Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Administrator Question

• Please log in to reply

PhrantiQ

PhrantiQ

• PipPipPip
  • 399 posts

If I put in the install disk and install 7 will I loose all the other programs and info?

Here is a whole post discussing this. Installing a 64-bit version of Windows 7 on a computer running a 32-bit version of Windows or you can check this out HERE starting at step 3 except you will boot to the CD/DVD.

I have Image for windows on that computer and I put an Image on drive E. How can I get to that?

Didn't you just boot to the image of windows to access the repair feature from it? Or am I missing something?

I also have an Ultimate Boot CD ver.5

That's a nice utility if you know how to use it, but right now I'm lost as to where you're at if you can't get the REPAIR CONSOLE/COMMAND PROMPT to work. Specially being you said you have the windows disk and I recommended you used it.

Edited by PhrantiQ, 01 October 2013 - 04:59 PM.

Advertisements

WilliamP

WilliamP

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts
I put in the install disk. When it got to the Install screen ,below the (Install) it asked if you wanted to repair the computer. I clicked on it and the screen came up with the Repair your computer. I clicked on it and it scanned for copies of Windows 7 and the only thing it found was itself in F drive. It couldn't find the one on the system.

Edited by WilliamP, 01 October 2013 - 05:43 PM.

PhrantiQ

PhrantiQ

• PipPipPip
  • 399 posts
The installation media shouldn't find its self really... Are you sure F:\ isn't the offline directory for your Windows installation?

WilliamP

WilliamP

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts
F is the cd/dvd drive. That is the drive I put the disk in.

Edited by WilliamP, 01 October 2013 - 05:55 PM.

PhrantiQ

PhrantiQ

• PipPipPip
  • 399 posts
So in Windows that drive normally is your F drive? Either way if you can't get the recovery console open, nor find your installation that really limits the commands I can give you... So please think this over again and try loading the F:\ drive anyway from the disk using the repair item.

WilliamP

WilliamP

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts
I have clicked on next and it went to the screen with the options so I clicked on Repair it said it couldn't find a problem. Of course that screen also has a Command Prompt.

Edited by WilliamP, 01 October 2013 - 06:26 PM.

PhrantiQ

PhrantiQ

• PipPipPip
  • 399 posts
So it works like I first advised? Please go back to those codes abs this time replace the 'd:' in both lines and type 'f:'

WilliamP

WilliamP

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts
I put in the Windows Install disk,when it got to the install screen I clicked on that I wanted to repair. The Option screen came up and I clicked on the Command Prompt. I put in what you had given me in Step 8. It ran a few minutes then said this (Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations) below that is x:\sources> Does that mean it is finished and waiting for another code? Still black screen with with cursor.

Edited by WilliamP, 02 October 2013 - 06:44 AM.

PhrantiQ

PhrantiQ

• PipPipPip
  • 399 posts
It finished the prior code. Now try the code for 'ChkDsk F: /F'

WilliamP

WilliamP

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts
Ran chkdsk. Still black screen. I have a question . When running the chkdsk shouldn't I put chkdsk c: /f instead of f ?

Edited by WilliamP, 02 October 2013 - 08:54 AM.

Advertisements

PhrantiQ

PhrantiQ

• PipPipPip
  • 399 posts
Unfortunately I can't compose a proper reply at this time due to work, however another knowledgeable member may be able to assist you in my absence today. If not, I have marked on my calendar to check back into this when I am at home and available.

WilliamP

WilliamP

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts
Thank you for your time and effort.

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,974 posts
Hi WilliamP,

Let's see if I can help...

• Turn on the computer and start pressing F8 to access the boot menu like this:
    Posted Image
  • select Repair Your Computer
  • on the Startup Repair process click Cancel you should see a screen like this:
    Posted Image
  • click System Restore, choose the last restore point from the list to restore the system
  • follow the on-screen instructions and Restart the computer to complete the Restore process when prompted

Let me know of any problem executing the steps above and if you can boot to windows after this fix.

Edited by SleepyDude, 02 October 2013 - 03:54 PM.

WilliamP

WilliamP

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts
Hello and greetings Sleepy Dude. I decided to bite the bullet and reload. But I do have some questions that you could help me with,if you would be so kind. My operating system Win 7 is on an SSD> While re-installing Windows it said that it recognized there was a version already there and it would move it and rename it. It said I could access it but not use it. I would rather get rid of it. Is that possible?

PhrantiQ

PhrantiQ

• PipPipPip
  • 399 posts
Do a custom install. Then delete all partition on the ssd. Then select blank Un partitioned drive and install to it.

This losses all files and installed programs fyi