Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Need a Database-like software

• Please log in to reply

Distracted

Distracted

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hello dear geeks, thanks to y'all for your generous advice on these forums!

I need a database-like software for a business, it can be web-based or offline, I'm just stuck on which one is best for my purposes. I'm not even sure if Database is the right word describing the type of software. I'm moderately tech-savvy, definitely not a tech geek, so I can't create this myself from scratch.

So imagine a database that can list hundreds of people with detailed profiles (a unique page per person), say clients. There are multiple categories of people. Say, the business who lists these clients is a medical office. The categories of people include: age, gender, ethnicity, diagnosis, number of visits, symptoms, prescriptions, results (+). Each client profile provides information about each of these with clicable links or tags which will take you to the rest of the clients in that category. For example, a client John Doe, white, is 34 years old with a stomach ulcers, has been to the clinic twice, with heartburns, stomachaches and indigestion prescribed antibiotics with results yet to arrive. When you click on "stomach ulcers", it will take you to the list of clients with stomach ulcers, if you click on "indigestion", it'll take you to the list of clients with indigestion. I would be even better if the program creates the lists automatically. Maybe sorta like Tumblr.

I can create a website, but it will cost money annually, and free web hosts give you limited resources that cannot accommodate this kind of database. I can work with Excel or Access, but I'm not that familiar with Access, and don't really have time to figure it out on my own. Any input will be appreciated!

Edited by Distracted, 29 September 2013 - 10:12 PM.

Advertisements

PhrantiQ

PhrantiQ

• PipPipPip
  • 399 posts
Honestly, there are software out there for medical items like this. They cost a fair amount of money, however you can create your own type of database with Access that will do this just as well. However you must create forms as well. Access really doesn't take that long to get the hang of, if you ask me. Each cell can also become a searchable 'group' or 'tag' quite easily. It's also light weight and fast.

Now other than this, you can look into other items that do have a price tag to it though. Let me know if I can help further and good luck.

PS: I know this can work as I had to make something similar for a small medical practice/urgent care center when they were starting up a few years back.

Distracted

Distracted

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thank you, PhrantiQ. The thing is, I need to buy Access for my Mac, so paying some money is expected for something like this. I just wanted to make sure Access can do what was described above before I invest money and time in it.

I'm not familiar with forms.

PhrantiQ

PhrantiQ

• PipPipPip
  • 399 posts
Forms are turning a simple database into a program/GUI like unit. With a form, you can have a picture of a + sign be clickable and open a window to type in the patients information, which once filled out can be saved as a new row in the records. Then you can have sort fields for each column, you can have search all fields area, you can have a show only button and then check boxes for what attributes to show or exclude in the lists, etc.

Access is a truly powerful item, that does not require as much experience or expertise as say programming something fresh from C++/C#/etc.

Distracted

Distracted

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Ah, I see, interesting. Is form a plug-in, add-on or a stand alone software? I mean how do you obtain it and how do you use it? Thank you!

PhrantiQ

PhrantiQ

• PipPipPip
  • 399 posts
See the following link for more information on forms, as it describes it very well: http://office.micros...A001034548.aspx

Distracted

Distracted

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks, I will check it out. :)