Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Seven on a CRT monitor?

• Please log in to reply

Nimation

Nimation

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
Hi, I wasn't sure where to post this so sorry if this is the wrong section.
I have an old PC running on windows XP which had CPU over voltage problem. I thought the problem was CPU fan so I decided to change it but the guy at the store said that the fan was working without problem. He said the problem was all the heat outside and PC running on XP which is too much for the CPU (Intel Pentium 4 - 3.2 GHz.
He suggested to put a fan near my PC while using and use a lighter OS like Seven. The problem is Windows Seven default resolution is 1920x1200 and things look too small on the screen. (My monitor model is LG T730PU if that matters). Other resolutions are either too big and ugly or either too small. The best resolution is 1024x768 which I'm using right now on my PC but it doesn't look great on Seven. Besides, Seven doesn't run as smooth as XP does. I hope you understood my problem. I just wanted to get your opinion on the subject. What can I do? Should I use Windows 8 or anything?

Edited by Nimation, 29 September 2013 - 01:41 PM.

Advertisements

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,975 posts
Hi,

If the CPU is over voltage problem like you said and the PC worked before without this problem the machine most likely need a new PSU not a new Operating System that have higher hardware requirements.

Nimation

Nimation

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Hi,

If the CPU is over voltage problem like you said and the PC worked before without this problem the machine most likely need a new PSU not a new Operating System that have higher hardware requirements.

I just changed the PSU like six months ago so I don't think that's the problem. But I'll have to check it again.

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,975 posts

I just changed the PSU like six months ago so I don't think that's the problem. But I'll have to check it again.

Ok, How did you find the voltage problem?

Nimation

Nimation

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Ok, How did you find the voltage problem?

Well, when I started the PC, before windows boot up, an error would appear saying CPU over voltage or something like that. It also says press F1 to continue. Then when system starts, after a few minutes it would automatically shut down and it won't start again for a few minutes. I'm not having this problem recently though.

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,975 posts

Well, when I started the PC, before windows boot up, an error would appear saying CPU over voltage or something like that. It also says press F1 to continue. Then when system starts, after a few minutes it would automatically shut down and it won't start again for a few minutes. I'm not having this problem recently though.

Can you post the exact brand and model of the motherboard?

Nimation

Nimation

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Can you post the exact brand and model of the motherboard?

ASUSTeK Computer INC. P5PL2-E

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,975 posts

Did you try to enter the BIOS and use the option to Load BIOS defaults?

Do you know if you have the latest BIOS version for the motherboard?

Nimation

Nimation

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Did you try to enter the BIOS and use the option to Load BIOS defaults?

Do you know if you have the latest BIOS version for the motherboard?

Yeah, I tried to use default options many times but I'm not sure if I have the latest bios verion

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,975 posts

Yeah, I tried to use default options many times but I'm not sure if I have the latest bios verion

Can you find the BIOS version? During post use the pause key so you can read what is on the screen and any other key to continue.
During boot look for something similar to this:
Posted Image