Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Administrator Question

• Please log in to reply

WilliamP

WilliamP

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts
I would like to combine them now. Then see what happens. The reason I started all this is because some how Microsoft Office 2010 wouldn't update. There was several Security updates and a Service Pack that wouldn't load. So I figured since I still have the install DVD I would re-install. Well I wound up on the Microsoft How to Uninstall Office web site and tried everything including manual removal. Still every time I try to install, it starts, then it says that an error has occurred during setup. So I wanted to be sure that my system set up is not the problem. I have made Screen Copy of the users list. How can I get it to you?

Edited by WilliamP, 30 September 2013 - 06:44 PM.

Advertisements

PhrantiQ

PhrantiQ

• PipPipPip
  • 399 posts
There is no real point if the issue persists, however this kind of tells us that it is not an administrator account issue as much as a faulty install/removal of Office. So with that being said you are welcome to delete the new user through the control panels user accounts.

Can you see Office 2010 in the Add/Remove Programs? Also have you gone through the manual removal? Beyond that, you said security updates and service pack - Those are for Microsoft Office or for your actual Windows? Either way, go uncheck all but one and go through them one by one, when you find one that errors out let me know what the error is and we can work on it from there.

PhrantiQ

PhrantiQ

• PipPipPip
  • 399 posts
I was thinking of another step I'd like to have you do. As now it's suspect if the issue is apart of Windows - I'd like to look into that.

STEP FIVE: Windows Repair Utilities
  • Please download Windows Repair (AIO - Portable) and go to the 2nd from last tab labeled Start Repairs. Once on this tab, please select the button Start. The warning that pops up can be followed or not, however sometimes running those at this time can be non beneficial or further worsen the issues.

Inside of here, please check all of the following items:
    • Register System Files
    • Repair WMI
    • Repair Internet Explorer
    • Repair MDAC/MS Jet
    • Repair Hosts File
    • Remove Policies Set By Infections
    • Repair Winsock & DNS Cache
    • Remove Temp Files
    • Repair Proxy Settings
    • Repair Windows Updates
    • Repair MSI (Windows Installer)
    • Repair File Associations [list]
    • Ignore drop down list, just select the parent.
  • Restore Important Windows Services
  • Set Windows Services To Default At Start
Once the proper items have been selected, please click on Start. If the program requests you to reboot your machine after running, please allow it to do so. Once you've rebooted please see if your issue persists and post back with the results and any errors/changes you notice.

WilliamP

WilliamP

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts
I want to have one user account lou as administrator. Then I should be able to check for remnants of Office. I followed their step by step manual removal and yet when I run a Belarc Advisor scan Office shows up. I am just want to be sure that it is not hiding in one of the user Accounts. I want to make sure that everything is in one account. It cannot be seen in the Add Remove list. Now when I boot the system it goes to the sign in screen. It shows two lou's on the left it is Lou and on the right is lou. If I click on the left Lou it loads. It is now just like it was. If I click on the lou I have to put in the password. All this makes sense. But in Control panel User Accounts if yuo go to the left panel and click on Configure Advanced Profile Properties it shows WEEZIE\Bill's and Weezie \lou. The Lou doesn't appear. I want to combine Bill's and lou.

Edited by WilliamP, 01 October 2013 - 08:36 AM.

PhrantiQ

PhrantiQ

• PipPipPip
  • 399 posts
User accounts don't necessarily keep your ProgramData or Program Files folders/installs. As for Belarc it searches for the keys and reports them.

You or someone likely renamed BILL'S to lou. It doesn't change the folder located at "C:\Users" just because you rename it. That would throw off all the shortcuts and links. So that should explain that for you. If you do go to the above location (in red, bold text) on your PC - What is listed in there.

Did you go through my last step also?

Edited by PhrantiQ, 01 October 2013 - 08:41 AM.

WilliamP

WilliamP

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts
C:\Users shows Bill's,Default, lou, Public and Bill. The last Bill seems to be empty. It shows an empty folder.

PhrantiQ

PhrantiQ

• PipPipPip
  • 399 posts
Public, Default = Windows items.
Bill's is likely renamed to Lou and is what you are/have been using.
lou is likely the one you just made following my instructions.
Bill if it is empty is likely a deleted/removed user.

Hope that clears it up. Now have you followed any of my instructions yet? What were the results.

WilliamP

WilliamP

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts
Yes I have run Windows Repair. It ran then re-booted. Then I noticed for some reason it killed me Avira Mail protection. So I re-loaded Avira.

PhrantiQ

PhrantiQ

• PipPipPip
  • 399 posts
Alright, so now have you tried doing those updates for Windows one by one? Which one fails out and what is the error it gives? Any further details would be great, including what errors exactly pop up when you try to install Office and such.

WilliamP

WilliamP

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts
The only updates that I have had problems with were Office 2010 updates. I tried to re-install Office and I get the same response (An error has been encountered during set up). I originally purchased the DVD. Supposedly it can be installed on three computers. It has been installed on three computers. This is one of them. It seems to accept the key code when it asks for it and doesn't say anything.

Edited by WilliamP, 01 October 2013 - 10:16 AM.

Advertisements

PhrantiQ

PhrantiQ

• PipPipPip
  • 399 posts
That error is not from your code being over used, it has a special error to alert you of that. This is more likely an issue with your prior attempts at manual removals gone poorly. Can you try editing the install location using a Customized Installation? Turning UAC off might help as well. To do this, follow the guide at the link HERE.

WilliamP

WilliamP

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts
My Control Panel is different than in the link there is (Change User Account Control). There is a sliding control and it is all the way down to (Never Notify) It was there the whole time.

PhrantiQ

PhrantiQ

• PipPipPip
  • 399 posts
Not sure what's different than yours, other than maybe your view settings which can be changed but not really important. Can you try and remove the Office again manually? Here are some links to help with that: Beyond those, I need you to make sure your Windows is up to date, it should not list any OFFICE updates unless office is installed, so you should be fine it the only updates failing were for your office.

WilliamP

WilliamP

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts
That was the things I followed. In HKEY-LOCAL-MACHINE, Software, Microsoft there is a folder Office. Inside is Common. Inside Common is Smart Tag. Inside Smart Tag is Actions. Inside Actions is B7EFF951-E52F-45CC-9EF7-57124F21-77CC I will not let me delete any of it. Could that be the problem?

PhrantiQ

PhrantiQ

• PipPipPip
  • 399 posts
You need to change the permissions to the registry folders then. Right click and go to properties and add your username as owner and full rights. Safe Mode may allow you to delete it as well. You must delete what it says, do what the guide says. Missing steps does NOT work normally.