Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Extending Wireless Signal

• Please log in to reply

rhymin

rhymin

• PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
I have installed a Medialink Wireless-N Broadcast Router through a PPPoE connection. I have a guest house outside of my main house that I would like the wireless range to cover, which it doesn't as of now.

I actually have an old LinkSys Access Point w/ SES device, but I'm not sure if this will do the trick. Will I have to connect the Medialink router to the LinkSys Access Point with a wire to re-transmit the signal, or will it detect it wirelessly? Maybe I need a completely different device altogether?

I think if I set the Access Point at the edge of the house, it might reach the guest house. But, I might even need 2 devices to re-strengthen the signal as I'm not sure 1 will get the job done.

I have never done anything like this and was hoping to hear suggestions from you guys who are a [bleep] of a lot smarter than me in this area. Thanks.

Advertisements

Matt_Marcaccini

Matt_Marcaccini

• Pip
  • 1 posts
You could connect the older router via an ethernet cable, setup a different SSID and use a channel opposite the one you're using in the house so you don't have interference. Then you might google pringles can wi-fi or directional antenna how-to's hook that up to your secondary router and point the directional antenna in the direction of the area you want coverage.