enough to warrant me getting it. Thanks again!

Edited by Alan1998, 28 September 2013 - 07:31 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts
Not sure in which country it is that you will be purchasing the upgrades but below are two possible suggestions for you;

GPU

PSU

You are welcome BTW Alan1998 :thumbsup:

Alan1998

Alan1998

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts
Sweet! I'll look to see if I have the room ni my case for it. Any easy way to tell other then measuring it?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts

Sweet! I'll look to see if I have the room ni my case for it. Any easy way to tell other then measuring it?

Unfortunately no :(

Things to look out for include any other possible add on cards in adjacent PCI or PCI-E slots, heat spreaders on some Ram sticks and heatsinks on the north/southbridge chips.

Alan1998

Alan1998

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts
Dang it. Okay thanks Phil!

Alan1998

Alan1998

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts
So, with the current specs I have and with a upgrade to a GTX 760, i'm asumming I could run most games and do other stuff like a VM?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts

So, with the current specs I have and with a upgrade to a GTX 760, i'm asumming I could run most games and do other stuff like a VM?

Yep :thumbsup:

Some reading for you Here

Advertisements

Alan1998

Alan1998

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts
Thank you. I'll read up on it ASAP.... Now time to measure everything. 1 last stupid question....

My current GPU has the fan pointing down. Is every card like that or does it not matter? If it has to be facing up then it won't fit.

Thanks again!

Michael

Alan1998

Alan1998

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts
So, I did the calculations to see if it'll fit. Nope.... The Fans make the card too big :( Oh well. Time to look for another card

edit: So after some idiot thought it wouldn't I redid the math for it. It'll be a little snug but it SHOULD fit. Just the fans worry me

Edited by Alan1998, 03 October 2013 - 04:08 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts
Would it be possible for you to post a picture of the inside of your case!

Alan1998

Alan1998

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts
Here it is...

http://imgur.com/aMroBLc

Edited by Alan1998, 03 October 2013 - 01:30 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts
:thumbsup: